Help in narrowing down a lost of contendors for a first automatic?

Thread: Help in narrowing down a lost of contendors for a first automatic?

Help in narrowing down a lost of contendors for a first automatic?

Sorry to create this when I just created another post earlier. The response to the other post was pretty lackluster, and I think this may have something to do with the open-endedness of the prior post.

Now that I've done some research, I wanted to get some feedback on the contendors I've been recommended. I've been asking around on a couple of watch forums for a cheap(er) automatic, as I'm on a students budget (you probably won't dissuade me on the automatic bit, something about it really intrigues me--though I would knock a watch off the list if it was horribly inaccurate) and gotten the following recommendations:

-Invicta 8926 (I'm also interested in some of their other cheaper line-up offerings, but have no idea how they fare)
    -Mido Multifort (probably my favorite as far as aesthetics go so far)
    -Hamilton Khaki
    -Seiko Military Watch

and one vintage (well, that I can afford)
    -Eterna Matic (if I can find this on the cheap, I'm also very fond of its aesthetics, but I'm worried about how it fares in terms of accuracy and durability, given the age).

I'm looking for some objective comparisons on the accuracy of the movements of these watches as well as build-quality and durability (specifically solid vs. folded band and quality of the crystal--I assume at this point that none of them will be sapphire, but are any of them more resilient than others?).

To put this in context, I'm looking for a watch that I can wear everyday. My last watch (a cheap Fossil) was on my wrist nearly everyday for 8 years. I'd really like to get a watch that will outlast the old one but be able to serve a similar tour of duty. I don't plan on being exceptionally rough with it, but it will go with me everywhere from classes to my bike to occasional trips to the pub (where things may get a bit harry). Anyone have any opinions about those presented or other recommendations? Also, if anyone has any ideas about what kind of prices one can expect to pay on, say, E-bay for some of these watches, that would be EXTREMELY helpful (particularly for the Eterna Matic and Mido Multifort).

Thanks much,
    Will

Re: Help in narrowing down a lost of contendors for a first automatic?

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
    Sorry to create this when I just created another post earlier. The response to the other post was pretty lackluster, and I think this may have something to do with the open-endedness of the prior post.

Now that I've done some research, I wanted to get some feedback on the contendors I've been recommended. I've been asking around on a couple of watch forums for a cheap(er) automatic, as I'm on a students budget (you probably won't dissuade me on the automatic bit, something about it really intrigues me--though I would knock a watch off the list if it was horribly inaccurate) and gotten the following recommendations:

-Invicta 8926 (I'm also interested in some of their other cheaper line-up offerings, but have no idea how they fare)
    -Mido Multifort (probably my favorite as far as aesthetics go so far)
    -Hamilton Khaki
    -Seiko Military Watch

and one vintage (well, that I can afford)
    -Eterna Matic (if I can find this on the cheap, I'm also very fond of its aesthetics, but I'm worried about how it fares in terms of accuracy and durability, given the age).

I'm looking for some objective comparisons on the accuracy of the movements of these watches as well as build-quality and durability (specifically solid vs. folded band and quality of the crystal--I assume at this point that none of them will be sapphire, but are any of them more resilient than others?).

To put this in context, I'm looking for a watch that I can wear everyday. My last watch (a cheap Fossil) was on my wrist nearly everyday for 8 years. I'd really like to get a watch that will outlast the old one but be able to serve a similar tour of duty. I don't plan on being exceptionally rough with it, but it will go with me everywhere from classes to my bike to occasional trips to the pub (where things may get a bit harry). Anyone have any opinions about those presented or other recommendations? Also, if anyone has any ideas about what kind of prices one can expect to pay on, say, E-bay for some of these watches, that would be EXTREMELY helpful (particularly for the Eterna Matic and Mido Multifort).

Thanks much,
    Will

Will, any of those watches and also the Eterna Matic will serve you well. Your first watch will be under $200.00 and for Mido Multifort, a bid on eBay will be between $70-$150. I paid $140 for my Multifort and I'm very happy with it. It keeps time quite well. Some day, you may want to get a mid-priced watch but for now your experience with your first automatic will help you decide what you'd like in a more expensive watch down the road.

Your first watch will have a mineral glass face and come with a strap. It won't have the finish and refinement of the movement parts that a more expensive watch would have but it will be reliable and the best part is you never have to bother changing a battery again! Hope this helps.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The one thing to say against vintage watches is that the water protection is practically zero (unless it was/is a true diver's watch). Those things leak like crazy around the crown tube. No problem - if you have an office job in not the most sweaty environment. Even though the modern "3Atm/30m" water proofness should not really be taken literally, it is a little better than what you get in a vintage watch. That said, some of the old Eterna-matics were also sports/diver watches so it depends on what you get.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm still concerned about the durability of the Eterna. Will it really serve as well as the modern pieces for a daily watch? I mean, say I should take a spill on my bike and land on my wrist--despite the lack of any kind of shock protection, will it be coming out okay?

There must be some differences between these watches performance/quality wise. For example, I found at least one website that claims the Mido has a saphire crystal, which would certainly enhance its appeal over the others. Again, just trying to dig through hyperbole for facts.

Thread Information