WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Help me choose between a Hamilton and a Mido

3K views 31 replies 29 participants last post by  kannome 
#1 ·
View attachment 1015421 View attachment 1015422

Help me choose between a Hamilton Scuba and a Mido Oceanstar.

First of all, I do not dive but take occasional dips in the ocean so I do not need a dedicated dive watch. I'm looking to purchase my first diver's style watch and these two watches are the ones I can afford and find the most visually pleasing. The Hamilton can be bought for USD380.00 and the Mido USD650.00. Is the 200m depth rating and bigger lumed indicators worth the USD270.00 difference? Is there a big difference between the 2834 (Hamilton) and the 2836 (Mido) movements?

#2 ·
No big difference in the movements and probably not a great deal overall. The Mido might have AR coating under the crystal which Hamilton's usually lack. I think the Mido is better looking. The Hammy looks rather busy with those numbers scattered everywhere. It sounds like 100m WR would be enough for you, but the extra can't hurt.

#5 ·
I think that Mido is HOT, and I'm not even a fan of dive watches. Mido is quite the underrated brand, and the examples I've held in my hands were very well done and seemed like excellent values.

I prefer the day / date on the Mido to the obnoxious SATURDAY across the top of the dial on the Hamilton.

I prefer the indices on the Mido to the Arabic numerals on the Hamilton.

I like the dial texture of the Mido better, although the Hamilton dial does look good up close as well.

The shape of the lugs on the Mido looks nicer to me, but that's a personal choice sort of thing.

The Hammy is a much busier dial, between DAY at 12, DATE at 6, and the 24h numerals on the inner dial. Not crazy about all that going on, but I like simpler dials and not everyone does.

Let us know what you end up with and have fun.

Reactions: Horologic
#14 ·
On looks alone - Mido.

Also, I've been impressed by the few Midos that I've seen (and the one that I own), but that hasn't always been the case with Hamiltons (and Tissots, for that matter).

#17 ·
I came into the topic ready to say Hamilton, as I believe that they are an amazing value and I do love the brand, but in your case I'd be more comfortable with a 200m watch if I'm in the water, so I'd lean towards the mido.

#18 ·
I own the Hamilton Scuba - I consider it my blingy watch for when I need to have something shiny on (granted, it's on a bracelet).

The watch is 40mm x 13mm, and feels every millimeter of its height - the very bluff sides with the bezel on top make it stand out.

The dial is kind of busy, so it takes an extra half second to get the time on it - I've seen the Mido, it would be much better for 'at a glance' reading.

The crown on the Hamilton isn't that great - it's kind of small, the knurling is slippery, and I'm just not a fan of moving it - in fact, it stays on the winder even when I'm wearing my other watches just because I don't like touching that crown.

As for the Mido, I'm not a fan of the all-lume hands - I prefer the shape of the Hamilton's hands, but I presume the Mido glows a lot more in the dark.

The ETA 2834 and 2836 are identical movements - the 2834 has the day that shows at the top of the dial, the 2836 has day right next to the date.

Hope this helps!

#19 ·
I have watches from both brands, not specifically these models, but I tend to like Mido more than Hamilton in general, they have great personality in person and just look classy. Hamilton can tend to look a bit "normal" in comparison. Dont get me wrong though, Hamilton makes some fanstastic watches, the Jazzmaster slimline, Intramatic, Pan europ are all superb watches, but given a choice between a Mido and a Hammy, I'd tend to pick Mido.

#20 ·
Mido for two reasons-

1- I have the watch you are looking at and it is a great piece of excellent quality! It glows like a torch and I get compliments on it all of the time. Very comfy to wear all day, every day.
2- Mido is not something you will see on everyone's wrist in a diver watch.

IMO for their price, Mido is a very underrated brand. Very good craftsmanship and some unique dial designs.

Hamiltons are very nice as well, but I agree with one of the above posts- "Sometimes their quality can be hit or miss", at least in my experience.

#24 ·
I know the Mido is more expensive but is the price you quoted MSRP? I bought my Mido through AZ Fine Time and they gave me a competitive offer. Authorized AD in the States if that's what you're looking for.

#27 ·
The day-date dial on the Hamilton is unattractive in my eyes. I would opt for the cleaner dial of the Mido. Mido also is brand that you won't see many people wearing, so your watch will be a bit more unique.

#29 ·
I'm a big fan of both brands and own multiple watches from each. In this case it's no contest... the MIDO is definitely the diver to go with, between the two. There have been numerous glowing reviews on various watch sites about the latest iteration of the Ocean Star. I came close to buying one last year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.