Help me choose! Sinn? Tudor? Ball?
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Help me choose! Sinn? Tudor? Ball?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Help me choose! Sinn? Tudor? Ball?

Hey all,

It's been awhile since I've posted, but I've got the itch and I think it's about time I scratch it. I'm hoping the forum can help.

I'm in the market for a timepiece that is close to the ol' go anywhere, do anything. But it's not my only watch, so it doesn't have to truly fit that bill. Right now I generally alternate between a black Christoper Ward C61 on a leather NATO and a Breitling Colt on the standard black leather. I've also got a white CW Malvern chronograph and a Seiko SNZH53 that occasionally get wrist time.

For my next watch, I'm looking for something different from what I have that will work — to a varying extent — dressed up or dressed down. I don't often wear a suit, but when I do I like to look as sharp as possible. I would say my style is fairly classic, maybe New England like upscale rugged? I want whatever I get to be able to work with that aesthetic. If it helps, I'm in my early 30s. I was initially set on a field watch, though I've diverged a bit from that. So after much looking and thought, I've narrowed my choices to a few watches. I'm by no means set on getting one of these, but it's where I am at the moment. So feel free to throw out other suggestions. I would say my budget is $2,500. I don't *need* to spend that much, but I would for the right watch. I want decent water resistance and something versatile enough to swap out straps. I would like to stay at 40mm or below. I'm not looking for something in-your-face blingy but I do like a little bit of polish.

So, here we go, in order of my current thinking.

Ball Fireman Enterprise.
    Name:  Ball.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  50.9 KB
    I really like Ball, in part because it's a little less common but still has a nice pedigree, even if it does have new owners (what company doesn't?) The Fireman Enterprise has a classic design that I think would work well dressed up or on a NATO in a t-shirt and shorts, and I love the small details like the RR on the counterweight for the seconds hand. I can see this working on the beach or under the cuff of a suit. It's a nice size at 40 mm and just over 11mm thick. I also like the idea of the tritium tubes. It's also reasonably priced at under $1000. Added bonus, I've got a Ball AD here in town. I don't generally love the cyclops, but I think it works OK on this watch. It sort of has that vibe of a dressy sports watch to me. Some might say it's more dressy than sport? Still, this is a narrow leader at the moment.

Sinn 104 St Sa 1

Name:  sinn.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  36.5 KB
    Like the Ball, Sinn is a little under-the-radar. Again, I feel it's a classic design. I don't have a pilot watch in my collection at the moment, so it would tick that box. I really like the understated style, the black day/date wheel, and the wife is a big fan of this one, which makes it all the more appealing. Besides me, she's gonna see it more than anyone else. It's a little larger than my target, but I assume it would wear a big smaller because of the bezel. That said, I have more watches with chunky bezels and I'm looking for something a little different.

Tudor Ranger

Name:  zs-113391s-Edit.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  191.7 KB

I initially started my search for a field watch, as I don't have one. I considered the Rolex Explorer, but I'm afraid it's too expensive and too polished. I know a lot of people like the Hamiltons, but they don't really do it for me. I like the idea of a watch that I can wear on vacation when I'm out hiking or kayaking and then keep it on my wrist at a nice restaurant. That said, it's the most expensive watch on my list and I don't know if I really would wear it in some of those more active situations that normally my CW61 serves. I do, though, think it's a versatile watch for strap options and I love the retro look. I'm also a big fan of what Tudor is doing right now and very much like the idea of having one. Will it look right with a suit though? It seems a mostly casual watch.

Steinhart Ocean vintage GMT

Name:  steinhart.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  111.0 KB

So this one is a bit of a wildcard here, because it's larger than what I'm looking for. But I just love the look of it and I don't have a GMT. Price is hard to beat and it has a retro cool vibe. If I were to go with one of the cheaper watches on my list, this could also find its way into my collection. I don't generally love things that are really, really similar homages, but in this case, with the 1655 being WAY out of my price range and long discontinued, it doesn't bother me. This would not be a watch I would regularly dress up. But at the price point, I'm OK with that.

Other watches I've considered but am leaning against are the Longines Conquest 38, which I think is a little too tall for me, the Junghans Max Bill, which I love but I don't know that I'd wear it enough to make it worth the purchase, and the Tudor Black Bay 41, which I tried on and liked but I'm not sure I can get past the snowflake hand. I love it on the diver, not so much on the field watch.

I appreciate any thoughts or observations based on your own ownership and/or wild speculation. And if you have any other suggestions, feel free to share!

Thanks!

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

Re: Help me choose! Sinn? Tudor? Ball?

I recommend the Sinn 104. It's a strap monster with classic looks and already has the WAF (wife approval factor) going for it.
    mike1g, Roadwriter and grayfox8647 like this.

Banned

For me it would be the Sinn

Name:  sinn.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  36.5 KB
    Roadwriter likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You're going to be bombarded with comments to go with the Tudor and perhaps rightly so, but pricewise, you're comparing apples to oranges.
    For my 2 cents, the Ball is a real sleeper. I'd love to see one in person. I do have the Sinn, and love it! It does wear small too due to the downward slope of the lugs. It's been tough to wear anything else since I got it.
    Roadwriter and Smaug like this.

Nice choices. I have two Ball watches in the collection and regard them as the best values in the bunch. It's crazy what you can pick one up for compared both to retail price and competitors in the same range.

Re your longings for a GMT, imho there are better options in your price range than a Steinhart. Several that come to mind include the Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro, Sinn 857, Alpina Alpiner 4, Mühle Terrasport IV, and (for a GMT/diver, cover-all-bases option) Mühle Seebataillon GMT.
    Roadwriter likes this.
    “I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.” Umberto Eco

Panerai * Rolex * Omega * Ball * AEgir * Mühle-Glashütte * Oris * Archimede * Seiko * Magrette * Padron

Of those choices I like the Ball the best and as you mention seems to be most versatile. Personal taste, but that Tudor is my least favorite of the lineup. If you were to reconsider the Black Bay or even the North Flag then i think i would lean Tudor. Either way congrats on the future choice.
    Roadwriter likes this.

I vote for the Ball, but I am biased because of the Cleveland connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Roadwriter likes this.

Wow, I really like the Ball Fireman Enterprise. The price is quite attractive as well. Now you have me considering this watch for myself; the micro gas tubes, 5,000Gs shock resistance, AR sapphire crystal and bonus NATO strap are a unique winning combination. I reckon the Ball suits all of your criteria, plus the Tudor Ranger is 41mm.
    Roadwriter likes this.

Sinn produce a really nice watch and the 104 would be my choice.
    Roadwriter likes this.

Banned

The Sinn followed by the Tudor
    Roadwriter and TJ Boogie like this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information