Help! might have been ripped off

Thread: Help! might have been ripped off

Help! might have been ripped off

I bought a watch off ebay for a great price, the guy said he needed money for a new business or so he says. Anyways because of the amount I did a wire transfer. He's said he had problems with postage etc...but if you fed ex why would you have postage problems? He claims the watch has been shipped and hasn't given me a tracking number because hes been busy moving. Its been almost a month since i've paid now and still no watch. If he did really ship the watch it should have arrived within a few days.

Is there anything I can do? Im over seas btw and the guy is in Canada

Pls help

Re: Help! might have been ripped off

Quote Originally Posted by nebgonf View Post
    I bought a watch off ebay for a great price

snip

He claims the watch has been shipped and hasn't given me a tracking number because hes been busy moving. Its been almost a month since i've paid now and still no watch.

snip

Pls help
    Obviously I don't know the whole story but going by what you say I'm almost certain you have been ripped off. The "great price" should have rung alarm bells but at least it means you haven't been taken down for the fair market price. Will the police in your country do anything about it? Most police file and forget these incidents, unless it involves a lot of money.

If you believe you've been had then your only avenue would be to inform the authorities in Canada wouldn't it? It would be classified as postal fraud i think.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You were taken. When purchasing by ebay (or any method online) it is best to have a means to "backup" your transaction through the use of a credit card - on ebay this means Paypal. Same for the sales forums here too.

Unfortunately a wire transfer is difficult to trace unless the scammer was foolish enough to keep the account open on the other end. The suggestion above to contact the Canadian authorities with all the information you have is likely your only recourse. If you have the auction info, contact ebay as well to shut the scammer down.
    Lots of dive watches.

I too think you have probably lost your money.

There is one reason and only one reason that someone you do not know would ask for a wire transfer. And that is simply that once you've sent your money you can't get it back.
    So what can you do? Well, if I were in your shoes there would be two things I'd do.

1/ I would make contact with the Canadian police. I'd make damn sure that they have everything they need to track the guy down and I'd push to make sure that they do that. For example, I'd pester ebay for the date, time & the IP address of the machine that set up the auction you responded to. Then I'd use a "whois" to determine the guys ISP and write to the ISP copying the police demanding that they release details of who was using that IP address at the time the auction was set up.
    With this info, the Police should have a name, a credit card number and a last known address.
    If the chap is still there, I'd be tempted to start civil proceedings for breach of contract. Here in the UK, it is also possible for an individual to initiate criminal proceedings, although usually this is done by the crown prosecution service. If I had no joy from the police, then, depending on the sum of money involved, I would consider this.

OK, enough bashing of the other party.

2/ I'd learn a valuable lesson. When someone asks for wire transfer, postal order, BACS, or anything that isn't paypal or credit card backed you need to walk away.

having been taken myself once, Canadian Police seem uninterested in low level fraud unless you can point to it being systematic or ongoing. At least that was my experience...

I wish you the best.

BTW, where was s/he from?
    Chris
    Glashutte Original Panomaticluna XL, Doxa Sharkhunter GMT, Seiko Monster Mod, Dwatch, Longines Legend Diver, Hamilton Maestro, Vostok Expedition, Volmax Aviator Flying Tank, Vostok Lunokhod, Custom PAM Homage, Nixon Mahogany Rotolog, St Mortiz Storm Chronograph

Don't wait

Some good ideas have been mentioned. Start now.

For all you know the guy might watch this forum..
    Mike

"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Thread Information