Help me pick out a new daily work watch.
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Help me pick out a new daily work watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me pick out a new daily work watch.

I've been struggling to select the right watch to use as a daily "work watch." I dress in a suit and tie, so a watch that can fit under a cuff is ideal. Sometimes I roll my sleeves, sometimes they're down and buttoned. It is worth noting that although I mostly work from a desk, that isn't always the case and ideally the watch I'm going to get can shrug off a few dings.

I did purchase a Marathon 36mm Mini-TSAR as I thought it would be perfect, but it turns out it's just a bit too small. The regular size TSAR I feel is too big and thick, so I think Marathon is out as an option.

I am completely open as far as styles, dress divers and more classic styles are all on the table, as well as more casual watches that can be dressed up a bit. Price is up to $1000. I'm looking for more unique pieces or basically something "different." And my only definition of different is "not typical" if that makes any sense. I'm sort of "over" Hamilton / Tissot and the mid level Swiss watches as I've owned quite a few of them in the past and want to go in a different direction.

In addition to Marathon, I've been strongly considering a Stowa Antea or Archimede deck watch. Other considerations were a Halios Tropik, Ball Fireman, and the thought of a great condition Seiko 6105 entered my mind as well.

My collection is in my signature to help recommend a piece that will "fit." While several of my watches would certainly fit the bill, I like having a specific "work watch" because I baby my watches and since this watch has the possibility to get beat up, I want one watch to take the beating.

Thanks very much guys, been scratching my head a bit here.
    Last edited by Memento Vivere; August 27th, 2014 at 07:16.
    Rolex: Submariner 16803 (Two Tone)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional
    Grand Seiko: SBGA031 | 6146-8020 61GS

Seiko: SLA025 6159 Reissue | SLA019 LE MM300 |
    SLA017 62MAS Reissue| SBDX017 MarineMaster 300m | SBDC047 Blue Transocean | SRPA19 Zimbe Turtle | 6105 8110 |SCVF005 "Red" Alpinist | 5246-6000 Chronometer Special King Seiko

Damasko: DC66
    Sinn: 556i

Re: Help me pick out a new daily work watch.

Not typical, works with a suit, about $1000, fits with a tool-ish collection...

Name:  20140426_wruw.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  44.5 KB

I like it on the bracelet, but it would work as well or better on leather. BONUS: 200m WR, diver's clasp.

Good luck with the search!
    Memento Vivere likes this.

Sinn, Nomos, Stowa, pick your poison. Personally I'd go Nomos but sub 1000 dollars it may be difficult even for used.
    At <1000 it's nearly impossible to get something that's not Japanese and not ETA so even if you do go with Sinn and Stowa the movements are the same as found in Tissots.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You

You could get something different... Chronometer too!

C70 VW4 Chronometer - Limited Edition with brown strap - Christopher Ward
    Attached Images Attached Images

LACOoooooo - very interesting designs
    Last edited by harryst; August 27th, 2014 at 08:19.

Quote Originally Posted by edeag3 View Post
    Sinn, Nomos, Stowa, pick your poison. Personally I'd go Nomos but sub 1000 dollars it may be difficult even for used.
    At <1000 it's nearly impossible to get something that's not Japanese and not ETA so even if you do go with Sinn and Stowa the movements are the same as found in Tissots.
    Assuming I said up to $2500, what would you recommend?

SLA017 62MAS Reissue| SBDX017 MarineMaster 300m | SBDC047 Blue Transocean | SRPA19 Zimbe Turtle | 6105 8110 |SCVF005 "Red" Alpinist | 5246-6000 Chronometer Special King Seiko

Thanks so far guys...

The Sinn 556 is now on my short list for considerations, as that is almost exactly the type of watch I was thinking of. Something versatile yet tough.

I also completely forgot about Chris Ward so I'll have to check those out again.

Much appreciated.

Now you could do a lot better: The thing that immediately pops into my head is the Tudor black bay (leather strap and yes I know it's ETA), many Grand Seikos can be had in that range if you have ahmmm connections to get better discounts or go used. Interesting Longines could work too but I think you could do better with the same money towards GS. Junghans also looks interesting but I have no experience with them.
    Personally I'd buy a Grand Seiko (something simple) or a Nomos, but GS for me because I know a guy...

If you say up to $2500, then maybe an Omega AT 2500. If you got it in blue, that would make it different and might fit with your collection.

photo borrowed from WUS member ASRSPR

wwarren and gippo like this.

In addition to Sinn, and in a similar vein, you could also look at Damasko, which makes some very nice (and tough) watches with both white and black dials, most under $1500.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information