Help!? Replaced battery in Swiss Army Officer's 1884, and a part fell out.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe Horner
  • 1 Post By KPrime

Thread: Help!? Replaced battery in Swiss Army Officer's 1884, and a part fell out.

Confused Help!? Replaced battery in Swiss Army Officer's 1884, and a part fell out.

This is the watch in question: Victorinox Swiss Army Officer's Watch 1884

Name:  PAAAAAJEBCNDCODK.jpg
Views: 2305
Size:  15.4 KB

I have replaced the battery in this watch a couple times before, but this time when I opened the case a part fell out.

Name:  Watch_anno.jpg
Views: 3079
Size:  163.7 KB

I attempted to figure out where it goes back, but haven't had any luck. My best guess was on the marked "Post A" in the picture, but it won't stay there.

Maybe another piece is missing, but I didn't see fall out or find it afterward?

I tried putting it back together with a new battery and just leaving the part out, but it only works intermittently. Apparently they don't just put in extra pieces for show.

I am fairly mechanically inclined, but haven't had much opportunity to work on watches, short of battery changes.

Does anyone else happen to have this watch that would't mind opening it to help me out? Or, is there anyone who can just look at it and see what and where the piece goes?

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by KPrime; November 29th, 2011 at 10:58.

Re: Help!? Replaced battery in Swiss Army Officer's 1884, and a part fell out.

I'm guessing "post A" is the screw that fastens the battery clamp but the head has snapped off.

Yes it looks like a battery retainer clip.
    Lots of dive watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is a battery clamp but has no business being in that movement in the first place. The movement should take an SR721SW (or 362) battery, which is retained by the long sprung clip at the top of the battery bay in your photo. The 397 (SR726SW) that's come out is too high to fit under that clip so someone will have wedged it with the clip you've found to stop it popping out of place on a previous battery change.

Replace with the correct size battery for the movement and get rid of the bodge ;)
    MarioTito likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horner View Post
    It is a battery clamp but has no business being in that movement in the first place. The movement should take an SR721SW (or 362) battery, which is retained by the long sprung clip at the top of the battery bay in your photo. The 397 (SR726SW) that's come out is too high to fit under that clip so someone will have wedged it with the clip you've found to stop it popping out of place on a previous battery change.

Replace with the correct size battery for the movement and get rid of the bodge ;)

Joe, I was finally able to pick up the 362 battery, and it does fit much better! When we got the watch it had the 397 in it, so I just assumed it was correct.
    So far it seem to be working perfectly. Thank you for your help!
    MarioTito likes this.

Thread Information