Help me make a list of watches I want for graduation (unusual, modern style)

Thread: Help me make a list of watches I want for graduation (unusual, modern style)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Help me make a list of watches I want for graduation (unusual, modern style)

I have no idea what I might get and what the family might spend. My grandparents could afford some very nice watches (the rest of the family probably not as much). Some people get cars for graduation. Like I said I have no idea what to expect and I won't be disappointed if they give me a "congratulations" card with $10 in it (well maybe a little ) but I am going to bring the subject up with my mom (she knows I like watches) and just put together some links of watches I would like with a range in price. I like unusual modern watches, so if you don't, you probably won't be of help to me. Here is what I have in mind, from low to high price:

Alpina Avalanche Extreme Regulator. - basic, cool looking and fun.

Azimuth retrograde - cool complication:

Perrelet Turbine - little less basic, still fun and different, still very modern (for those that don't know, the turbine on the face spins like a rotor for no good reason except it looks cool)

Gerald Genta Retrograde Sport - A little more pricey, but can be found much cheaper then list on ebay and other grey markets (which I am fine with). Nice complications which I am all about.

Pierre Kunz Insanity - again more expensive then the gerald genta. And again featuring a complication for no good reason except it is completely awesome.

Any suggestions? Certainly don't need any more ideas from the higher end, I really doubt they would go for the Pierre Kunz but they migh (as much as that would kick ass). I don't graduate until May, but I am already thinking about what watch I would want
    Last edited by jaross; December 6th, 2010 at 02:08.

Re: Help me make a list of watches I want for graduation (unusual, modern style)

Wow I have been looking at watches for over a year and have never seen anything like that Pierre Kunz and although it is not to my taste I must say it is very creative - I had to youtube a video of it to figure out how it tells time.

I'm also graduating in May but our tastes in watches differ greatly so I don't think I can be of much help to you. The only watch that I can think of is the UN Freak, but that is pretty high end unfortunately.

Re: Help me make a list of watches I want for graduation (unusual, modern style)

If I can offer a suggestion to consider.....you are looking for a "milestone" gift, from some people who aren't going to be around forever. Do yourself a favor and look at some more classic designs....Omega, Rolex, Tag, Fortis, etc. Something that 20 years from now will be just as cool, to remember this milestone, and more importantly to remember the loved ones who probably won't be around anymore. Believe me, the off the wall designs that are cool now, won't be, and rather than wearing a priceless personal memento, you will be looking at it thinking "WTF was I thinking", if you even have it anymore.

Just something to consider.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

thats a good thought. that certainly would be what I would be looking for- something to remember loved ones and whatnot. Not that I have anything against them the more typical styles, but I could honestly never see myself wearing something too standard looking. Rolex, Breitling, and Omega just arent my style. Maybe AP ROO, JLC or patek philippe nautilus but those are probably way out of my price range. Also like Breguet but thats only for their higher end complications, and again, way out of the price range.

humm...maybe a Montblanc Timewalker, maybe. Maybe a Tag Monaco.

I might not go as far as the YELLOW version of the Geralg Genta I posted, but I have always had a unique style and I don't see that changing. Also, for the price point of a high end watch, I am looking for a unique movement. Im glad you mentioned it though, I will consider that a little more.
    Last edited by jaross; December 6th, 2010 at 03:04.

As someone who will be graduating soon, I think a speed master pro would be the perfect graduation watch. A classic!
    Buran Siberia (x2 black and white), Aviator Chrono II (poljot31681), Ferrari Jumbo Pit Crew,Alpha Jump Hour, MZI Skeleton, MKII Stingray,Elgin 18s,Agat stopwatch, Sturmanskie Sputnik,Raketa Pilot, Poljot Traveller,Tscheljabinsk military clock, Kirovskie Crab, Vostok Amphibia (tank dial), 3133 Strela replica, Alpha Jumphour Tank,Denissov Barracuda 31681,Laco B-Uhr type B, Stowa Antea KS

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cavallino33

I agree with apdb90 . Go with something classic, you'll never regret that decision!
    Also random question but are there threads for audemars piguet, Cartier, Chanel? I'm new and not finding too many threads to delve into yet =(

Hmmmm, some interesting stuff there. I kinda like the Perralet.

Just thinking that the Regulator syle of watch is not very "modern" but hey, whats in a name.

Where are you graduating from?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by jaross View Post
    something to remember loved ones and whatnot.
    Now don't go getting all mushy on us.

I agree with apd90. A "milestone" gift, especially a watch, should be something classic, classy and timeless. Something to wear with a suit to job interviews, a wedding and such. Save the wacky ones for rewards to yourself. A nice dress watch is always appropriate.
    Praise without end for the go ahead zeal
    Of whoever it was invented the wheel;
    But never a word for the poor soul's sake
    That thought ahead, and invented the brake

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    Hmmmm, some interesting stuff there. I kinda like the Perralet.

Just thinking that the Regulator syle of watch is not very "modern" but hey, whats in a name.

Where are you graduating from?
    true, but you cant say that the Alpine Extreme is not a modern looking example, with the design, if not the internals

Fort Lewis College in Colorado. I plan on going on and getting a MA in planning (I think anyway), after a year off.
    Last edited by jaross; December 6th, 2010 at 05:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzimisces View Post
    Now don't go getting all mushy on us.

I agree with apd90. A "milestone" gift, especially a watch, should be something classic, classy and timeless. Something to wear with a suit to job interviews, a wedding and such. Save the wacky ones for rewards to yourself. A nice dress watch is always appropriate.
    Judging by that I would probably choose Montclanc Timewalker.

But...I think my style differs from the norm greatly...you don't think this is at least somewhat dressy?:
    Last edited by jaross; December 6th, 2010 at 05:47.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information