Help Me Buy A Watch!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By starter

Thread: Help Me Buy A Watch!

Help Me Buy A Watch!

I am a newbie here and also to watches. I was hoping someone could help me pick out a watch. Here are some of the things I'm looking for:
    -Under 1,000 USD
    -Sapphire Crystal(hopefully)
    -Metal band(preferably stainless steel?)
    -Rectangular

Thanks.

Re: Help Me Buy A Watch!

Lots of options. What kind of style are you looking for? IE; dress watch, diver, sports? Also do you want a mechanical/ automatic, or is quartz okay for you? Citizen and Seiko has lots of options for high quality quartz pieces, I recommend anything in Citizen's Eco-drive lineup. You get the low maintenance and accuracy of quartz and won't have to worry about changing out the battery as it is charged by solar. If you are looking at an automatic, Seiko, Orient, Oris, Tissot, and Hamilton all have great pieces that are in your budget and fit the specs you are looking for. Welcome, and good luck.
    Patrick M. Faherty
    JLP Enterprises LLC

CURRENT LINEUP- ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE REF 1500, SEIKO SARB035, ORIENT BLUERAY ( Making way for a 3-4 piece Rolex collection )

I was looking at Citizen Watch Company
    But it has no seconds hand, is that a bad thing? How can I be sure that the time isn't +/- seconds from the actual time?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hey Newbin, welcome! Another thing to consider is buying pre-owned... $1000 gets a lot more watch that way. And there are many used watches out there that look new, for all intents and purposes. That's the result of weirdo watch collectors who buy a piece, then keep it in a safe to take it out and stare at it occasionally, before losing interest and selling it a loss, ha ha...
    pz93c likes this.

as Patsbox7 pointed out, you have a lot of options

and regarding the sapphire crystal, to my understanding, most new watches use them, if not and the case is common, could pick an aftermarket sapphire crystal to replace the original non-sapphire crystal

a lot of dress watches do not have the second time, I guess they figured it makes the watch more 'dressy'?

and if you're willing to purchase pre-owned, then you're opening a lot more options (and much, much better brand/quality)

my suggestion is not to hurry, unless you have a time limit? if not, take your time and look what is out there,
    check out online shops like jomashop, thewatchery, alanfurman,

and if you don't mind pre-owned, there's tons of pre-owned online shops as well (european watch co, pduggan)

depends on your style as well, I would also google 'rectangular watch' and also add your preference (dressy, sporty, luxury, etc)

have fun searching and best of luck ~
    Last edited by ari.seoul; March 23rd, 2013 at 02:29.

I've looked for about some time, and I can not find a rectangular watch with a stainless steel band and/or sapphire crystal. (With a seconds hand)

EDIT: NVM, I've decided with a circular watch. More options and forced myself to like them. (:
    Last edited by newbin; March 23rd, 2013 at 04:43.

Banned

Have you checked out Christopher wards offerings yet? Lot of bang for buck!

Actually best looking Orient rectangular watch has a highly dome mineral glass (WZ0061EJ), but this sporty one has sapphire, check out the other colors.

YFHAB001B
    Orient Men's YFHAB001B Star Retro-Future Black Automatic Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

Last edited by cbaytan; March 23rd, 2013 at 17:29.

You have a lot of options, but in that prices you can find pretty good watch in HAMILTON.It is a good brand and the made a square one, take a look!
    I love my "Melon"

I suppose the second hand is missing in a lot of rectangular watches since a rectangular watch is often seen as a dress watch, but they're out there ~
    dont loose out hope ... unless you've been looking for years

regarding stainless steel, it's possible that you can buy an aftermarket stainless steel bracelet for your watch (stainless steel bracelet can be had for as low as $10)

1. Raymond Weil Don Giovanni, about $1100 on the grey market
    2. Hamilton Jazzmaster Tonneau case, about $800 on the grey market, leather strap version can be found at around $600
    3. Bulova BVA series 160, less than $400

1.Attachment 1019731 2.Attachment 1019764 3.Attachment 1019771

Thread Information