Help me choose: Hamilton Ultra-matic vs Longines Heritage 1973 - Page 4

Poll: Next watch

Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Help me choose: Hamilton Ultra-matic vs Longines Heritage 1973

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Help me choose: Hamilton Ultra-matic vs Longines Heritage 1973

I like the look and symmetry of the Hammy; that's the way I voted.
    "Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?" -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Hamilton, just like the shape more

Hamilton. Better dial, indices, hands and more legible. Better IMO in all regards.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Neither--for that look, I would get a Ball Cannonball (same price range, or lower, in the current market).

Perth Western Australia (born and family) but ATM I'm based in Queensland Australia in Townsville wi

Mate the Hamilton wins hands down!

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

Perfect timing as I just bought the Longines after comparing it in the steel to the Intramatic. I love the pictures of both, but in real life I could see why the Longines retailed for much more. Better finishing on the case and the column-wheel movement is very nice for the money. Better (alligator) strap. The Intramatic is nice, but just seemed more basic beside the Longines. The fact that I got a smoking hot deal on the Longines from an AD made it an easy decision for me, one I haven't regretted.

If you can see both together, it will (obviously) make it easy for you to decide what you like. However, you might have a hard time finding the Longines. I looked online to compare prices and all I could find were two used ones here. BTW, my AD beat their used price. ;) From what I can figure out, Longines only had this model in their lineup for one year, 2014.
    Last edited by rfortson; 2 Days Ago at 04:37.

Except the name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthbound View Post
    Hamilton. Better dial, indices, hands and more legible. Better IMO in all regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
    I spoke to my local AD and he was saying the Longines wears bigger than its advertised specs at 40mm due to the case. He said it wears very similar to the Monaco, which I could never fall in love with. That might have put the nail in that coffin.

Anyone else have input for a panda-esk Chrono?
    Disagree with this. It wears very easy on my 6.75 wrist and nothing like a Monaco (my buddy has one). I actually think the Longines wears smaller/the same as the 40mm Hammy as the lug to lug distance is slightly less, even though the cushion case is 41mm.

As for the bi/tri compax layout, it's modeled after a 1973 chronograph that was a 30minute bicompax chronograph. I actually prefer a 12 hour chronograph, and the fact that the hour register blends into the dial is a plus in my book as I get the functionality I want and the look I like. YMMV, of course.
    JonS1967 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    Disagree with this. It wears very easy on my 6.75 wrist and nothing like a Monaco (my buddy has one). I actually think the Longines wears smaller/the same as the 40mm Hammy as the lug to lug distance is slightly less, even though the cushion case is 41mm.

As for the bi/tri compax layout, it's modeled after a 1973 chronograph that was a 30minute bicompax chronograph. I actually prefer a 12 hour chronograph, and the fact that the hour register blends into the dial is a plus in my book as I get the functionality I want and the look I like. YMMV, of course.
    Congratulations! Would you please post a wrist shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried both watches and it´s a tough call: the Longines 1973 is suposedly a reissue of the Conquest chronograph, the last watch with the famous 30CH movement. In the original the case was the same as the Heuer Camaro.

Unfortunately in my opinion the reissue feels very big and tall, and it´s not as balanced as the Intramatic which has a much more basic movement but feels better on my wrist.

If I might recommend other three contenders, Longines produced other two column wheel chronographs that IMO are pleasant than the 1973 Heritage. One is the 1967 diver/chronograph, big, 300mt WR and high quality:

The other one is the Avigation Bigeye, small and compact...feels like a Intramatic but it´s superior in everything (for a small upcharge, about $400):

Finally Tissot makes its own 1973 Heritage, that I purchased last week and hasn´t left my wrist since then. It is slightly bigger than the other chronographs discussed here but I strongly recommend it against the Longines 1973 and the 42mm Intramatic:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by cuthbert; 2 Days Ago at 07:27.
    rfortson likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information