Help me understand buying/offering etiquette on the sales forum
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Help me understand buying/offering etiquette on the sales forum

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help me understand buying/offering etiquette on the sales forum

I have bought/sold/traded probably a dozen watches over the past year with little issue. Dealt with good to great people. I am currently selling a dive watch on the sales forum and for some reason folks have just been disappointing me.

Here is my issue, in the past 24hrs 3 different members have sent offers to which I have countered in a timely manner(not crazy counters, between $10-$25 differences) and not one of those 3 members has bothered to respond to my counter. Not a yes, no, go to he$$, nothing. In the past I and most people I have dealt with during the buying process have at least extended the curtosity of replying. Just disappointed in what a know is the minority in this community.

Ok, rant over, everyone enjoy Labor Day!

Re: Help me understand buying/offering etiquette on the sales forum

I would be tempted to think that they are not that serious about buying. However, it is Labour Day weekend, and they might just be busy barbecuing or something...
    MZhammer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forest24018 View Post
    I have bought/sold/traded probably a dozen watches over the past year with little issue. Dealt with good to great people. I am currently selling a dive watch on the sales forum and for some reason folks have just been disappointing me.

Here is my issue, in the past 24hrs 3 different members have sent offers to which I have countered in a timely manner(not crazy counters, between $10-$25 differences) and not one of those 3 members has bothered to respond to my counter. Not a yes, no, go to he$$, nothing. In the past I and most people I have dealt with during the buying process have at least extended the curtosity of replying. Just disappointed in what a know is the minority in this community.

Ok, rant over, everyone enjoy Labor Day!
    Its been happening to me too, its really irritating.
    Collection:
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    JLC Deep Sea Chrono
    Breguet Marine Grande Date
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sometimes that is telling of how a transaction will go if you end up selling to these folks. I'd sell for a little less to a polite buyer rather than duke it out for a few more bucks with the bezel kickers.
    brandon\ and watchma like this.
    Lots of dive watches.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Eric L. View Post
    bezel kickers.
    I like it

I agree , if you've given them a reasonable time to respond , is it worth doing business with 'em?

Mind you if the deal was good I wouldn't be leaving it any time before replying to ensure I got the deal

Busy holiday weekend

Banned

I usually find they also have different names on forums, live in different areas that what is on their avatar and in general are making a lot of low offers. When I ask about inconsistencies they often lie. Some ask for things we are supposed not to to. Lie on customs, pay PP as gift. Send to a different address. Just remember, it is free to be a member and that includes felons, want to be felons and plain ole crooks. Always deal,with someone with references. Just be sure they are now new, sorry but learn to
    post and contribute before selling or buying.
    call them on the phone, ask for the number. Ask for past deals if suspicious. You more than likely are lucky so far.
    and lastly, the ones who haggle over ten bucks or so might be the same flippers I sometimes deal with.. Or rather ignore

So you would not recommend not selling to someone new to the forum? Seems like that would inhibit people new to the hobby. I personally don't own a particularly nice dive watch yet, so probably don't have terribly much to contribute to forum discussions but would be in the market for entry level watches such as Steinhart and Armida as they come up.

Banned

You have to be reading this wrong. Anyone posting a sale with just one thread is or could be a person using an alias. Like FB or Tweeter many are non existent orphaned. If you buy or sell with no references it behooves the other side to check you out. Me, I was once new... But had to prove myself, not everyone wants to deal with a newbie.
    To think otherwise is silly, you would not sell to one with out knowing for sure who they are. If you do, you will get scammedn here or Craigslist or eBay. Amazing lack of understanding, but the world of frauds profits from naive people.

Take a moment. Think of what you wrote.

Sometimes I respond to counters, but generally I don't. When I make an offer, it is pretty much best and final. Unless the counter is pretty close to my offer, I don't think any more back and forth is likely to be productive. We're too far apart, and I don't want to insult the seller if I think our opinion on value is too different. As a buyer I don't play games with offers (ie offer way low, assuming the buyer will come back and we'll go back and forth). I also assume sellers do the same, so when a counter isn't acceptable to me, I conclude there is nothing more to talk about.

Everything depends on context though. I've bought 4 watches off the forum this year, the least expensive was $900. If I made an offer of $900 and got a counter within $10-25 dollars, I'd do the deal. OTOH, if I were buying $50 watches and the watches were fairly common, I probably wouldn't bother responding to a counter which represented such a large percentage disparity in price. In the end though, you let people know your counter and they either buy or don't. First buyer to deliver the cash wins. If a buyer doesn't respond to a counter who cares. Buying and selling isn't personal. Buyers either buy or they don't, just as sellers either sell or they don't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information