WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Help a Newbie with a Daily Driver Watch with Versatility

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  atdegs 
#1 ·
Hi All. I'm new to this site and generally new to watches. I've had an older Breitling Chronomat A13050.1 that I've been wearing as my daily on a black leather strap for the past 3-4 years. I'm looking to get a new watch for my daily and probably unload the Breitling at some point. In looking around on this site and online in general, I have been looking at the Sinn 104 (both with indices and Arabic numerals with the latter slowly gaining momentum), as well as the Damasko DA46, but I would like to hear other suggestions from the more knowledgeable. Here are my criteria:

1. The watch will be worn daily, so I need something that versatile enough that can be worn with shorts and t-shirt as well as a dress shirt and pants (with or without bracelet/strap change)
2. Automatic movement - Not particular on the movement, but I would think a simpler/more standard movement (e.g. ETA and the like) would be ideal especially if it's a brand like Sinn where I probably wouldn't go to an AD for servicing if needed
3. Good quality building, solid feel, and accurate time keeping
4. No more than $1,500USD - I'm not opposed to second hand purchases assuming they're in excellent shape, but my apprehension is paying for a frankenstein or fake watch due to my lack of knowledge on a particular brand/model
5. Size between 40-43mm
6. Ideally, it would be on a bracelet and I would buy aftermarket straps to interchange them but if it's strap only, it's not a dealbreaker.
7. Durable - Since it'll be worn daily, I'm not wanting something that will scratch too easily. I'm not hard on my watch, but at the same time, need something to withstand bumps and bruises along the way.
8. Bezel is a must

I'm sure there are other criteria but this is what I've come up with so far. If you make a recommendation on a watch or between two watches, can you please elaborate as to why so I can understand the logic and help with the decision making process?

Here are the reasons why I've added the Sinn 104 and Damasko DA46 in my list and hopefully this helps my thought process in selecting a watch:

Sinn 104 - both models

Pros:

1. Can be used with both bracelet and strap and would look good in any scenario
2. Not a mainstream brand but has a long history
3. Bi-directional bezel
4. Build quality compared to higher dollar watch category, durable and great time keeping
5. Understated yet captivating look

Cons:

1. Only one AD in the US, so price is not negotiable
2. It's simplistic look that offers versatility can also be a con in that I may grow tired of it
3. Cannot try it out locally, so would be buying it blindly

Damasko DA46

Pros:

1. Can be used on bracelet and straps and versatile
2. Small/relatively unknown family owned company that has limited number of watches released a year (i.e. no major production of watches)
3. I'm drawn to the bezel and dial as it has a bit of character, but not overdone
4. Multiple US ADs so could potentially negotiate a price that I'm comfortable with
5. Build quality/time keeping is said to be on par or above Sinn (depending on which user posts you read on forums)

Cons:

1. Can't try one locally so would be buying blind
2. Higher than my price range with a bracelet if new
3. the dial/numbers seem a little "cartoonish" (not sure if that's the right word for it) for dressy occassions

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Tony

See less See more
#4 ·
The Seiko Shogun comes to mind but, I myself isn't drawn to the design. But, having owned a Citizen with their ion plating the coating is quite robust for daily abuse, I would suspect the Seiko to be similar. Granted, I am not too sure of it's availability or any Diashield watches in your region. But, like you mentioned in your first post, being a diamond in the rough makes it hard to service or having an AD near by to see the watch in person. Which is why I kind of held off the Steinhart watches as they're like Sinn and Damasko, based in the EU.

But, between the brands that are mentioned I really like the Damasko, I find their website very easy to navigate and look up information with ease. Not to mention, their steel is very robust.

#5 ·
Thanks mythless! I'm with you in that I'm not really drawn to anything in the design that makes me want to spend the money on it. The Sinn and Damasko definitely draw me in by quite a bit more. While I can't find a local AD to try on, I think any experienced watch repair shop can service the watch given their movements. The Sinn 104 doesn't have much of the gas and other techs that are found in other models that would require me to send it back to Sinn. Even if it did (say the 857 model which I also love and quite similar to DA46 and out of my price range), I would be sending it directly to Sinn anyway for those things, so that's not a deal breaker for me.

As a side note. I was very interested in the Tag Aquaracer and all set to buy one as I was able to find an AD that I could get it from for half off, but when I tried in on at a store, the bracelet felt light and poorly made. That's the perception I got and was turned off quite a bit.

#6 ·
For the most part Damasko and Sinn uses swiss movements on their "lower" tier watches. So, by all means they can be serviced with ease without sending it to an AD.

The steel might be more robust on the Damasko vs Sinn and at least for me the Damasko is nickel free.

Take a look on watchrecon.com. I've spotted some nice Damasko for sale.

#7 ·
I've been looking on watchrecon.com as well. The problem is that the ones in my price range/taste are already sold. I'll have to be patient and keep looking but I was curious about other brands/models to look out for other than Sinn/Damasko as well. I'm open to suggestions from anyone who has an opinion...

#8 ·
ORISAquis Automatic Black Dial Stainless Steel Men's Watch 743-7673-4159MB, Stainless steel case with a stainless steel bracelet. Uni-directional rotating black ceramic bezel. Black dial with silver-tone hands and stick hour markers. Minute markers around the outer rim. Dial Type: Analog. Luminescent hands and markers. Date display at the 6 o'clock position. Small seconds sub-dial at the 9 o'clock position. Automatic movement with a 38 hour power reserve. Scratch resistant sapphire crystal. Solid case back. Case diameter: 46 mm. Case thickness: 17 mm. Round case shape. Band width: 22 mm. Fold over clasp. Water resistant at 500 meters / 1650 feet. Functions: date, hour, minute, second. Sport watch style. Watch label: Swiss Made. Oris Aquis Automatic Black Dial Stainless Steel Mens Watch 743-7673-4159MB.

#9 ·
Thanks cnorth! The one you suggested is a 46mm and rather thick at 17mm, but I definitely took a long, hard look at the Aquis and for some reason, I drifted away. In particular, I was looking at the black ceramic bezel with blue sunburst dial. The black on black is also nice. I'll have to take another look at those. I think the majority of the reason why I veered from it was that in reviews against one another (the other being the Sinn 104). Since Oris is more regularly available, I think I'll need to go to a store locally and see how it looks/feels in person. Thanks for bringing it back on my radar!

#11 ·
I think a used DA46/47 is a great choice and well within your budget. I wear mine everywhere except for very formal (which are rare occasions for me). I also like the Sinn 104 which is probably even more versatile, though its case will pick up more scratches over time than the Damasko.

#12 ·
Thanks GlennO! That's why I'm looking at both the Sinn and Damasko. Your reasoning about the Sinn is what makes me lean towards it some more (i.e. More versatile).

I've seen the Damasko with a 12 count bezel and a 60 count one. Can you let me know the difference between the two and are they available for the DA46? The 47 is nice too but the all black makes it less versatile IMHO.

Thanks again!

#18 ·
I've seen the Damasko with a 12 count bezel and a 60 count one. Can you let me know the difference between the two and are they available for the DA46? The 47 is nice too but the all black makes it less versatile IMHO.
Thanks again!
Yes they are available to buy with either a 12 hour bezel or 60 minute bezel. The 60 minute bezel is a normal timing bezel. The 12 hour bezel is for keeping track of a second time zone and can also be used as a timing bezel (with just a little thought to multiply the minutes).

#14 ·
I'm open to the style of either provided it meets my criteria in the OP. I took a look at the Perrelet Seacraft GMT and it's didn't catch my eye, but I also saw the 777M for sale here on the forums (https://www.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-perrelet-seacraft-777m-diver-2919114.html) and that looks very sharp. Haven't heard much about Perrelet but the name is familiar. Will need to do some digging on them as it's a very appealing watch.

I also saw a Squale 1521 for sale here for a reasonable price. I have heard great things about them, but they seem a little more on the casual/sporty side to me and not as versatile as the Sinn or Damasko. I'm leaning heavily towards the Sinn 104 now. I'm waiting on watchbuys.com to notify me when the 2 link bracelet version is available. I've even reached out to Sinn sales but have not heard back from them (don't expect to either).

#16 ·
Another vote for Oris Aquis here. Though if straps are your thing choices will be limited.

#19 ·
DrGonzo and sticky - Thanks for your input. The Oris is definitely nice, but something about it seems off. I don't know if it's the bezel/glass looking to be flat in relation to the rest of it or what. I can't put my finger on it, but something bothers me a little about the look.

GlennO- Thanks for the explanation and makes complete sense. Thanks! As I said in an earlier post, I'm leaning towards a Sinn. Of course the only AD for the US doesn't have the one with indices on strap available, nor the 2 link bracelet model available yet, so it's a wait game until it's available again by him, I find a good deal on a used, or I change my mind and find something else I want. :)

#20 ·
I don't personally have experience with Damsko or Sinn but I've heard nothing but good things about them. I saw where someone mentioned a Squale and that is a brand that I do have experience with, I love my Squales, and would recommend them. A word of warning however, I've read where different people have had problems with the bezel on the Squale, it having too much play and/or being misaligned. I personally have had 3 Squales and all have had great bezels so it seems like it may be a bit of a crap shoot. If that's something that bothers you it might not be worth the risk.

#21 ·
IYH - That was me that mentioned the Squale. There are a lot of things I like about them, but other than it being less versatile than I like, I'm also not too keen on all the Squale branding everywhere (i.e. two on the dial, engraving on the side of case, and on caseback). Also, the rubber strap and lack of bracelet is what keeps me from pulling the trigger on it.

#22 ·
So I was able to find and purchase a Sinn 104 with strap. I contacted Colareb (the ebay listing of the Venezia swamp strap I posted earlier) and they told me that they haven't been able to find the leather to make additional just yet and to check back in a few weeks. Can anyone help suggest a place where I can find a similar strap? I'm also looking to get a bracelet most likely and not sure the OEM 2-link at $320 plus shipping and handling is worth it. Any aftermarket braclets you can recommend? As always, I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.