Help me like NATO’s
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Help me like NATO’s

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Help me like NATO’s

I’ve been real into milsubs lately. Wearing a Steiny OVM a lot. And I want to put it on a NATO cause it’s all authentic and everything. And they always look so rad in photos, and it gives you a way to switch up the vibe of your watch quite easily. But I just don’t like em on my wrist. I thought the extra length folded back around would bother me, but that’s not it at all. The nylons just so thin that the strap doesn’t have any depth at all, which makes the watch look strange on my wrist to me. And you have to wear them tight, so there’s really no play at all. Maybe I’m just too used to a metal bracelet.

Anyway, I want to like em, but I just don’t seem to. The only NATO strap I’ve tried is a pretty cheap one. Is there a consensus best manufacturer? Maybe leather? Are two-piece NATO’s just kinda lame?

Re: Help me like NATO’s

NATOs can be thicker but I think this is more physiological effect - you will get used to their thickness. I don't wear mine tight and see no reason why you "have to" do so. I say give them a try, buy a better/another strap and try it for a while.
    There is a time for everything...
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away

Banned

Try Haveston.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Maybe they're not for you. I find them ultra comfortable, because they're thin and light, and nothing under the wrist when like sitting at a desk. I find I have to wear my metal bracelets tighter than my NATOs.

I do think sometimes when a watch head is too heavy, NATOs can make it feel a bit top heavy and slide around a little.

Maybe can do like just a canvas strap and get a similar look, but with a thicker strap, if you just aren't used to how thick a NATO is.

I'm a long time bracelet wearer and just recently picked up a few NATOs. It's an adjustment. The air beneath the lugs and my wrist looks strange, but I think it will be more comfortable when it is really hot.

Crown & Buckle make a premium NATO they claim they designed to rival OEM NATO offerings. The description says it feels more like a seat belt. I've only tried there $15 straps which I guess have a more course texture in comparison.

Be aware that a thicker NATO may be difficult to thread between the spring bar and case depending on lug length.

Quote Originally Posted by danimaru View Post
    I’ve been real into milsubs lately. Wearing a Steiny OVM a lot. And I want to put it on a NATO cause it’s all authentic and everything. And they always look so rad in photos, and it gives you a way to switch up the vibe of your watch quite easily. But I just don’t like em on my wrist. I thought the extra length folded back around would bother me, but that’s not it at all. The nylons just so thin that the strap doesn’t have any depth at all, which makes the watch look strange on my wrist to me. And you have to wear them tight, so there’s really no play at all. Maybe I’m just too used to a metal bracelet.

Anyway, I want to like em, but I just don’t seem to. The only NATO strap I’ve tried is a pretty cheap one. Is there a consensus best manufacturer? Maybe leather? Are two-piece NATO’s just kinda lame?
    I hear ya, And I agree. The real clincher tho is a one piece nato thru both spring bars is very safe and will save a watch if a springbar fails. This has happened during strenuous activity and sports around water like fishing, sailing, kayaking, swimming, etc.

Lost a treasured Seiko while windsurfing long ago. Still regret wearing it. A one piece nato might have saved it.

Zulu, man. No extra nonsense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by osamu View Post
    I do think sometimes when a watch head is too heavy, NATOs can make it feel a bit top heavy and slide around a little.
    I think maybe this is it exactly. I felt like I had to wear it tight to keep the watch from sliding around on the strap.

Are “seat belt” straps any thicker? I’m assuming that means they use nylon similar to a seat belt which is certainly thicker and heavier than the flimsy cheap strap I’ve tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggo View Post
    Zulu, man. No extra nonsense.
    You may just be right. I didn’t realize zulus didn’t have that extra flap on the bottom. That is attractively simplistic. I def have to give one of those a try too.

I think you just need to pick the right colors of NATOs and put them on the right watch.
    Certain Youtuber's NATO choices tend to be very questionable---personally I would never get those super bright, eye cancer colors. They simply look cheap af.
    I also wouldn't put a NATO on any dress watch---the utilitarian nature of it doesn't really blend with the more formal aesthetics very well.
    With that said, I see ppl put all kinds of not so pretty color of NATOs on all kinds of dress watches---including Lange...What can I say? Just kill me now...
    Anyway, I think NATOs generally work very well with watches that have a lot of brushed or matte finish. A matte or flat colored dial also makes a good match.
    Get some high quality NATOs in reasonable colors and pair them with the right watch---they can def look very appealing.
    wickets likes this.
    Blancpain-Glashütte Original-Breguet-Nomos-Omega-IWC-Parmigiani-Rolex-Girard Perregaux-Jaeger LeCoultre

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information