Help needed. Is this a legit Valjoux/ETA 7750 movement with Moon phase?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bilgicer

Thread: Help needed. Is this a legit Valjoux/ETA 7750 movement with Moon phase?

Help needed. Is this a legit Valjoux/ETA 7750 movement with Moon phase?

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a watch on fleabay. The seller was claiming that the watch (Sydus Brand) has a 7750 ETA movement with date and moon phase. When I checked the movement, the ball bearings did not seem right to me. Also, I don't see anywhere on the movement a "Swiss" or "7750" stamp. Further, I thought moon phase movements were 7751 (I thought the seller made a mistake with the movement number in his listing). But 7751 movements have 25 jewels. This movement has 17 jewels.

Do you think this is a Chinese knock-off? I would love to hear if you have any opinions/comments on the movement.

Many thanks in advance!!

Here are the pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images

CitizenM likes this.

Re: Help needed. Is this a legit Valjoux/ETA 7750 movement with Moon phase?

It's not a 7750, it's 7751, but it looks like what it's supposed to be at first glance. Here's a 7750. The weird regulator index, blue circle, is a dead giveaway that it's a Valjoux movement design (although it doesn't necessitate authenticity, the 7750 has clones). Look for the ETA logo in the red circle.

Name:  ETA7750.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  126.2 KB

Here's a legit undecorated 7751:

Where do you see the jewel count? That could be informative. I believe Poljot has a clone of the 7751, and while I don't know Chinese movements off the top of my head, I'd imagine they had plenty of clones of it too. If it does indeed have 17 jewels, that would be quite vexing, since I believe the only Valjoux with 17 jewels is the 7765, but that's not helpful since that's a handwound, hence the lower number of jewels.
    Last edited by CitizenM; August 28th, 2014 at 02:35. Reason: typos new photos

Thanks for your post, CitizenM!

I now see the ETA stamp on the movement. Maybe this movement is the real deal? It really doesn't make sense to put a counterfeit 7751 (which is still quite complicated movement) in a Sydus. I would think fraudsters would put it in a better brand, such as Breitling or Omega.

The writing about the 17 jewels can be seen in the first picture and the last picture. In the first picture, the jewel count is near the top of the picture. In the last picture (which has a better focus) the jewel count is on the right.

I've just read in other watch forums that ETA made the early 7751s with 17 jewels, but I can't really confirm it.

Does anyone have seen a similar movement before? Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by bilgicer; August 28th, 2014 at 05:01.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator High-end watches amine's Avatar

Moved to public.
    Oris Flight Timer R4118,Oris Carlos Coste 2007,Oris TT3,Rolex Submariner date,Rolex Milgauss GV,Rolex cosmograph Daytona,Rolex GMT Master II-C,Patek Philippe Nautilus 5712/1A,A.Lange & Söhne Lange1,Breguet Le Reveil Du Tsar,Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time,Audemars Piguet ROO Safari,Omega SMP1164,Panerai 177,Panerai 88,Panerai 214,Panerai 233,Breitling Navitimer world,Tag Heuer aquaracer D/D, Tag Heuer Microtimer,Tag Heuer SLR 2007 L.E,Tag Heuer Carrera, Cartier Santos 100,Frederique Constant Austin Healey L.E,Maurice Lacroix Pontos,Maurice Lacroix MP Double Retrograde,Chopard Mille Miglia GT XL 2007 L.E,Tissot Moto GP 2007 L.E,JeanRichard Chronoscope J-051,JeanRichard Chronoscope 25030,JeanRichard Bressel 16012,Longines Lindbergh 47mm,Girard Perregaux Laureato Evo3,Jaeger-Le-Coultre Master World Geographic,IWC Classic Pilot Chrono,IWC 5001 Portuguese 7 Days,Baume & Mercier Hampton XL Magnum,Zenith Defy Classic Chrono Aero,Zenith Defy Extreme Chrono,Longines Legend Diver...etc

The ETA signature is underneath the balance wheel, where it should be. I also saw that to the left of the ETA signature, 7751 is written. I took a picture of the movement when the watch wasn't running. Then, I circled the ETA signature with red and 7751 with blue in the picture:
    Name:  eta.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  68.1 KB

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Indeed it is an early and completely unfinished 7751.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thanks so much for your reply, Mike!

This is great news! I really scored by finding such a rare movement (an early 7551 with 17 jewels that is in perfect working condition) for a very reasonable price.

I also feel bad now. I was giving hard time to the seller, since I thought he sold me an Asian knock-off movement. It's time to apologize.

Thanks everyone for your help! I love WUS!!