help needed - Small diameter, domed watch w dressy\casual feel
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: help needed - Small diameter, domed watch w dressy\casual feel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help needed - Small diameter, domed watch w dressy\casual feel

I've been wearing by grandfathers Russian watch last weekend and love the small size and domed acrylic. Would love to get a modern watch w a nice domed crystal and conservative size 36-38mm ideally. The thing is I have this very specific image stuck in my mind, and nothing is quite measuring up to it.
    Want - white dial, leather strap, clean face (date only or no complications), straight thin lugs. Price range is kind of wide - but up to $1K is preferred.
    My Chr Ward Malvern is 38mm, but is not quite it - the case shape is too boxy and crystal is not as domed. SARB035 lugs are also too thick.
    Looked at Nomos Ludwig and while it's nice - the design is a bit too austere

Essentially Seiko SARB031 is what I'm looking for, but they are now discontinued and impossible to find.
    Name:  sarb0315001a.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  56.8 KB

Is there anything that's going to meet my needs, or should I just keep looking and hope someone flips a used SARB031?
    Only other one that comes to mind w a lot of similarity is Orient Star Classic - but it seems kind of bulky. Alternatively Orient Bambino almost meets my criteria - but at 40mm I'm afraid it will look like a dinner plate on my wrist.
    Thoughts?
    Domo likes this.

Re: help needed - Small diameter, domed watch w dressy\casual feel

Junghans three hander thats hand wound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Domo and EnderW like this.

I think Orient makes at least one model like that. The Bambino line, for one.
    Current Rotation: Seiko SARB017, Seiko SARB035, Seiko SKX013, Seiko World Timer (c. 1970).
    Box Sitters: 1972 Zodiac Astrographic (Yeah, baby!), Patek Calatrava (I bring that out for special occasions).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

+1 on the Max Bill - although if Nomoses are too "austere" maybe they're a bit plain also?

The look you describe is very Orient, a Royal orient WE0031 has an adjusted, beautiful handwind movement, solid silver (Ag 925) case and can be had around $1200. Very unique and a something I'd love to own. 18mm lugs, 35mm case, 10mm thick, 41mm L2L.

WE0031EG?Royal Orient?????????????

Name:  we0031eg-2.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  37.9 KB

Or available in very classy two-tone

WE0021EG?Royal Orient?????????????

Name:  we0021eg-2.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  23.6 KB

Name:  WE0031EG_11.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  307.9 KB

I was going to suggest the Orient Star Classic but it seems you've ruled it out. There is a 37mm manual wind Star that might be less bulky:

Orient Star Handwind – WZ0011DD | Yeoman's Watch Review
    Last edited by GlennO; May 14th, 2015 at 04:41.
    EnderW likes this.

The SARB 065 is about 40mm, has a silvery dial that shimmers and picks up reflected colors, has only a date complication, has a wildly domed hardlex crystal and costs about $400. However, the lugs are not entirely straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm S View Post
    Junghans three hander thats hand wound?
    My thought as well. The Max Bill hand wind is 34mm, I think the auto is 38mm though.

Thanks everyone who replied.
    - looked at Junghans. I've mostly seen their Max Bill offerings before and they did nto appeal to me based on dial\hands, but the Meister handwound at 38mm is great looking. The dome is a bit smaller than what I was looking for and it's a bit dressy (I want dress\casual versatility), but a great watch and will go on my short list
    - The bambino I looked at extensively online. The issue is size - 40mm that's all dial and my puny wrists may not mix well. I'm thinking of getting a Bamino anyway though - at $125 it can't hurt even if not a fit, but may look at new Roman numeral bambino and if it doesn't work out - flip or give it to someone.
    - SARB065 is a fine watch and may take it's place in my collection one-day on it's own merit, but not what I'm looking for here. It's pretty large and thick (I've handled it in person). I don't know what it is but the whole SARB line is just singing to me - own SARB033, plan to get SARB064 and 017 (alpinist). And would pay over new price for SARB031, but can't find the damn thing anywhere.
    - The Royal Orient is the closest to what I'm looking for. Not sure about Royal orient logo, but case dimensions are great. Still, after looking at more pictures online, I'm now leaning back to orient Star Classic. It's bulky, but seems most of it is from crystal thickness rather than the case. Which narrows down my choice to 2 for now:

So with orient Star classic:
    - I like the dial on WZ0251EL (although 60th anniversary is even nicer - but again discontinued LE). It's Auto so a bit thick.
    - But WZ0011DD has better dimensions - 1mm smaller diameter, 2mm less thick, and has a sapphire glass. It's a handwound, so thinner. What I don't like is the 6 and 12 markers on the dial.

Does anyone have one of these 2 and can comment on your experience w them. Or comment on these 2 choices in general (unless someone has SARB031, which I'll take off your hands with pleasure):
    Name:  wz0251el-a_large.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  26.2 KBName:  wz0011dd-a_large.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  20.0 KB

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  55.7 KB
    36mm, soon to be launched
    nicedream likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by EnderW View Post
    So with orient Star classic:
    - I like the dial on WZ0251EL (although 60th anniversary is even nicer - but again discontinued LE). It's Auto so a bit thick.
    - But WZ0011DD has better dimensions - 1mm smaller diameter, 2mm less thick, and has a sapphire glass. It's a handwound, so thinner. What I don't like is the 6 and 12 markers on the dial. Does anyone have one of these 2 and can comment on your experience w them. Or comment on these 2 choices in general (unless someone has SARB031, which I'll take off your hands with pleasure):
    Visually I prefer the WZ0011DD. I think it looks better without the date and has a more discreet PR indicator. The tiny deeply set dates on many of these Orients are a minor drawback for me. But I think you're right about the WZ0251EL - alot of the stated thickness is due to the crystal and I wouldn't describe the case as bulky. If you prefer its looks its probably the way to go. I think it's also a fair bit cheaper than the manual wind.
    Last edited by GlennO; May 16th, 2015 at 02:07.
    Domo and EnderW like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information