Help me pick a watch :)
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help me pick a watch :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Help me pick a watch :)

So, all my watches have metal bracelets, and it's time for me to get a nice casual watch with a leather strap. It has to be a self-winding mechanical watch. I want something that looks classic, with a dial that is not overcrowded with dials and hands, and probably the most important of all a quality leather strap that lasts for long. My budget is $450, and I don't mind the origin as long as it's of a good quality.

What do you suggest?

Re: Help me pick a watch :)

This may not help much, but you can buy any watch you like and just throw a leather strap on after the fact. Judging by your budget this may not leave a lot of wiggle room, but I've owned dozens of various leather straps and can say without a doubt the best one is the Hodinkee vintage strap (http://shop.hodinkee.com/collections...-leather-strap). Yes, it sucks to pay $150 for a strap but I have a few that were similar in price that simply aren't nearly as nice. It's soft, comfy, smells good, breaks in quick, conforms like it was made for your wrist, and looks stellar. Sorry about not having any watch suggestions but this is the definitely the route you want to take with the strap.

Melbourne Hawthorn on tan leather. I love the strap. It is well within your budget. It wears well in most all occasions. I am probably going to have to purchase another one, because I let my father borrow mine and he has kept it for the past three months lol. He loves it as well.

Melbourne Watch Company - Hawthorn

hayday likes this.
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post
    This may not help much, but you can buy any watch you like and just throw a leather strap on after the fact. Judging by your budget this may not leave a lot of wiggle room, but I've owned dozens of various leather straps and can say without a doubt the best one is the Hodinkee vintage strap (HODINKEE - Shop Luxury Timepiece Accessories - Black Leather Strap). Yes, it sucks to pay $150 for a strap but I have a few that were similar in price that simply aren't nearly as nice. It's soft, comfy, smells good, breaks in quick, conforms like it was made for your wrist, and looks stellar. Sorry about not having any watch suggestions but this is the definitely the route you want to take with the strap.
    I agree. I put a very expensive strap on my Seagull 1963 and it made a world of difference. Many bands that come with watches are not great. Better to spend $150 on a great strap.

Welcome to the forum! My choice in that price range would be the Seiko SARB 065 'Cocktail Time'. Classic looks and a beautiful dial. It comes on a patent leather looking strap that is very well made (but is stiff and takes some breaking in). This watch is not casual though - it's on the dressy side so I'm not sure if it works for you. The watch is great value now seeing as the Yen vs. dollar exchange rates now make it considerably cheaper than it previously was.

I think the Tissot Visodate is a solid choice - sapphire crystal, Swiss movement, classic looks. Again the watch is on the dressy side, however, I think that it is always easier for a dressy watch to be worn casually than a casual watch to be worn in dressy situations.

A flieger of some kind, i.e. preowned Laco would be a decent option as well, especially if you are leaning casual.
    Last edited by mpalmer; October 23rd, 2014 at 08:20.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Help me pick a watch :)

Last edited by Contaygious; October 23rd, 2014 at 08:26.
    alex79 likes this.
    PML, Omega Mark II, LLD, Meister Telemeter, DA36, Tropik SS, Zelos

-Tissot Visodate
    -Seiko SARB033/035 (comes with metal bracelets but you can easily change to a leather strap or alternatively there's a version that also comes with a leather strap as default)
    -Hamilton Khaki Field

Victorinox Alliance Mechanical (~400-450$)

Here's mine:

Seiko Alpinist ($410, default leather strap is crappy, get a Hirsch in another $50)
    Last edited by blowfish89; October 23rd, 2014 at 10:37.
    Mediocre likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by watchgeekwatchnut View Post
    -Tissot Visodate
    I haven't experienced a $150 strap before - I'm perfectly happy with much cheaper ones from Hirsch - however you'll definitely want to upgrade the strap on the visodate - the stock one is rubbish.

Toothbras has a very good point. Buy the watch you like and put a nice strap on it (if it doesn't already have one)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information