Help me find my first automatic
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help me find my first automatic

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Help me find my first automatic

Hi guys

I have spent a long time searching for a new watch, and I have found out that it has to be an automatic watch. I have never owned an automatic watch before and do not have a lot of knowledge on the different movements, but I am beginning to understand some of the basics.

I really like the design of this TAG Heuer Carrera although it is not within my budget of ≤ $1200. This Tissot visodate is also really nice and is also shows you the design i am looking for. The only problem I can see with the visodate is that the accuracy seems to be around ± 15 sec/day which I think is rather high. I would really appreciate if you guys could suggest some other watches similar to these watches but with a better/more accurate movement.

Re: Help me find my first automatic

For your budget:

You want to shoot for an ETA or Sellita that is quoted as being regulated by the watch maker, or pick up a Miyota 9015 in a package that is top notch.

You need to learn about the grades of ETA and Sellita movements to know what you're really doing.

I'm sure many will come along with a lot of opinions that will help.

Personally, I would focus on the overall package as vendors rarely put crappy movements in solid packages. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Disclosure:
    1. My posts are not shilling other people's stuff.
    2. I own everything that I post and paid for it with my own money.
    3. My opinions are not influenced by any form of compensation.

But how do I know that the movement will be alright? Most of the sites I can find does not write much about the movement. Often it just says "automatic" or "based on ETA 2824-2"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by rhizogenes View Post
    Hi guys

I have spent a long time searching for a new watch, and I have found out that it has to be an automatic watch
    and do not have a lot of knowledge on the different movements
    You're looking for a mechanical hopefully ?..... which are subdivided into automatic winding and hand winding models.

If of course you already realise there are two sorts and have chosen automatic winding, then ignore that last statement

Hi guys

I have spent a long time searching for a new watch, and I have found out that it has to be an automatic watch. I have never owned an automatic watch before and do not have a lot of knowledge on the different movements, but I am beginning to understand some of the basics.

I really like the design of this TAG Heuer Carrera although it is not within my budget of ≤ $1200. This Tissot visodate is also really nice and is also shows you the design i am looking for. The only problem I can see with the visodate is that the accuracy seems to be around ± 15 sec/day which I think is rather high.
    No, for a mechanical that's pretty average. Which is why most people wear quartz. You can either search for a COSC watch or maybe buy a cheap Seiko with a 7s26 movement and have it regulated by a watchmaker - they notoriously often come out in COSC limits of around 6 seconds a day.

Basically, google "cheapast COSC watch" and look at threads like:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/lea...hes-72784.html

ETA makes most of the Swiss automatic movements, the most common being the 2824 and its variants. The 2824 is a great movement: reliable, accurate, easy to get repair parts for, and serviceable by nearly all decent watchmakers. You can find that movement in watches ranging from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand, but the movement is not exactly the same. They come in elabore, top, and chronometer variants (I think I'm forgetting one more), in increasing order of quality. The basic design is the same in all of them, but there are minor changes that make the chronometer movement significantly better than the basic ones. Any certified chronometer is required to keep time within +6/-4 seconds a day.

The ETA 2892 is considered a little step above the 2824, and on par with Rolex's in-house movement. Actually, the 2824 is about just as good as the 2892, but the 2892 is not sold in the lowest grade that the 2824 is. Also, the 2892 gets more respect for being a thinner movement, and has a more robust mounting for the balance wheel that should minimize the effects of end shake.
    Last edited by Tsujigiri; October 19th, 2013 at 23:43. Reason: Wrote 2428 instead of 2824
    watchma likes this.

But how do I know that the movement will be alright? Most of the sites I can find does not write much about the movement. Often it just says "automatic" or "based on ETA 2824-2"
    Then don't buy from sites don't provide the information you need. Simply buy from someone who quotes accuracy figures.

Quote Originally Posted by watchma View Post
    You're looking for a mechanical hopefully ?..... which are subdivided into automatic winding and hand winding models.

If of course you already realise there are two sorts and have chosen automatic winding, then ignore that last statement
    Yes I realize that

Quote Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post
    The 2428 is a great movement: reliable, accurate, easy to get repair parts for, and serviceable by nearly all decent watchmakers. You can find that movement in watches ranging from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand, but the movement is not exactly the same.
    That is what is making it hard. I can see that the TAG Heuer i referred to has a ETA 2824-2 which I would presume would be of nice quality as the watch is around $2500. The Tissot visodate is a 2836-2 which is just the 2824-2 with a date and day, but I see that this watch is not that accurate. How do I find me a watch with my criteria?

Inactive

Yes I realize that

Dammit , It's just hate it when handwinders get forsaken for auto's - lol

+1 for looking for a 2892 based watch , it's a lovely movement

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information