Help Me Identify My "New" Watch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stuffler,mike

Thread: Help Me Identify My "New" Watch

Help Me Identify My "New" Watch

Hey Everyone,

I am new to the forum; I signed up in hopes that the horological geniuses here would be able to help me identify my latest purchase. I recently picked up this Wakmann Triple Date, but have not been able to find much information on the exact model or year of manufactur. I have attached several pictures to aide in my quest for help. From what I have been able to uncover thus far (and please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken), Wakmann was an American watch manufacturer owned by the Breitling company after WWII. This was done to avoid high import tariffs on Swiss watches after the war. From my understanding, Breitling would ship them over in parts and have them assembled in the US under the Wakmann name. Also from what I was able to find, this watch appears to contain the Venus 203 movement, but I am by no means an expert so this is one of the main reasons I am seeking help. I have also noted the WOG stamp on the movement which indicates it does in fact originate from the Breitling company. If anyone has any knowledge on the movement, please share as this is what interests me most! Also, the movement and inside of the case back is stamped Britix Watch Co. Swiss. Try as I have, I haven't really been able to find much information on the Britix Watch Co. Does anyone know any history on the company? Overall the watch is in great shape and keeps time well. The diameter is just over 30mm and the lugs are 15mm which makes me believe the watch dates from late 40s or early 50s. Again any information at all would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Attachment 1015342Attachment 1015343Attachment 1015344Attachment 1015345Attachment 1015346
    Last edited by ethan.smith1; March 20th, 2013 at 06:06.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Help Me Identify My "New" Watch

According to the book "Breitling: History of a Great Brand of Watches", Wakmann was the US distributor of Breitling watches from the 1940s to the 1970s. Some watches were co-signed Breitling/Wakmann as well as just Wakmann but made by Breitling.

The "Wakmann Watch Co." was established in New York. WAKMANN was the importer of different high quality brands for the north-american market, not only Breitling though. However, the most famous brand was Breitling. Some of them even got a double-signature and were sold as "BREITLING WAKMANN". Parallel to the sales-business, WAKMANN started to produce his own watches after World War II.

All the watches were taken from sellers in europe and most of them from Switzerland. This time, WAKMANN already the watches of Wakmann have been with a maximum of style, quality and technicaly know-how. Specially the technical part was one of the most controlled and checked parts and highest quality was allways one of the main features. This explains, why WAKMANN watches have always been one of the favorite brands for collectors watchlovers. First of all the different Valjoux chrono-movements with ratched, like the caliber 72, 88, 730 and the very rare and seldom Valjoux 92.

Because of the really outstanding quality and the conclusive precision of the watches, WAKMANN was able to establish itself as official producer and supplier to the military. Next to wristwatches, WAKMANN was also supplying onboard-watches for the military forces.

Re Britix this thread might be of interest to you: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/bri...lp-415221.html
    Kittysafe likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Mike,

Thank you for the wonderful information! Any idea as to whether or not my assessment on the age or the movement is correct?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The fact that it doesn't have shock protection and is a 17 jewel movement indicates to me that it's late 1940s. Britix was registered as a brand in 1928 in La Chaux-de-Fonds and later by Jaquet & Girard in Bienne in 1948.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Late 40s, early 50s is a good guess.

Here's a link to a 1959 catalgue, you might be interested in: http://www.timekeeper.de/uploads/med...og_1959_01.pdf
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thread Information