Help with purchase - Looking for something different

Thread: Help with purchase - Looking for something different

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with purchase - Looking for something different

Hey Everyone - sorry if this is long, but I need some help here and I want to provide as much info as I can about my tastes so I can hopefully get some good suggestions from everyone.

I'm in the market for a new watch and am ready to buy something special.

A co-worker turned me on to the world of timepieces which I'm slowly becoming addicted to. I've been researching for almost 2 or 3 months now - all the while without any watch on my wrist (my son broke my Seiko of 5 years)! I think I'm just finally starting to understand what I like and don't like but need some more suggestions from the experts here.

First of all - I wear a suit to work every day and work in the hedge fund industry (as a software developer, unfortunately not the BIG money makers but I do OK). So with a suit, I guess I want something moderately dressy. No diver watches, etc.

In a paragraph, here's what I'm looking for:

I'm looking for an every day watch - something classy and traditional. I think I like chronographs. I've been looking at a lot of moonphase watches but don't think it's a requirement. I don't care about name brands - in fact, something that is unique that most people have NOT heard of is more attractive to me. I want something that people will notice and ask me about, that will be a conversation starter. I like the romantic notion of watches - I want something that a sea captain would've worn - or an old British train conductor. Something that tells a story, or has some kind of history to it. Something with some crazy ass complications but is not too difficult to read. I don't like a million numbers crowding up the display. I want a timepiece that looks like some serious craftsmenship went into it - even if it was mass produced in China. I also want something reliable that will last me years, if not a lifetime. I also like the open back, so when I take off my watch, I can stare into it and marvel at all the parts working together in harmony (hey, I'm a computer guy). I originally only wanted bracelet bands, but I think I could go either way now.

Unfortunately, most of the pieces I like most are waaay out of my range - like +$15-$20k and UP. I really like A. Lange and Soehne but forget that. My original limit was $1,000 but I think I'm willing to stretch it to ~$1,500 if it's something I love. It seems there are plenty of options in that range.

I was really floored when I learned about D.Freemont from this site. He seems to meet almost all my requirements - I'm really leaning towards the Barcelona or Acugraph, but after reading some negative posts about the straps and/or QC I'm hesitating. I just found out about Sinn although they seem a bit out of my range. Same goes for Longine. I found some Oris that I liked and even a bunch of more inexpensive ones like Jaques Lemans and Lucien Piccard.

Well, sorry for the long post. If you read this far it probably means you have some good suggestions of some other makers/brands for me. I don't know if it's allowed or not here, but if you suggest a brand, could you also tell me a good site or place to buy it -where maybe I could get a discounted price?

Thanks in advance!

~H
    Last edited by hominamad; March 26th, 2008 at 05:08.

Re: Help with purchase - Looking for something different

I did the review of the dfreemont barcelona. the negatives were only about the quality of the strap whis is a easy fix. the barcelona uses a valjoux 7751 movement timed in 5 positions, done by a master watchmaker. I still have the watch. a sinn can be had in your price range with complications as well as a temption and nivrel. also epos, oris.

Something different, Angular Momentum is a good place to start and I
    hear tell that the WUS watchshoppe might help.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Its quite easy to name a brand or two but how would you like a hand in designing your watch. Good quality and right within your price range there must be dozens of combinations... have a go! By the way, WUS has a direct link from within our online shop so no need worry about the recommendation. Buy with confidence.

http://www.121time.com/index.jsf?languageId=1
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

I've always liked Stowa.

Also, take a look at the Seiko some of the Seiko automatics.

Hamilton Makes some great watches as well. If you got a vintage Hamilton, it would have been made in the good old US of A.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to take a look at all sites and brands mentioned.

yamahaki - Aside from the strap, it sounds like you're still pretty happy with the piece. How's the weight of it? I want something that feels solid and substantial. I really love the D.Freemont designs in general. My family things I'm crazy though to spend over $1000 on a "no name" brand. Like I wrote in my original post - I don't care about name brands, but I do care about a brand with a good reputation. It seems like D.Freemont does have that. Does anyone have any experience with the Acugraph model?

Thanks again,
    ~H

You might also want to look at Glycine. Some of the Airman watches look "complicated" but they're pretty easy to read. They usually let you keep time in two or three timezones. Glycine also makes some chronographs that you might find near your upper limit.

And don't worry too much if a review states that a leather strap isn't very good - that's trivial to replace and there are all sorts of fantastic straps available. If the bracelet isn't good that's a different story. There are also aftermarket bracelets that can be found, but you are probably paying a premium to get the bracelet instead of a leather strap.

hominamad,

I recently bought my first nice watch after looking/researching for several months. I ended up with a Ball for a few reasons; 1) the history and story of the brand around the US railroad glory days; 2) the nighttime illumination is awesome; 3) it's an old brand, but also an up-and-coming brand (IMHO) 4) it's a well-made and well-backed brand.

Many, many styles, some with see-through back, and many in your target price. If you haven't looked at Ball already, give them a look before you decide. There's a Ball forum here on WUS, and the Ball USA and Ball Switzerland websites are linked at the top of the page.

Mitch

Edit: If you like the moonphase watches, check out the new Ball Trainmaster Moonlight Special and the Engineer Master II MoonPhase on ballwatch.com
    Last edited by waterbrook; March 27th, 2008 at 03:17. Reason: Additional info

I have a few watches ranging from an 18 carat gold Zenith to a 1970's Seiko with purple face which I inherited from my best friend's father. I'm in the same boat as you (even work for Investment manager, but in the UK) and I've just bought the watch shown in the link. I bought it for the style, quality of brand, image and for all the reasons it seems that you want a watch ! I also use a 1930's fountain pen every day and believe that having things like this in your life set certain standards in a throwaway society. I'm still only 40 (that's sooooo young !) but a watch can convey so much about you that a thousand words can't.

Good luck with the search and no - you can't have mine

Cheers

Jonny

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=136495

something really nice and substantial would be an Oris, like a tt1 in steel on bracelet. I don't suggest a dfreemont watch on bracelet if its the same bracelet that was sent with the barcelona. its made of tin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information