Help with removing links

Thread: Help with removing links

Help with removing links

So, i've tried several times to change links on a few of my watches without success. I am able to push the pin out around 75% of the way, but at this point I can't pull it out because it feels "stuck," and I can push it out any more because the tool only goes this far.

So I end up hammering it back in (gently ) and having to wait to go to an AD to do it for me.

What am I doing wrong? Should the tool be longer?

:thanks

Re: Help with removing links

Sound like you're just not pulling hard enough, or are trying to take it out the wrong way. I'm guessing these are the shoulder type pins you're removing, the shoulder is about the last 1/4 of the pin, so that's why you're finding it hard to pull any more, just grab some pliers and yank. I could be wrong here on the type you've got, but I doubt it. Wait for some other responses and see if others concur.

Thanks,
    Any other ideas or people who can help me?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I recently went through the arduous task of resizing my new BFK bracelet.

Seiko usually uses either the pin and collar system or split pins. I had an issue figuring out how to put the collars back in (because I was trying to make it fit on the wrong part of the link) and did some searches in the Seiko forum for "pin and collar" and "resize bracelet" and there was an archived thread about resizing the Monster bracelet, which uses the pin and collar system. That helped me get back on track.

I'm not sure what Seiko uses on the SD bracelets, but whatever you end up doing, be careful, it can get tricky and extremely frustrating.

Banned

I would have to say that you are probably pushing the wrong way. Try pushing the pin out the opposite way than you did and hopefully it will work for you.

By the way where is that thread on the sieko monster bracelet, I tried to resize one of mine and had a hell of a time. I ended up having to take it into my local jewler for some help.

Quote Originally Posted by mpartridgeferrari View Post
    I would have to say that you are probably pushing the wrong way. Try pushing the pin out the opposite way than you did and hopefully it will work for you.

By the way where is that thread on the sieko monster bracelet, I tried to resize one of mine and had a hell of a time. I ended up having to take it into my local jewler for some help.
    The bracelet of the monster I believe actually uses springbars, rather than the standard shoulder split pins or collared system. I'm not absolute there, but pretty sure I read that somewhere on the Seiko forum before.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond 'The Box' View Post
    The bracelet of the monster I believe actually uses springbars, rather than the standard shoulder split pins or collared system. I'm not absolute there, but pretty sure I read that somewhere on the Seiko forum before.
    The monster uses the fiddly collared system, it took me over an hour to adjust mine but they all fit nice and snug now

Quote Originally Posted by gg4411 View Post

What am I doing wrong? Should the tool be longer?
    I had the same problem b4 so i went out to get longer pin pushers. They are 16mm long. Not sure if there are longer ones.

I've used a link pin pusher tool to slot the pins out, then used a needlenose pliers to pull them out very carefully. This was on my Zenith bracelet, where pushing the pins out slightly required the most force, and pulling them out afterwards not so much force at all (but more than could be gained using fingers...). If it feels too stiff to pull out with pliers, you probably don't want to push it, as you might bend or gouge the pins.

Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg View Post
    I've used a link pin pusher tool to slot the pins out, then used a needlenose pliers to pull them out very carefully. This was on my Zenith bracelet, where pushing the pins out slightly required the most force, and pulling them out afterwards not so much force at all (but more than could be gained using fingers...). If it feels too stiff to pull out with pliers, you probably don't want to push it, as you might bend or gouge the pins.

I had this same problem and went to my jewler $20 later I had a sized bracelet with no gouges or scratches.

Thread Information