Help me choose a watch please

Thread: Help me choose a watch please

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    cm.

Help me choose a watch please

ok so I'm going to be buying myself a watch, I've done hours and hours of research and have narrowed it down to these:

From Raymond Weil:

From Oris:

From Longines:

Things I am considering:
    looks obviously and also "brand prestige". Also if you have any other suggestions I'd be happy to hear them, stick to this price range of course (preferably less, I still go to uni).

What do you guys think of RW Vs Oris Vs Longines?

Cheers
    Last edited by cm.; January 1st, 2011 at 07:48.

Re: Help me choose a watch please

Hmmm.

They all look exceptionally conventional to me - nothing very radical or original about the designs.

I guess you're buying it for the brand prestige then? In which case, get the most expensive one you can afford perhaps?

Have you looked at more interesting brands, like Breguet, Perrelet etc?

Hate to say it, but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing any of them. Welcome and happy new year!

Longines has more brand equity than any of them. I mean, Bogie used to wear one. Doesn't get much classier than that. But get a Hydroconquest or something. Why so set on some grandfathery two-tone? If you're in college, it's going to look really out of place on your wrist.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hate to say it, but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing any of them.
    Why do we get the impression, you actually really enjoyed saying that?! :D

CM - sorry it's true. You've got really bad taste. But all is not lost! You're here now. Things will only get better!

Now go for this:

It was my last watch before I went 'cheap' after finding that it kept breaking down. Hopefully it shouldn't do that to you though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Longines has more brand equity than any of them. I mean, Bogie used to wear one. Doesn't get much classier than that. But get a Hydroconquest or something. Why so set on some grandfathery two-tone? If you're in college, it's going to look really out of place on your wrist.
    Longines is definitely my choice. Not only is the face far more elegant than the others, but the name carries weight. I hope this doesn't offend you but are you a man or a woman? I think a two-tone bracelet looks fantastic on a girl's wrist but for a man's dress watch, leather is far more dashing.
    "...[A] watch isn’t about telling the time, it is about your relationship with time. A watch is about style, a story and the history of both your watch and your own life."
    -Askmen.com's The Watch Snob

Wow, you're liking the two toned look eh....

Have you considered some... Ahem... non-two toned watches? They have some appeal in the sense that they aren't terrible.
    Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

cm.

alright you've convinced me, I'll look at some "busier" watches but I'm still not a fan of leather. Both for durability and looks.

what about this?

Last edited by cm.; January 1st, 2011 at 08:31.

Getting warmer.... Now that you've kicked the two-toned things are looking better.

Not huge on gold myself, but it really beats two toned.

Can't go wrong with Longines.
    Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

Hmmm.

Are you trying to look like your grandfather?!

No offence...but all the watches you've highlighted have a very 'bling' look or taste about them.
    There are some modern Swiss (prestige) watches which carries it very well. Seems like you like the traditional classic round face and gold as the defining characteristics of your watch tastes.

Have a closer look at the ones you've chosen.

1. Do you want to have numerical markers or just bars to indicate what hour? You seem to have both choices as if they don't really matter.
    2. Do you want to have French pointed style minute and hour hands? Or the more modern blocky arms which are less elegant?
    3. Do you really want a date function? If so, do you mind that your last example, the date window eats away at the '6'? Do you mind if it is assymetrical like the above Raymond Weil example?
    4. Do you really need the extra 'minute' markers in between the larger 5 minute markers/numerals? These seem to busy up the dial and adds more complexity without character to the watches.
    5. What size of crown are you looking for? The proportions of your choices all seem to fit within standards (possibly 36-40mm) which is rather small by modern standards.
    6. Does it bother you that your last example has italicised numerals, yet block face non-italicised dates? It seems to try to look like a classic vintage watch but has really had very little thought put into its design.

Try and think about the overall character of the watch. What will you wear it for? What will you wear it with? Do you want it to convey a kind of rigid conservative middle-aged crisis kind of look? Or perhaps just to fit in with establishment expectations as a status symbol?

That's all for now - good luck!

Oris

Rolex 16600 SeaDweller, Rolex 16610 Submariner LV 'V', Rolex 16610 Submariner LV 'V', Rolex 16570 Explorer II, Rolex 116613LN Submariner, Rolex 16710 Pepsi, Rolex 16710 GMT Master, Panerai Luminor 25, Omega Speedmaster 3570.50, Oris TT1, Sector SGE 650, GW-9400J-3JF, GW-9400BJ-1JF, GW-9400J-1JF, GW-200MS, GX-56GB-1ER, GX-56-1BDR, GA-100, DW-5600MS, DW-6900MS X 2, G-6900-1DR, GR-7900KG, GW-7900B-1JF, GR-8900A, G-9200MS, G-9000MS, G-9000-1, G-9000-8 (StormTrooper), G-9010, Casio PHYS STR-800

Gone but not forgotten
    Casio DW-5000C, Casio DW-5400C, Casio AW-5001E, Casio DW-6100GJ-1, Casio DW-5900C-9, Casio DW-9100EJ-9T , Casio DW-8400-1(Mudman)

Flipped
    Rolex 116520 Daytona Cosmograph, Omega Seamaster Ti 2231.80.00

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information