Help, need to buy a watch
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Help, need to buy a watch

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Help, need to buy a watch

Hello everyone, new here.

I am useless with watches however I have big occasion coming up and have decided to buy a watch for my husband. He likes watches (and clocks) and so far has two watches: Seiko double tone and Citizen golden looking. None of those are new but several years old and still looking good. He loves them but I have to say I bought them as that is what was in the shop and it was among expensive ones. He seemed to recognise both Seiko and Citizen as brands so I was happy that I bought it. I know there are more expensive ones but honestly I do not know even where to look. Are you able to help me with guidance?

This is where i stand:

• Any price up to $3000 or whereabouts. I am aiming around $2000. It can be less of course but not below $1000
    • Seems my husband likes golden look and it suits him really well, he is fair looking and is more classical/formal dress (not sporty, and not rough) person.
    • I don't like double tone, not fan of leather or fabric as in band
    • We are in Melbourne, Australia and I prefer shop bought vs online.
    • Probably not Seiko nor Citizen anymore, just because he has those already
    • Would like it to be something nice about it, or special about it, if it is possible for that price. I liked one watch that I could see an inside of it, it was Raimond Weil, never heard of it so wasn't sure. Only liked that about that watch, not much else

Hope you don't find this post too weird,
    would appreciate your help!

thanks guys
    KiwiWomble likes this.

Re: Help, need to buy a watch

Tudor Black Bay S&G, available in 2 color variants and in 41mm or 36mm.

ValerieAu and RickHoliday like this.
    IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1 PRO TREK PRT-4000T-7A PRT-4000T-7B
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006

JAEGER-LECOULTRE GRANDE REVERSO ULTRA THIN DUOFACE Q3788570 (GRAIL)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good on you for thinking about this. The best advice is to see if you can get some hints from your husband, unless you want it to be a pure surprise (in which case, keep the receipt!). When you get a chance, measure the diameter of his current watches and decide if you think they look too big, too small, or about right.
    If you can go to one of the local watch stores and peruse for awhile, you may get a sense of quality and value distinctions among brands. Maybe try Zaeger or Hardy Brothers?
    In your price range, you may look at Seiko Presage lineup (fancier than regular Seikos), Longines, Baume & Mercier, or even stretch to Tag Heuer.

If you want to try mail order, then check out offerings from Christopher Ward, as they have nice designs and good value: https://www.christopherward.com/
    There is also Melbourne Watch Company, if you want to be a local supporter: https://www.melbournewatch.com.au/

The gold-toned watches may be a bit passe these days, so consider a stainless steel watch with a warmer dial color, like champagne or brown. If he really is a gold person (matches his other jewelry and belt buckles), then do not shy away from a gold-plated watch on a leather strap. You can always buy more straps to match his shoes and belt and keep it fresh!
    Sebast975, ValerieAu and Davidka like this.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Modern: Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Ralf Tech WRV 1977, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, "Blumo" SBDC003, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7068 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), 6309-7290 (1987), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984).

Check out these options from Mido. Highly reputable Swiss brand, gold tone cases, in your price range. These are automatics, have see-through casebacks. He may need some getting used to an automatic since it requires being worn regularly to keep running (or you need a winder).
    Attachment 14221305
    Name:  Mido Chronometer.png
Views: 92
Size:  70.8 KB
    Name:  Mido Commander.png
Views: 96
Size:  67.6 KB
    Name:  Mido Dual Time.png
Views: 100
Size:  269.6 KB
    Name:  Mido Patrimony.png
Views: 92
Size:  242.3 KB
    MediumRB, ValerieAu and tumbler like this.
    It's not a matter of mercy
    It's not a matter of laws
    Plenty of people will kill you
    For some fanatical cause
    - Rush

C-3PO: "Is there anything I might do, sir?"
    Luke: "Not unless you can alter time, speed up the harvest or teleport me off this rock."

I just want to tell you that asking for a gold watch without a leather band is a hard find. Essentially, what you're asking for is a gold watch with a gold bracelet (because you don't like two-tone). But two-tone exists because many people find a fully-gold watch to be too ostentatious.
    It makes it extra hard you want store bought in Australia because that closes off many options that would have been available over the internet.
    Also, my advice is forgo your "two-tone" restriction or your "leather band" restriction because these two things are cutting out 90% of your potential choices.
    Thinking about "easy to get" brands that are more prestigious and cost more money and are Swiss made, the one brand I am thinking of for your situation is LONGINES.
    This one oozes class and refinement (part of the Longines Master Collection, 18K pink gold):

Name:  the_longines_master_collection.png
Views: 90
Size:  63.5 KB
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour ętre heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Quote Originally Posted by MaDTempo View Post
    Check out these options from Mido. Highly reputable Swiss brand, gold tone cases, in your price range. These are automatics, have see-through casebacks. He may need some getting used to an automatic since it requires being worn regularly to keep running (or you need a winder).
    If you want to see the Mido watches, the only place close to you that sell them is Angus & Coote in Chadstone or Lotte Duty-Free at 185 Swanston St.
    I wouldn't call Mido highly reputable or highly regarded, though. If anything, they are relatively unknown and under-appreciated Swiss brand and probably regarded more as an entry-level company.
    The prices will be more reasonable than Longines, though.
    ValerieAu likes this.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour ętre heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

hi everyone, that is great info! I researched suggestions and realised I prefer Tissot and Longines out of those other suggested. Tudor looks nice too but has slightly chunky appearance. I had no idea golden tones are passe! I just judged how it looks on my husbands hand :))
    I appreciate everyone's input, even though I did not mention each but it gave me a great insight (as much as I can handle considering I knew nothing before)

I did notice there is a difference in regards to movements. What does that tells me? what is difference between quarts, manual and automatic?

I may adjust my preference in regards to gold tones and leather, I did find blue and stainless steel Longines look so nice. As well as this Longines with brown leather band. It is beautiful. MediumRB do you know of any watch stainless steel with champagne dial colour as mentioned? without much search perhaps you have some in mind?

If I find few that I like from Tissot and Longines, which brand you would prefer? I know it can be very subjective but does anything outspends between those two brands?

thanks again!

wanted to say: ..Out-stands between those two brands

If I was to compare Tissot and Longines, they both have long and prestigious histories but Longines is seen as the more expensive and highly regarded brand.
    Tissot would be like a Toyota of Swiss watches and Longines is more like a Volkswagen.
    Also, always ask the dealer for a discount from the retail price.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast