WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Help me choose last watch, Hamilton Pan Europ or Seiko SARX045?!

4K views 38 replies 31 participants last post by  jspeakman 
#1 ·
Yes l know, you couldn't get two more contrasting watch styles but I think they are both great for different reasons. With a significant birthday coming up (65), I get to choose probably my last watch purchase. So please, please help me decide.

So the Seiko would be a sensible choice perfectly complementing my Seiko SKX007 and SARB017. Beautifully sculpted case and bracelet with a subtle dark blue textured dial with bold white accents. Classy and a real work of art in my view.

The Pan Europ in complete contrast is a bold, brash piece of American retro at its best - a sort of horological hot rod. Striking and fun with a great balance of red, white and blue elements.

Which would be a keeper? Is the 045 maybe conservative to the point of dull or the Pan Europ simply here today gone tomorrow flash. Movement wise I don't think there is much significant difference.

Grateful for views

Cheers

Jez

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
The Seiko is a lovely watch, sure, but also kind of a snooze. The horological equivalent of belt and suspenders. It fades into the woodwork. Go with the Hammy...Celebrate!

#8 · (Edited)
To me, the Seiko is a well done, everyday watch that looks like a million other watches. If "basic" is what you're after, get the Seiko. The Hamilton is a lot more interesting, sportier-styled and prettier. Also, a lot more attention getting, and, I think the blue with white contrast will look much bluer. A dark blue/navy dial on the Seiko will look black in many situations.

#9 ·
Why is this your last watch purchase? You are only 65. Are you planning to be dead soon? Get the Hamilton and put a different strap on it. Love the watch, hate the strap. Why get some boring, bland Seiko dresser? That Seiko looks like every generic watch sold at Kohls. Live a little. Add a little flash and zip to your wardrobe. Just because you are 65 doesn’t mean you have to wear an old man’s watch.

#11 ·
As a happy owner of a SARX, I vote for the SARX. The baby GS Sarx'es look like a million bucks, stock photos dont do them justice.

Although if you aren't stuck on blue, maybe take a look at the SARX035 (black dial).

And don't say "last watch!" That sounds a little morbid ;)

#19 ·
I had the similar looking discontinued SARX015 which I gave to a friend as a wedding gift and I'm gratified to see he wears it all the time. It's a very good looking watch and I especially like the angular styling but in this case I'd say go for the Pan-Europe. It's a more fun looking watch and a nice change from the 2 Seikos you already have.
But please change that strap;)

#23 ·
Here’s my take..

The Seiko is what’s practical. It’s what makes sense, it’s what you're comfortable with and it’s what folks are accustomed to seeing you in. It’s kind of a no-brainer.

And yet.....the Hamilton is on the table? There’s a reason why. I mean, it didn’t stumble here accidentally. It’s here, as an option you’re considering, because you like it. It appeals to you. You’re drawn to it.

But still, it scares ya’ a bit, because it’s a break from character. It’s a step outside your comfort zone. At the same time, there’s a little voice inside ya’ sayin’ ...“Dude, let’s shake this schnuff up a bit and have some fun!”

So, which way to fall? I say zig left and stray from the path. Wander a bit. Watches are one of the most conservative, non consequential “no load bearing” ways we guys can let our swagger rip.

Let your swagger out. Like the old adage says....”better to regret the things that we did...than to regret the things that we didn’t do”.

Haha...good luck, and here’s to many more birthdays....and watches!

#28 ·
Here's my take..

The Seiko is what's practical. It's what makes sense, it's what you're comfortable with and it's what folks are accustomed to seeing you in. It's kind of a no-brainer.

And yet.....the Hamilton is on the table? There's a reason why. I mean, it didn't stumble here accidentally. It's here, as an option you're considering, because you like it. It appeals to you. You're drawn to it.

But still, it scares ya' a bit, because it's a break from character. It's a step outside your comfort zone. At the same time, there's a little voice inside ya' sayin' ..."Dude, let's shake this schnuff up a bit and have some fun!"

So, which way to fall? I say zig left and stray from the path. Wander a bit. Watches are one of the most conservative, non consequential "no load bearing" ways we guys can let our swagger rip.

Let your swagger out. Like the old adage says...."better to regret the things that we did...than to regret the things that we didn't do".

Haha...good luck, and here's to many more birthdays....and watches!
Wonderful and absolutely spot on! It's like do you go for the beautiful, luxurious and eminently practical Mercedes or the rip-roaring, thunderous Mustang? Thanks to everyone for making this a great thread and wonderful supportive comments. 'Last watch' is no longer an option so the answer is obvious but a question still remains of course. 'This is no time for caution' but I think you know which brand I'll go for first - because it's necessary ;-).

Cheers

Jez

#25 ·
I'd go with the Hami, I love the brand and that model in particular is so good looking and has (IMO) a rather cool movement it really isn't even a question. Not that I'd say anything unpositive about the Seiko but it just doesn't have that American spirit as they say lol

#30 ·
By the second page I had to go back and see what the Seiko looked like... totally forgettable!

Hammy all the way, but I would save up and find the chrono version. And re-sell down the road, you'd be far ahead as well... if you could ever part with it. The choice is clear.

#31 ·
The chrono is much bigger than the 3-hand. Recently got one from Ashford on sale for $550. Never seen the 3-hand version less than $700.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.