Help With Opening Watch Case
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help With Opening Watch Case

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help With Opening Watch Case

Hello folks I have my dad's old Tarleton mechanical watch that doesn't seem to be working and he said I could tinker with the internals. However, I can't seem to get the caseback open. There are no notches for a jaxa wrench and it isn't a pop-off back. I did notice little notches on the back of the watch where a tool might fit-- is there a specific tool for this type of caseback? Thanks.

Name:  20160720_171123 resize.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  84.8 KB
    Last edited by ClarenceJ; July 21st, 2016 at 02:20.

Re: Help With Opening Watch Case

Try using a sticky ball or make a sticky tape ball

Do you know a good place to get a sticky ball from? I've heard of people buying some before that don't work well. I will also try the sticky tape ball.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ClarenceJ View Post
    Do you know a good place to get a sticky ball from? I've heard of people buying some before that don't work well. I will also try the sticky tape ball.
    Funny enough, I found one at Walmart one time, but only because I had seen them on eBay. That's all I got really. Good luck

I've used duct tape to open a couple of watches. Worked suprisingly well actually.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

OP, I have to say I'm a little concerned with you tinkering with the movement. Just saying its a bit more complicated than the case back that's giving you problems.

But, I'll help, if it is a screw back and developed a bit of rust, spray it with WD40, or soak the edges with oil. Than you duct tape the jaws of your channel lock pliers and while holding the watch at the lugs with your hand carefully use the pliers to twist off the case back. This method has worked without damaging the case on a bunch old watches.

Good luck.
    Manchuri likes this.

Timewheel TWJAXW1 Jaxa Type Watch Case Back Opener Wrench for Waterproof Watches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GYZ6EQ..._hkeKxb85MJH35

And you'll need the tip that looks like this.

Good luck.
    The stories you have about your watches make them much more valuable than they really are.

It's like a Breitling back right?
    The stories you have about your watches make them much more valuable than they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by endotreated View Post
    It's like a Breitling back right?

It is similar, except the beveled edge on that Breitling is on the very edge of the case back, while on this Tarleton it's a bit more inward.

Also to the previous poster who was concerned about my tinkering, this watch is pretty much toast and ready for dissection!

...this watch is pretty much toast and ready for dissection!
    If you're not used to working on watches, make sure you're careful, especially with the mainspring. If you open the barrel the spring can eject and actually cause injury. From Wikipedia :

Hazards

The mainspring contains a lot of energy. Clocks and watches have to be disassembled periodically for maintenance and repair, and if precautions are not taken the spring can release suddenly, causing serious injury. Mainsprings are 'let down' gently before servicing, by pulling the click back while holding the winding key, allowing the spring to slowly unwind. However, even in their 'let down' state, mainsprings contain dangerous residual tension. Watchmakers and clockmakers use a tool called a "mainspring winder" to safely install and remove them. Large mainsprings in clocks are immobilized by "mainspring clamps" before removal.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information