help me decide what to keep...
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By r80rew

Thread: help me decide what to keep...

I would talk this over with my wife, but I am guessing you know where that will get me :)

I own these 4 watches which all have similarities.

I have been toying with the idea of this Steinhart (44mm on brown strap) for almost 2 years and I think I am ready to pull the trigger.

I can't keep them all...although I would love to. I don't think the PRS18Q is going anywhere as it is my do anything and everything with it watch. I just recently got the Kemmner and I am not thinking that is going anywhere as it is next to impossible to pick up and I love it (although is it too close to the Nav B Chrono II?). That leaves the PRS14 and the OVM. I am torn. The PRS14 is difficult to come by on the used market now, which makes me want to keep that one (although its size and shape are fairly close to the PRS18Q). The OVM has the very nice steel bracelet that goes so well with it yet still NATOs up rather well. It is however an easy piece to pick up on the used market.

For the last few months I have been wearing the Kemmner more than 50% of the time and I am struggling to get my other watches back into the rotation. BTW, it is built like a TANK. Just looking for some outside opinions... makes it easier than internalizing.

TIA.

Re: help me decide what to keep...

Interesting. I really liked the look of the old RN Subs and would have picked up the OVM (IMHO it has a fantastic look, in the colour of the markers, the shape of the bezel notches, bezel markers, hands, etc.) if I hadn't been concerned about the lug length and how it would work on my skinny wrist. I instead ended up picking up a Squale 20 Atmos Maxi to answer the call of the Sub (smaller case size and shorter lugs, still a great look, etc.). However, I also love the look of the vintage Seamaster 300, and so have been looking at the PRS-14, which does a pretty good job of paying homage to the old SMs.

Assuming that you keep the Kemmner:

I guess if you're looking for homages to classics, you keep the OVM and PRS-14 and sell the PRS-18 (which looks and wears very much like the 14 but more "tool").

If it's just between the OVM and the 14, choose the most comfortable model and sell the other. (Is there much of a comfort difference between them?)

They're both such great-looking watches, it's too bad you can't keep all four AND get the new Steinhart. Do you think you could go back to the Home Finance Committee and grovel?

The two Precista watches are too similar, you don't really need both, so pick which one you prefer and lose the other. The Chrono is doing something a little different to the others functionally so I'd say to keep that one also. Now pick which one you prefer from the remaining Precista and the Steinhart. Keep that winner to go along with your Chrono, and sell the other one.
    Last edited by ShaggyDog; February 4th, 2013 at 19:56.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Id keep the Steinhart & the Kemmner if it was my choice to make.
    marchone likes this.
    Current Watch Collection:-
    Citizen Aqualand AY5000-05, Orient Mako - Black, Casio F-108WH - Royal Blue

Han - "Keep your distance Chewie, but don't make it look like you're keeping your distance"
    Chewie - "Rwohhrr?"
    Han - "I don't know, just fly casual"

Banned

Scratch the first Precista. Forget the Steinhart chrono. Keep the Kemmner chrono. That leaves the Precista SM300 homage (hard to replace) and the Steinhart 5517 homage (still available).

BTW, it is possible the two Precista were also made by Roland Kemmner depending on when they were made at Fricker for Precista.

Being a hopeless WIS, I wonder why you can't keep them all. (after all there are only 4?) Each of them is nice in its own right; different function, color, etc. When you look at the details they are similar but different. That's the essence of collecting.
    The Steinhart Chrono is nice too; I don't collect Chrono's because I don't really use the functions and therefore don't want to have to maintain them; which is far more complicated than basic pieces with a few complications.
    Hope you enjoy them all!

Quote Originally Posted by 440saw View Post
    Being a hopeless WIS, I wonder why you can't keep them all. (after all there are only 4?) Each of them is nice in its own right; different function, color, etc. When you look at the details they are similar but different. That's the essence of collecting.
    The Steinhart Chrono is nice too; I don't collect Chrono's because I don't really use the functions and therefore don't want to have to maintain them; which is far more complicated than basic pieces with a few complications.
    Hope you enjoy them all!
    Agree, they are all really nice pieces.

The top Precista.

Thread Information