WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Help me find an automatic watch for about $1000

8K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  bluloo 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking to buy an automatic watch with a simple face but I don't know what to buy. Before I was keen on buying the Seiko SARB021 as it ticks all the boxes except the size. So here I am, throwing the question out at you. What are my choices and here are my requirements.

1. Must be an automatic
2. Case should be between 40-44mm
3. No chronographs. I only need the time and date.
4. Bracelet (I don't think leather suits me)
5. Black dial, silver hands & brushed metal.

So help me out guys. What do you guys suggest? and my budget is around $1000.

Just to give you an idea what I had in mind.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

See less See more
Reactions: CitizenM
#4 ·
Completely agree with CitizenM and on the Citizen Signature Auto. Here's a pic of mine, I got the white dialed one just a few weeks ago. Actually bought it after a post by the very same CitizenM!

Beautiful watch, best watch I own under $1000, easily, fit, finish, just superb. Got mine from forum sponsor AZ Finetime, I'm fortunate that I can physically drive there. I think they have a banner ad on here. Ask for Joe.

Good luck. I'd also consider a Tissot Visodate, and maybe a Hamilton Jazzmaster.

Dan

Here's a pic of the movement, a real stunner.

#11 ·
#12 ·
I have this one on the way and it should be here after the weekend. HAMILTON AMERICAN CLASSICS JAZZMASTER VIEWMATIC MENS WATCH H32715131 I was wanting a black face, dress watch larger than 40mm on a bracelet. The other one I considered was the Prometheus Signatura. I already have the silver face Tissot Visodate with and it's very nice but I wanted something a touch bigger and the Hamilton won out. I can't wait until next week!

#15 ·
Hi guys, thanks for all the replies. The citizen signature looks great but the hands sort of a give it a sporty finish, so is the sinn. I have to rule out hamilton jazzmaster as I've already a jazzmaster chrono.

Opt - I don't know much about EPOS watches. Could you tell me a few model numbers that i can look at.

DragonDan - I just love the looks of that prometheus. But I am after something with a black dial and silver hands. By the way what's the model number of the above?

#16 ·
For close to $1000 Oris does a nice job with black dials. Here's the 40mm Artelier Date:

Stock Photo:

I sold the one on the right:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

The 42mm Artix is nice...

...but the 42mm LE Oscar Peterson is even better though even with a discount it's going to be over $1500...and it doesn't come on a bracelet. I'm just posting it because I think it's one of the better looking watches of its kind anywhere at any price. It's another one of those watches that I'd own if it was 4mm smaller:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

They've got a few others including a small seconds and some very subdued chronographs.

Reactions: CitizenM
#25 ·
For close to $1000 Oris does a nice job with black dials. Here's the 40mm Artelier Date:

Stock Photo:

View attachment 809321

I sold the one on the right:

View attachment 809322

The 42mm Artix is nice...

View attachment 809323

...but the 42mm LE Oscar Peterson is even better though even with a discount it's going to be over $1500...and it doesn't come on a bracelet. I'm just posting it because I think it's one of the better looking watches of its kind anywhere at any price. It's another one of those watches that I'd own if it was 4mm smaller:

View attachment 809327

They've got a few others including a small seconds and some very subdued chronographs.
Mate that 40mm artilier looks beautiful. Do you know the model number for this watch? I am not sure whether I like the bracelet, but we can do something about it can't we?

#20 ·
#22 ·
#27 ·
Sorry for the late reply, but the ref # is 01 733 7591 4054-07 8 21 73. If you don't like the bracelet you could save yourself a few hundred dollars and get it on a strap. You could then take your savings and look for something that you like better. Most people usually praise Oris bracelets though; I just thought this watch looked better on an alligator strap. Artelier Dates turns up on sales forums from time to time - usually for hundreds less than what they now go for even on the gray market. I use Watchrecon.com to keep an eye on things.

#28 ·
Tissot Visodate, if you can find one on a bracelet. Otherwise get an aftermarket one and away you go.

Other option, maybe a used Tag Heuer Carrera (non chrono) will be in the ball park or just above ($1300 if your lucky). Check out model: WV211B.BA0787

#30 ·
One more vote for Sinn556I. I have it and is one of the best watches I have. Do a research on this forum and you will find a lot of experts agree. Not just this forum but any Watch expert would love Sinn watches.

#32 ·
You guys are spoiling me for choises now :) Keep 'em coming.

I really do like the prometheus and the tag. The Tag is off my budget (it's around 1700 on the bay). I cannot find the price for prometheus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.