Hi All. I'm new to this site and generally new to watches. I've had an older Breitling Chronomat A13050.1 that I've been wearing as my daily on a black leather strap for the past 3-4 years. I'm looking to get a new watch for my daily and probably unload the Breitling at some point. In looking around on this site and online in general, I have been looking at the Sinn 104 (both with indices and Arabic numerals with the latter slowly gaining momentum), as well as the Damasko DA46, but I would like to hear other suggestions from the more knowledgeable. Here are my criteria:
1. The watch will be worn daily, so I need something that versatile enough that can be worn with shorts and t-shirt as well as a dress shirt and pants (with or without bracelet/strap change)
2. Automatic movement - Not particular on the movement, but I would think a simpler/more standard movement (e.g. ETA and the like) would be ideal especially if it's a brand like Sinn where I probably wouldn't go to an AD for servicing if needed
3. Good quality building, solid feel, and accurate time keeping
4. No more than $1,500USD - I'm not opposed to second hand purchases assuming they're in excellent shape, but my apprehension is paying for a frankenstein or fake watch due to my lack of knowledge on a particular brand/model
5. Size between 40-43mm
6. Ideally, it would be on a bracelet and I would buy aftermarket straps to interchange them but if it's strap only, it's not a dealbreaker.
7. Durable - Since it'll be worn daily, I'm not wanting something that will scratch too easily. I'm not hard on my watch, but at the same time, need something to withstand bumps and bruises along the way.
8. Bezel is a must
I'm sure there are other criteria but this is what I've come up with so far. If you make a recommendation on a watch or between two watches, can you please elaborate as to why so I can understand the logic and help with the decision making process?
Here are the reasons why I've added the Sinn 104 and Damasko DA46 in my list and hopefully this helps my thought process in selecting a watch:
Sinn 104 - both models
1. Can be used with both bracelet and strap and would look good in any scenario
2. Not a mainstream brand but has a long history
3. Bi-directional bezel
4. Build quality compared to higher dollar watch category, durable and great time keeping
5. Understated yet captivating look
1. Only one AD in the US, so price is not negotiable
2. It's simplistic look that offers versatility can also be a con in that I may grow tired of it
3. Cannot try it out locally, so would be buying it blindly
1. Can be used on bracelet and straps and versatile
2. Small/relatively unknown family owned company that has limited number of watches released a year (i.e. no major production of watches)
3. I'm drawn to the bezel and dial as it has a bit of character, but not overdone
4. Multiple US ADs so could potentially negotiate a price that I'm comfortable with
5. Build quality/time keeping is said to be on par or above Sinn (depending on which user posts you read on forums)
1. Can't try one locally so would be buying blind
2. Higher than my price range with a bracelet if new
3. the dial/numbers seem a little "cartoonish" (not sure if that's the right word for it) for dressy occassions
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.