Help me pick my new watch
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Help me pick my new watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help me pick my new watch

Hello all,

I have three watches on the brain right now and I could use some help deciding which to purchase next. The three watches are:

1.Omega Speedmaster Moon watch
    2.Fortis Classic Cosmonauts Ceramic PM
    2.Fortis Flieger Professional Chonograph

So obviously I am looking for a chronograph to add to my collection, but I'm torn. I was pretty set on the Cosmonauts, but my current collection consists of almost all dive watches so I'm afraid that there isn't much that will distinguish this watch stylistically from my other watches. I know it is not a dive watch but with the ceramic bezel and screw down pushers it does have a similar presence to a dive watch. My other reservation is that I most definitely want to own a Speedmaster someday in the near future, but it is currently out of my budget. I'm afraid that the cosmonaut will just be a place holder for what may unfairly be considered the ultimate space watch.

And finally there is the Flieger. I keep flipping back and forth between pictures of this and the cosmonauts. They are both flight watches, but very different. I really appreciate the simple layout and military design of the Flieger. I know it will look great on a nato, which is one of my favorite straps. It has a significantly lower price than the cosmonauts without sacrificing anything in my mind. However, I'm a sucker for ceramic bezels, and space.

Give me your opinions or additional watch suggestions. I'm giving myself the weekend to decide.

Re: Help me pick my new watch

I understand (to a certain extent) buying a placeholder watch if the placeholder is 10-20% of the watch you really want, even if I think it's a bad idea. I looked up the Fortis Cosmonauts and the price looks to be about $1800, that's roughly half of a Speedy Pro. Buying a placeholder watch that costs 50% of the watch you truly want? That's a really bad idea, IMO. After figuring in transactional and depreciation costs, it just doesn't make sense if you're worried that you might want something else.

So, IMO, your real choice is between the Fortis Flieger Pro and the Speedy Pro.

Have to say Speedy Pro here. If it's a bit out of your budget at the moment, I think it's definitely worth saving for versus purchasing a "placeholder", as TommyWine wrote. The Speedy is one of the most iconic watches out there, you can't really go wrong with it!
    ptfly likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Aren't Fortis in trouble financially atm? I'd buy one for posterity if they float your boat, in case they sink.

As for Speedies? Not exactly off-the-beaten-track in my humble. Fortis is more interesting.
    MediumRB likes this.
    The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

Thanks for the insight. I think I agree. The cosmonauts really tries to fill an identical role as the speedmaster, just at half the price. Not to mention I've seen that it loses about 38% on resale value. I do however really like the Flieger, and I don't currently have a flight watch in my collection, so that may be my choice for now, and I'll save for the speedy down the road.

Yes, that is definitely something that I've thought about. However, I have read that the rumors of the company's troubles are in most part exaggerations.
    priamo likes this.

Placeholders are pretty expensive watches in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Tautology View Post
    I'm afraid that the cosmonaut will just be a place holder for what may unfairly be considered the ultimate space watch.
    Last edited by Fantasio; February 3rd, 2018 at 09:53. Reason: typo
    drwindsurf likes this.
    Cheers, M

"Both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel, may the wind take your troubles away."

- Son Volt -

Everytime I see the Speedy, I'm enchanted by it. I think that's far and away the best of the 3 you've listed
    ptfly likes this.

Banned

It sounds like the Speedmaster is what you want. Keep saving and don't buy any substitutes. It will only take longer and cost more to get your dream watch.
    Paulo 8135 likes this.

The Speedmaster is my choice.
    Paulo 8135 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information