help me choose movement for my custom dial watches

Thread: help me choose movement for my custom dial watches

help me choose movement for my custom dial watches

Hi guys, I am planning to make my first custom dial watches for my parents and grandparents, but I cannot decide on the movement that I should use. I am thinking between:
    automatic:
    1. miyota M8215
    2. miyota M8245
    3. miyota M9015
    4. sea gull movement: I need recommendation

quartz:
    I am not sure about the type, but I am thinking about miyota or ronda movement. suggestion are very welcome :)

I heard that miyota's automatic have some issues. is it true? do you know the dimension of these movements? everything is in ligne, and I can't find any proper conversion table for ligne.

can you recommend me other movement? my budget for each movement is around $40-80. the diameter of the dial has to be around 25-30mm

does removing the dial of these movement require any special technique? I have practiced with several cheap chinese watch, but I am not sure if other movement require more sophisticated technique to remove and reassembly the dial. Thank you
    Last edited by watchseeker101; April 2nd, 2015 at 05:53.

Re: help me choose movement for my custom dial watches

anyone... :(

Re: help me choose movement for my custom dial watches

If you are making gift watches please consider whether a mechanical or battery powered quartz movement would be more appreciated by the recepient. In my experience most non-watch collectors appreciate the convenience and accuracy of quartz. A watch that stops running after 2 days of nonuse would remain in the drawer. For ideas on movements please visit a parts supplier like Ofrei. The quartz movement link is below. If you are assembling dials, hands, cases and movements you have quite a project to make all those items fit together and look good. To be honest I think you would be better off spending your money on nice new watches from existing companies like Seiko, Citizen, Tissot, etc.

Quartz Watch Movements

Thread Information