Help me understand... Please

Thread: Help me understand... Please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ORC

Help me understand... Please

Homage? Please define. :thanks

Banned

Re: Help me understand... Please

Copy of an established or wellknown watch/design, without implying it is the real one.
    Can have a sterile dial, or a dial with the makers name, like Dievas.
    A tribute.
    I am sure there is a better definition though!
    Last edited by Janne; November 10th, 2008 at 03:06.

An homage is a watch that looks like another watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

An homage is a watch that is meant to look like a more expensive or popular watch (most popular watches: Panerai, Rolex, Omega) but it is not a counterfeit. It will not have the brand name on the watch, although much else will be a similar copy.

Such as many Alpha models, Marina Militare models, and others. I personally own both a marina militare and an Alpha Speedy Homage, since i love the looks and bought both to see if i am going to like how they feel on my wrist before making the investment towards the real things.

Homages are great tools to use if you want to "test ride" a watch for a month or two to see if its right for you before spending the loot.

I think the key difference is that while it is styled similarly to something else, it does not pretend to be that something else.

It's also a fuzzy line. Are certain Chronoswiss pieces homages to Breguets? I leave it to you, dear reader, to decide.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

hom·age, noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French homage, omage, from home man, vassal, from Latin homin-, homo human being; akin to Old English guma human being, Latin humus earth — more at humble, Date: 14th century.

1 a: a feudal ceremony by which a man acknowledges himself the vassal of a lord b: the relationship between a feudal lord and his vassal c: an act done or payment made in meeting the obligations of vassalage

2 a: expression of high regard : respect —often used with pay b: something that shows respect or attests to the worth or influence of another : tribute <his long life filled with international homages to his unique musical talent — People> synonyms see honor
    Last edited by lysanderxiii; November 10th, 2008 at 14:14.

stuffler,mike

Unfortunately there is not only one definition.

I know that a lot of guys here define those look-a-likes as homage watches.
    But according to the definition "homage" (french: "hommage" referring to "homme") is generally used in modern English to mean any public show of respect to someone to whom one feels indebted. I doubt that that is really the intention of those producing this kinda stuff. They want to sell look-a-likes. Nobody is really interested to show respect to let's say Panerai when producing a look-a-like.

So imho most of those hamage watches are affordable / cheap imitations, not replicas and not fakes or copies.

Just my two cents (my definition).

A "homage" can also be a modern watch that brings back the look and style of a watch no longer in production such as this MkII (tribute to a vintage Blancpain):

IMHO it is just a word. The word that allows us to wear a replica and pretend that it isn't.

Edited: Been in a bad mood a few minutes ago. Let's try a little more elegant approach: What about "a replica which is not trying to fool anyone" ?
    Last edited by workaholic_ro; November 11th, 2008 at 15:32.
    Renee Descartes walks into a bar, the bartender says 'sir can I get you a Martini ?', Descartes says 'I don't think...' and he disappears

Cheers,
    Fidel
    (DWP #001/100)

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Unfortunately there is not only one definition.

I know that a lot of guys here define those look-a-likes as homage watches.
    But according to the definition "homage" (french: "hommage" referring to "homme") is generally used in modern English to mean any public show of respect to someone to whom one feels indebted. I doubt that that is really the intention of those producing this kinda stuff. They want to sell look-a-likes. Nobody is really interested to show respect to let's say Panerai when producing a look-a-like.

So imho most of those hamage watches are affordable / cheap imitations, not replicas and not fakes or copies.

Just my two cents (my definition).
    I agree with Mike. Homage implies reciprocity, i.e., a respect for what's been achieved is mirrored. Problem is it's not reciprocity, it's not symbiotic, but parasitic, and homage is used as a word to cover their profitmaking. Homage is a euphemism to give legitimacy to commercial use and exploitationi. But please don't call them homages, don't insult our language, they're legal copies for commercial gain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information