Help Please, victorinox alpnach mechanical 241528 OR Oris Diver Watch?

Thread: Help Please, victorinox alpnach mechanical 241528 OR Oris Diver Watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help Please, victorinox alpnach mechanical 241528 OR Oris Diver Watch?

Hello,
    I am looking for an automatic swiss watch in range of 1000-1500$, i prefer the 45mm+ case watches.
    I comparing between Victorinox alpnach mechanical 241528 and a couple of Oris Diver watches (e.g Oris Titan Divers Small Second Date Automatic Watch 643-7638-7454RS)
    The Chronograph is not really important, i am really interested in the best quality and better movement.
    Please help me to choose my first automatic watch and any other suggestion of course will be welcomed.
    Thanks

Re: Help Please, victorinox alpnach mechanical 241528 OR Oris Diver Watch?

I'd rate Oris higher than VSA overall so I'll go with Oris on this one especially since you said chronograph isnt that important. Its essential to remember than the VSA is housing a pricier more complex movement than the Oris at a similar price point. That being said, both use very reliable trusted movements (ETA VJ775x on the VSA and SW200's on the Oris) that will do just fine. Oris just has a slight edge in overall quality of construction and reputation.

I have the first incarnation of the Alpnach auto chrono and can tell you that it's a very well-made watch, especially at the gray market going price. The bracelet in particular surprised me with the quality for the price; precise construction, good finishing, little rattle, push button clasp, and end links that fit more snugly to the case than a typical Omega bracelet. The applied numbers, domed sapphire crystal with AR on the underside, and secure bezel action are also nice touches. I believe this particular model is a step up or three from the more common Victorinox's. Also, the 7750 movement is usually seen in much more expensive watches and is a proven workhorse. I'm not sure about the SW200; it's a clone of a well-respected movement but I'm not sure how good of a job they did copying it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Guys for you fast and helpful replies.
    How about the look and feel?, from your opinion which watch will be stylish and look better in the hand?
    And personally which from this two brands you will prefer to wear ?
    Regards

The Victorinox has a more 'complex' movement only because it's a chrono, if it wasn't, it would most likely have the ETA2824 which is absolutely the same as SW200 . I like the Alpnach and think it's the highest grade of victorinox watch, but that level of fit and finish is just something normal for an Oris, I've tried that TT small seconds in store and it is fantastic, does not wear as big as a 47mm watch, and very very solid overall feel. The Oris will also hold its value better should you decide to sell it, Victorinoxes usually sell for quite less than their purchase price.
    Last edited by monza06; October 26th, 2013 at 04:54.

The Victorinox's also sell new for quite a bit less than their retail, which accounts for how much lower the resale value is compared to retail. To me the Alpnach is easily the better value between the two at gray market prices. It should be available for far less than the OP's budget; I got mine new with the strap plus the bracelet for a little over $500. That's not much more than the price of the movement alone, which is one of the better movements out there. Automatic chronographs aren't cheap, and the 7750 is the benchmark for chronos today. The SW200 on the other hand is just a copy of the ETA 2824. And it's remarkable that the case of the watch isn't just thrown together to house the nice movement, but instead is quite nice in its own right. If you can't find one significantly lower than $1000 I could see picking the Oris, but otherwise the Alpnach offers a lot more watch for the money.

I too would go for the Oris and not just because I'm an Oris Fan. I've not seen the Victorinox but I would imagine that as it is a steel watch containing the 7750 it will be fairly hefty. The Oris, on the other hand, as the name suggests is titanium and has the ETA 2836-2 movement in it so will be much lighter. I have a couple of titanium Oris watches (if you saw how I was built you would understand why I'm such a fan of Ti) and they are very comfortable to wear.

Both are good options, but I too think the Oris will be a bit higher in quality and certainly in resale value if that is of any importance to you.

Their dive watches are solid tanks built to run a long time.
    Last edited by Nokie; October 27th, 2013 at 00:55.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

If a chrono is not important, and you're looking at dive watches, take a look at the Victorinox Dive Master 500. Excellent fit and finish, awesome dial, and houses a 2892, a step up from the 2824 mentioned.

Besides, this thread needs pics

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedkabeel24 View Post
    Hello,
    I am looking for an automatic swiss watch in range of 1000-1500$, i prefer the 45mm+ case watches.
    I comparing between Victorinox alpnach mechanical 241528 and a couple of Oris Diver watches (e.g Oris Titan Divers Small Second Date Automatic Watch 643-7638-7454RS)
    The Chronograph is not really important, i am really interested in the best quality and better movement.
    Please help me to choose my first automatic watch and any other suggestion of course will be welcomed.
    Thanks
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1144
Size:  35.5 KBName:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 1153
Size:  28.1 KB

I would probably choose an Oris but if you're talking about the VSA alpnach black ice edition than my decision might be a little tougher. I'd probably still choose an Oris but I really like the alpnach black ice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information