Help me out here with a silly question... what does 'bump' mean in the sales forum?

Thread: Help me out here with a silly question... what does 'bump' mean in the sales forum?

Help me out here with a silly question... what does 'bump' mean in the sales forum?

Thank you for the replies.

Re: Help me out here with a silly question... what does 'bump' mean in the sales forum?

Since the threads are sorted by the time of the last post, most recent at the top, often the OP (original poster) will make a post on that thread to push it back to the top of the order.
    Steve

stuffler,mike

Re: Help me out here with a silly question... what does 'bump' mean in the sales forum?

Bump = Bring up my post

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

I thought it came from Star Trek...Kirk to transporter room...
    "Bump me up Scottie!"
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

so all I type in a reply to my own post would be bump, and VOILA... it will be reposted?

Hey Supawabb, hope this isn't too wordy an explanation:

When you go to a forum (like this one, the Public Forum on WUS) you will see the different threads (like this one you started) listed chronologically from newest to oldest by time and date of the various threads most recent responses. So, if there has been no activity on your thread for several days it will have dropped down in the list of threads and eventually off the 1st page of the forum to the 2nd, 3rd and so on. In order to move your thread back to the top of the heap where it will be readily seen you just open your thread and reply to yourself with the word "bump" (any word would work it's just that everyone knows what "bump" means i.e. you want to rekindle interest in your thread.) The forum "sees" that your thread has had the newest response and "bumps" it back up to the top of the list of threads.

I don't know the accepted etiquette for bumping but I would only do it for important posts. You see it used most often on sales forums when someone wants to get their watch FS back on top of page one.
    Last edited by Guido Muldoon; December 9th, 2007 at 23:16.
    Current favorites:
    Squale Y1545 20 ATMOS Militaire (Original) Ser. No. 0001; Sturmanskie Open Space 24Hr Ser. No. 199/250; Glycine Airman 17; Seiko Prospex PADI SRPA21;
    AirNautic Early Bird 24hr #20; Bathys Black Aquaculture; Citizen Eco-Zilla SS; Corvus Bradley #44; Hamilton Field Mechanical 44mm;
    Luminox 8202; OCEAN7 LM-1LE 41/150; LM-3V2B #26; LM-7 #7; Seiko SKX007K2; Squale 50 ATMOS; + about 25 more
    Incoming: NADA

I've been trying for some time to develop a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.- Garry Trudeau
    Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts. - Lt. "Mac" McReynolds

Banned

BUMP .

stuffler,mike

All said and explained and in order to provide more "bump" posts: thread closed.

Thread Information