Help me to pick my first pricey watch
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Help me to pick my first pricey watch

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hi everyone! I am trying to decide which watch should be my first "pricey" watch that I am going to buy. I have been through many difficulties in the last couple of years and now I am back on track, got fine job, etc. I have always been interested in watches but lately even more. I had couple of watches in mind such as:

Omega Speedmaster Professional a.k.a Moonwatch,
    Omega Seamaster 300,
    Rolex Submariner(no date).

The "only" thing that I don't like about Rolex Sub is it's price(double as much as other ones). Feel free to provide any other suggestions!

Re: Help me to pick my first pricey watch

Those are all three good choices. I'd say buy used from a reputable seller, that way you don't take as much of a beating if you have to sell it. As far as recommends, a mint used Tudor Black Bay or any version of the Coaxial Omegas. The good old Speedy Pro is always a good choice, too.

The Speedy Pro is a great watch if you want a chronograph.

If you want something more diver orientated then both the Omega and Rolex are great watches.

You will always pay more for a Rolex than an Omega, but if you are looking to resell at a later time you will find it easier to move and they depreciate less than the Omegas.

Depending on if you want chrono or not I would say stick with either the Speedy Pro or Sub. If you feel comfortable doing so buy used, so you dont take the initial financial hit, particularly with the Speedy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I always choose sub as a great everyday option. Yea it costs more. But its worth every penny.
    denmanproject likes this.

As noted, you can save a bunch of money by buying used. There are a lot of minty used Speedmasters and Submariners out there. If you like the sub look, you could also look at a Tudor Black Bay, which is a perennial favorite around here. (Tudor is owned by Rolex, and the BB has a fair bit of submariner DNA in it.)

But, of the ones you mention, I'd personally go with the sub. It'll last forever, it'll always be in style, and it comes with an industry leading five-year warranty.
    Mark in Oz likes this.

I've had a Speedy pro since the beginning of the year and I'm still obsessed with it. However, the Sub no-date or a Tudor Snowflake will find themselves in my collection next year. I personally don't think you can get a better 2 hit combo than a Speedy Pro and a Sub.... both absolutely iconic in terms of design and real world use and can be dressed up or down making them very versatile.

As suggested, I would go used and recently serviced. I like a deal and don't care if someone has worn it before me. In fact I find it much less stressful when there's already a few signs of wear. The downside is (particularly with Subs) that you really have to do your homework before buying. Buy the seller, not just the watch. Kringkily is a very well known Speedy seller here, so it's worth contacting him if you want to go down that route.

Ard

The Omega Aqua Terra series offer some great watches that are a bit more soft spoken than your listed choices. Then there's the Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 5, another clean nondescript timepiece that is rather quiet on the wrist until noticed. I have an AT but am still wanting the Carrera. If you're into the style watches you listed then my suggestions may not appeal but since you have a computer give them a look.

Ard
    CSB123 and Robbyb03 like this.

Have you seen or tried them all on in person? I've found personally that drastically changes perspective on them and will probably clear up a couple of yours preferences.. I tend to sometimes find I actually like things I didn't think I would or vice versa. But my personal opinion in viewing all those is the planet ocean 8500 ceramic bezel. Lot of watch for the money!

Rolex Sub is always a good choice, but maybe consider trying on the Tudor range. Your getting a very good quality watch produced by the same company as Rolex but with a much healthier price tag.

Sure the Rolex beats Tudor in terms of quality and movement, but not enough to justify the price difference. Tudors are pretty faultless.

I would also suggest a dive watch, but thats cause I love dive watches.
    MLJinAK likes this.

I'd say the sub especially with no date, great classic watch you can wear everyday. If I were buying my first pricey watch would want it to be one I would wear everyday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information