Help me buy my first watch "IWC" "GALSHUTTE"
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Help me buy my first watch "IWC" "GALSHUTTE"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help me buy my first watch "IWC" "GALSHUTTE"

Hi everyone

I must clarify that a couple days ago I didnt even know that there was so.ething called "mechanical" watch, and now I'm looking at luxury brands to find the right watch for myself.

Hope I could get some of your personal opinion on the following.

1- Im looking for a semiformal dress watch (something that isnt to bland but still can wear it work. Obviously it has to be something that I enjoy looking at. By "bland" i mean something like JLC ultra thin (it nice but not what im looking for).

First thing that caught my eyes was the IWC portugieser 3714 (blue and also the the white dial). Then came the Galshutte panomaticelunar.

Then i hit the breaks and started thinking...which watch actually justifies that amount of money? I mean yes the most important aspect would be a watch that I like to look at, but Im also wondering which actually justifies its price better? What brand actually holds more weight?

I dont care much about watch functions as much as aesthetic.

2- If Im going with the galshutte i might buy it it pre owned from chrono24, am i safe in buying from the sellers over there? Is it infested with fakes? Any tips on how to go about that?

Im not sure if I was clear enough

Re: Help me buy my first watch "IWC" "GALSHUTTE"

Glashutte. It's Glashutte.
    You have a lot of research to do before you will get useful answers here. Spend some time observing and reading the threads so you can provide some criteria for the watch and give us more to work with.
    Maybe go to a watch store and spend an hour before plunking down $8k.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Modern: Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Ralf Tech WRV 1977, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7068 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), 6309-7290 (1987), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984).

Firstly, slow down. Spend some time on here and learn more about watches and brands. The watches you are looking at, there are plenty of great watches in that price range and below. Firstly, what is your actual budget? Is this going to be your only watch or do you want other watches as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sebast975 and DutchMongolian like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Glashütte...

Anyway, like other said, ho, stop, slow the f down.

So many questions here. Spending that type of money on your 'first' watch is either a power move of a confident guy or an exceptionally dumb move. Most people would go for less costly alternative to try out the waters. Learn to walk before you run.

Did you wear watches before? Why these two brands? Both are excellent watches from excellent brands, but that is a lot of money. Go to a DA and try on all the watches before deciding anything.

Also look at cheaper alternatives. Take for example the Tissot visodate, Seiko presage, Stowa partitio.

Other questions you want to ask yourself at some point: what lug2lug range works for you (important if you can't try the watch in person), is this to be a 1 watch solution or is it going to be part of a larger selection?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by woiter; 2 Days Ago at 11:16.
    Sebast975 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Q8watch View Post
    Then i hit the breaks and started thinking...which watch actually justifies that amount of money? I mean yes the most important aspect would be a watch that I like to look at, but Im also wondering which actually justifies its price better? What brand actually holds more weight?
    First of all, welcome to the forum!

Before you drop that much money on a watch, get a good market overview. I would recommend to get a copy of Wristwatch Annual 2019 to start with, and see (only a fraction of) what's out there.

Name:  wristwatch-annual-2019-catalog-of-producers-prices-models-and-specifications-828800_00.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  46.9 KB

Prices range from about $500 to $500'000, and almost all of them are mechanical watches, so the price difference is in the detail.

Take your time, have fun and enjoy the ride!

Edit: regarding your second question, chrono24.com is pretty safe. There are private sellers there where I would be careful, but I generally trust the professional sellers with some track record there. In my personal experience it's a very reliable platform.
    Last edited by ffritz; 2 Days Ago at 10:21.
    RickHoliday and rfortson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by woiter View Post
    Glasshütte...
    If you correct people, please watch your own spelling..

This is the place we're talking about:

Name:  10-07-_2019_09-20-55.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  97.3 KB

It's Glashütte, a small town in the German region of Saxony, name meaning "glassworks". If we have to avoid the "ü" umlaut in our native language, we use "ue" instead. But "u" is also fine for international use. So it's..

Glashütte,
    Glashuette, or
    Glashutte.
    Nokie, Sebast975, rfortson and 1 others like this.

Thanks everyone for the replies...yes I have a lot of reading to do and thank you for making me take sometime to place more thought into it.

Info I've got right now

Budget - is 7500 usd, AD is giving me after discount 6500 for the IWC and 7500 for Glashutte

Size - I realised my hand doesnt go well with anything over 41

Watch will be worn for work , semi formal dress and maybe when Im going out with my wife for dinner or visiting friends (casual wear)

When i buy something I usually want it to be the only one I need, I dont collect multiple items that serve the same purpose.

Visual aspect is important, to me these two are quite pleasing to look at as opposed to all rolex , omega , tissot , tag , citize i saw. And tried

As has been stated that Im dropping a big amount of money so I want a watch that shows that. (Kindly dont judge me on that)

I will do my reading and get back to you on it.
    ffritz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ffritz View Post
    If you correct people, please watch your own spelling..

This is the place we're talking about:

Name:  10-07-_2019_09-20-55.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  97.3 KB

It's Glashütte, a small town in the German region of Saxony, name meaning "glassworks". If we have to avoid the "ü" umlaut in our native language, we use "ue" instead. But "u" is also fine for international use. So it's..

Glashütte,
    Glashuette, or
    Glashutte.
    I'm fairly familiar with Glashütte. When I lived in Dresden, there were regular visit to the area. More so for cycling and hiking in the Sächsische Schweiz.

'Glasshütte' was my autocorrect acting up, sorry about that. Glashutte for international spelling I kind of get, but it gives me the jeebies, as it would suggest a different pronounciation. I was always under the impression that when an umlaut was not available on let's say an international keyboard, you simply add an 'e', so like in your example of 'Glashuette'. This was more relevant in the time of the type writer. These days on computers, most fonts have options to add umlauts. There is no real reason to use the 'ue' diphthong anymore.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the replies...yes I have a lot of reading to do and thank you for making me take sometime to place more thought into it.

Info I've got right now

Budget - is 7500 usd, AD is giving me after discount 6500 for the IWC and 7500 for Glashutte

Watch will be worn for work , semi formal dress and maybe when Im going out with my wife for dinner or visiting friends (casual wear)

When i buy something I usually want it to be the only one I need, I dont collect multiple items that serve the same purpose.

Visual aspect is important, to me these two are quite pleasing to look at as opposed to all rolex , omega , tissot , tag , citize i saw. And tried

As has been stated that Im dropping a big amount of money so I want a watch that shows that. (Kindly dont judge me on that)

The good thing about watches is that few people realize what you're wearing anyway.

When it comes to beautiful and perfectly crafted movements in that price range, some small brands like D.Dornblüth & Sohn could also be interesting.

Name:  Dornblueth-Neue-Uhren-Baselworld-2019-2.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  73.3 KB

Here is an article Mike Stuffler wrote last year after visiting them:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/vis...t-4799515.html

Could be difficult to find one near you (Kuwait?) to try on, though..
    TheWhiteRabbit likes this.

Info I've got right now

Good budget you have there. It gives you a lot of options so take your time, especially if its going to be your one and only watch.

Look into the following In addition to what you already have your eye on.

Rolex: Datejust or Explorer

Tudor: BB41 or BB58

Cartier: Santos

Grand Seiko: Snowflake SBGA211G (You'll have to do a little more reseach on this one to fully appreciate it)

Blancpain: Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe

Either way enjoy the hunt. I'm sure you'll find what your looking for.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr Auto; 2 Days Ago at 16:56.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information