Help me find a watch for around $10,000 ..
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help me find a watch for around $10,000 ..

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Help me find a watch for around $10,000 ..

Hi all,

Whilst my requirements might not be specific, I'm looking for ideas for my next watch.
    Although my current collection is somewhat modest (well.. I've three watches, really, which is a shy number compared to the signatures to some users here!), I'll be expanding over the next month or so.
    I have a $10,000 limit (in Australia), and whilst I was certain of what I wanted the last time I bought one (12 months ago, got an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean), this time I'm not so sure, as my budget is almost double what it was.
    I've considered the idea of getting two $5000 watches, but essentially some of the more expensive pieces are a bit hard to say no to.
    I'm particularly keen on the IWC portuguese range: something that has a classic look.
    I've considered the option of a Rolex Submariner, but it looks a bit over the top in terms of bulk. My Planet Ocean (45.5mm) is already big and heavy.
    Obviously breitling will be out of the question, too.

Any other ideas of what might be out there for this price range?

Thanks.

Re: Help me find a watch for around $10,000 ..

How about a dog instead of a watch? Maybe a German Shepherd. Just a thought. If this is a serious request, then I would start brainstorming and researching styles on your own instead of allowing others to sway your opinion. Something that is this large of a purchase should be something that you want, not something that we want. Best thing to do is to go to a fine jeweler and try on a few of their watches. Good luck ;).
    dbakiva likes this.

Thanks.
    It is a genuine request. Not so much asking people to choose for me, but to get ideas of what's out there.
    I feel bad about going to watch stores, look around, and walk out if I don't like anything.
    In any case, whilst when I bought my Omega they had it in stock as it's a fairly popular model, there are a lot more watches out there than a jeweler would carry.
    Which is why I'm asking for suggestions of what to look for/look out for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by allitnils View Post
    Thanks.
    It is a genuine request. Not so much asking people to choose for me, but to get ideas of what's out there.
    I feel bad about going to watch stores, look around, and walk out if I don't like anything.
    In any case, whilst when I bought my Omega they had it in stock as it's a fairly popular model, there are a lot more watches out there than a jeweler would carry.
    Which is why I'm asking for suggestions of what to look for/look out for.
    Well, I suppose it's a mindset and it comes with job experience. If you have ever been a salesman or worked in retail, you don't typically feel as bad. For me, I felt bad looking around and trying things on when I knew I COULDN'T buy something. But now that I know that I could if I wanted to, I don't feel bad about it, and I actually feel insulted if they don't ask me if I want to try it on or at least ask if I need assistance with anything. Just try thinking about it this way. You aren't leading anybody on if you are being genuine about wanting to make a purchase. You are just trying to see what products they can offer you. Trust me, they want to be able to impress you with something they have. They make commission buddy ;). They aren't insulted at all. They just want a chance at making a sale. If they don't make a sale, well, you will probably be the 564th person who walked out with nothing that day :P. I doubt they will remember you, or care if they don't make a sale :P.

I would find somewhere around me that has a high end mall or something like that, that has multiple AD's, and do some comparison shopping, with that chunk of change.

Be it as it may, any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Shepperdw View Post
    How about a dog instead of a watch? Maybe a German Shepherd. Just a thought. If this is a serious request, then I would start brainstorming and researching styles on your own instead of allowing others to sway your opinion. Something that is this large of a purchase should be something that you want, not something that we want. Best thing to do is to go to a fine jeweler and try on a few of their watches. Good luck ;).
    I understand a dog costs about $10 - 12,000 over its life-span; a cat, somewhat less at $8,000 or so. And my advice to you regarding a watch is similar in one respect: get something you love. Other than the unavoidable realities of an upper budget limit, I think looking for a watch at a particular price point is going about it backwards. Should you reject that Portuguese you really love at $7K, or that nifty diver at 5K because the transaction will give you too much change back?

Find what you love that's in range and if there's change back from your ten thousand dollar bill, start a fund for your next love. We can't know what will make your heart stir. This should be your job and your joy. Buy quality, and buy what you love. Good luck.
    Last edited by dbakiva; February 7th, 2012 at 05:20.

Personally I think IWC Portuguese is very nicely finished but a little plain. You can spend 2-3k and get a really nice looking watch that is similar in looks to the IWC. For around 3K I'd look at MeisterSinger. For a 10k budget I'd look at Glashutte Original PanoMactic Lunar XL, Chopard 1937, Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece or the more adventurous Chopard Tech Twist (above budget) and Linde Werdelin SpidoLite II
    Last edited by sea0bass; February 7th, 2012 at 05:41.

I am a big Montblanc (MB) fan. At $10000 Aus you are well in range of some of fantastic MB offerings that compete, in my opinion, with watches above their price range. Here is the latest forum discussion on MBs: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/mont...ts-640270.html

I am going to recommend two MBs. First, the Nicolas Rieussec. An very unique piece, in-house MB R200 movement, 43mm, vertical clutch, column wheel, comparitively rare. Look for the 106487 and 106488, white and black guilloche respectively. They just announced (Jan 2012) a new version of the R200...the MB R210 dubbed the Nicolas Rieussec Hometime. A little more expensive and likely not in your stores until much later this year. I prefer the simplicity of the MB R200 watches.

The other rec is the Timewalker Twinfly Flyback. A sporty column wheel, vertical clutch chrono using the in-house LL100 movement. It is a new watch as of 2011. There is a PVD covered limited edition, of which there were 300 made. There is a high polished SS version that is a little dressier. There is also the newly announced (Jan 2012) Grey Tech which you won't find until much later this year either.

There will be many of the standard recommendations, so I figured I'd get the unconventional recommendations out of the way. Good Luck!

Nicolas Rieussec MB R200

Montblanc Timewalker Twinfly Flyback:

Good Luck!
    Chronopolis and napel like this.

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

If you're looking for something classic, and with your budget, I'd definitely look at Jaeger LeCoultre. The Master Dualtime is a great watch

(image from prestigetime.com)

If you want to get a heirloom quality dress watch (not a dressy watch, but a proper dress watch), the Master Ultra Thin Moon is hard to beat

(image from prestigetime.com again)

Last, but not least, you might be interested in a true gentleman's watch, the Grande Reverso Ultra Thin.

(image from prestigetime.com)

For offerings from another highly respected watch maker, Glashutte Original has some awesome watches in your price range:

The amazing PanoMaticLunar and PanoReserve

(images from you-know-where)

Congratulationss on having a wonderful dilemma. Take your time and look at lots of watches, try on as many as possible, and learn about watches and about yourself.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information