Help Please S.O.S. Omega vs. IWC

Thread: Help Please S.O.S. Omega vs. IWC

Help Please S.O.S. Omega vs. IWC

I want to buy my first big boy watch, one that I put on when I wake up and take it off when I go to sleep. A watch that will last a lifetime and my kid would like to use when he gets older. I don't know much about movements and prestige brands, I only know what I find appealing and that goes with my style, I like the classic look of Rolex, but apparently it's not a good brand. I have these 3 in mind:

IWC Portofino Chronograph (I just love that mesh strap and that it's a day date)

Seamaster Aqua Terra 150 M Omega Co-Axial GMT 43 MM (the blue and look of an all day watch)

Speedmaster Moonwatch Omega Co-Axial Chronograph 44.25 MM (history and classic look)

I'm a big guy, 6'1" 250 pounds, so the watch needs to stand out, also 26 years old.

Thank you

Re: Help Please S.O.S. Omega vs. IWC

I would go with AT. I'll pick non-GMT version for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MeloRuiz View Post
    I want to buy my first big boy watch, one that I put on when I wake up and take it off when I go to sleep. A watch that will last a lifetime and my kid would like to use when he gets older. I don't know much about movements and prestige brands, I only know what I find appealing and that goes with my style, I like the classic look of Rolex, but apparently it's not a good brand. I have these 3 in mind:

IWC Portofino Chronograph (I just love that mesh strap and that it's a day date)

Seamaster Aqua Terra 150 M Omega Co-Axial GMT 43 MM (the blue and look of an all day watch)

Speedmaster Moonwatch Omega Co-Axial Chronograph 44.25 MM (history and classic look)

I'm a big guy, 6'1" 250 pounds, so the watch needs to stand out, also 26 years old.

Thank you
    1)What make you think Rolex is NOT a good brand?

2)A "Stand-out" watch usually not a good heirloom watch, look at those funky 50-60's "Stand-out" diver vs the classic Submariner.

3)The Co-axial speedmaster is part of the speedmaster product line, if history is what you after you might want to look at the Speedmaster Professional.

out of the three, speedmaster pro all the way. Put a 321 speedmaster next to a new one and most people will have a hard time telling the difference.

The AT is a very pretty watch but it has quite a bit of design update/upgrade, just look at the 2500 vs 8500 AT
    Last edited by iam7head; October 22nd, 2013 at 08:27.
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Milgauss GV 116400
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Hesalite/Sapphire Sandwich 3572.50
    Omega Seamaster Professional Ceramic 300M
    Officine Panerai Luminor 1950 372P
    Officine Panerai Luminor Base 000M
    Officine Panerai Radiomir Blackseal 380P
    IWC Pilot's MK XVIII "Le Petit Prince" IW327004
    Seagull x WUS Moonphase #7
    Casio G-Shock "Mudman" G-9000
    Swatch Sistem51 "Hodinkee" Vintage 84

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you
    I am curious as to why you think that Rolex isnt a good brand as well but among your choices I would lean towards the Speedmaster 44.25mm for aesthetic reasons.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by iam7head View Post
    1)What make you think Rolex is NOT a good brand?

2)A "Stand-out" watch usually not a good heirloom watch, look at those funky 50-60's "Stand-out" diver vs the classic Submariner.

3)The Co-axial speedmaster is part of the speedmaster product line, if history is what you after you might want to look at the Speedmaster Professional.

out of the three, speedmaster pro all the way. Put a 321 speedmaster next to a new one and most people will have a hard time telling the difference.

The AT is a very pretty watch but it has quite a bit of design update/upgrade, just look at the 2500 vs 8500 AT
    1) I like the look of rolex, but everyone keeps saying that it's more jewelry than a time piece with almost perfect movement like Omega's. And that there are a lot of imitations and replicas. But I love the style, that's what I'm looking in a watch.

I have no idea about movements, I like the rolex style and the mesh strap of the IWX and Breitling transocean. My limit is $6k and I want a good looking reliable watch that will last a couple of lifetimes, but hey I will always look at my cellphone for the most precise time. Thanks for the reply, I'll be looking forward to your recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by mew88 View Post
    I am curious as to why you think that Rolex isnt a good brand as well but among your choices I would lean towards the Speedmaster 44.25mm for aesthetic reasons.

It's what most people tell me, I don't know anything about brands or movements, I just like the look of something, but I'm thinking about spending around $6k, I want to make a good decision. Thanks for the reply, looking forward to your recommendations.

It's what most people tell me, I don't know anything about brands or movements, I just like the look of something, but I'm thinking about spending around $6k, I want to make a good decision. Thanks for the reply, looking forward to your recommendations.
    If you like the look of a Rolex I won't rule them out. Avoid the models with precious metals and what you have is a quality timepiece with a very robust movement.

As mentioned in the earlier post, I would pick the Speedmaster Co-Axial Chronograph out of the 3.

I'd go for a Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch. It wears bigger than its diameter suggests so should standout on your wrist, it's within your price range, and most importantly it's a pretty hard to beat in terms of its heritage.

If you like Rolex, you ahould also keep them in the frame. Great watches, it's just that some rule them out because they're a bit of an uber brand

Thread Information