Help a Rookie: What Makes a Good Watch Good?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help a Rookie: What Makes a Good Watch Good?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help a Rookie: What Makes a Good Watch Good?

My watch collecting hobby is in its infancy, at best. I need your sage advice to help me mature. I have read several of these threads and there proponents and opponents for every brand of watch for multiple reasons. Tell me what you look for when you consider buying a watch outside of looks and brand - subtle preferences. In your opinion how is one watch empirically "better" than another? I refuse to subscribe to the notion that a brand name guarantees the quality of the product because I know that "high end" watches can have their shortcomings - although I have yet to plunk down the cash for that sweet, sweet Milgauss and find out for myself. I know it's a broad topic, but I'm interested in your thoughts.

lvt

Re: Help a Rookie: What Makes a Good Watch Good?

Quote Originally Posted by bigo_do5000 View Post
    What Makes a Good Watch Good ?

Tough question, but generally people buy expensive watches by brand and look but they buy cheap watches for functionalities, so it's hard to say that an expensive watch is better than a cheap watch because they are all good in theirs respective purposes of use.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by bigo_do5000 View Post
    My watch collecting hobby is in its infancy, at best. I need your sage advice to help me mature. I have read several of these threads and there proponents and opponents for every brand of watch for multiple reasons. Tell me what you look for when you consider buying a watch outside of looks and brand - subtle preferences. In your opinion how is one watch empirically "better" than another? I refuse to subscribe to the notion that a brand name guarantees the quality of the product because I know that "high end" watches can have their shortcomings - although I have yet to plunk down the cash for that sweet, sweet Milgauss and find out for myself. I know it's a broad topic, but I'm interested in your thoughts.

First off, bigo, welcome to the forums. You know diamonds, right? Crystaline, and tough, and coveted. Consider your watch experience a refining process. Pare away those that you don't like, and enjoy the ones that make your imagination sparkle. There will be things you see that you gravitate toward, and some you aren't particularly interested in. Personally, I could care less about cost or prestige of name, or reputation. If it tells me accurate time, and appeals to me, I'll wear it to the grave. The key part of that is 'appeal to me', and that's how you should probably go about your interest. In the vast world of opinion, the only one that really ends up to matter is your very own. Let that guide you, and have fun!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Goodness makes stuff good.

Banned

The better watches tend to have better movements. This will give you a more reliable watch. Then you have the image factor. Not only do the more expensive watches tend to work better and longer, but they have the wow factor of cost and admiration of others.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

What Makes a Good Watch Good?

In an nutshell ? A good watchmaker/watch manufacture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HV0CMZb310
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkHorseOne View Post
    First off, bigo, welcome to the forums. You know diamonds, right? Crystaline, and tough, and coveted. Consider your watch experience a refining process. Pare away those that you don't like, and enjoy the ones that make your imagination sparkle. There will be things you see that you gravitate toward, and some you aren't particularly interested in. Personally, I could care less about cost or prestige of name, or reputation. If it tells me accurate time, and appeals to me, I'll wear it to the grave. The key part of that is 'appeal to me', and that's how you should probably go about your interest. In the vast world of opinion, the only one that really ends up to matter is your very own. Let that guide you, and have fun!

I agree ...well said! Most of it is appeal to the eye....other half is the brand's reputation for quality and innovation over time.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan1124 View Post
    I agree ...well said! Most of it is appeal to the eye....other half is the brand's reputation for quality and innovation over time.
    Visual appeal is what started my collecting in the first place. I own a few Invictas that I think look fabulous. When it comes to appearance, I have a diver that looks every bit as flashy and impressive as some of the Omegas etc. (albeit I don't have a trained eye yet) and it keeps good time with a Miyota automatic. I see a lot of criticism sent their way, but I haven't had the same experience - maybe just lucky?. What am I missing about my Reserve Invicta Subaqua Specialty that is "Swiss made" that makes it inferior? I think the rose gold looks great. Don't they have to meet the same standards to display that stamp on the dial? Or are they the Swiss equivalent of the Pinto? I guess I'm trying to improve my collecting by adding some objective components to my decision making process since aesthetics will always be considered first.

Assuming I am happy with the look and brand, if I could choose between two watches that looked nearly identical, I personnally would choose...
    ...mechanical over quartz.
    ..."in-house" movement over "off-the-shelf" movement.
    ...among the most common "off-the-shelf" mechanical movements, ETA over Sellita over Seiko over Miyota (Yes, I know ETA is not materially better than Sellita, but it is classier since they are not copies).
    ...rare over common.
    ...more accurate over less accurate.
    ...solid gold over fake or plated gold. (I only have gold on one of my watches, and that's just the bezel, but it is solid 18k. I find gold plating too tacky.)
    ...new to my collection over something I already have. (Although this doesn't really make the watch "better," because it depends on my collection and not on the watch.)
    ...sapphire crystal over mineral crystal.
    ...316L stainless steel over cheaper steel.
    ...good fit and finish over poor. (In other words, better quality.)
    ...if on a bracelet, solid links and end links over folded links.
    ...if on a strap, genuine alligator/croc/ostrich/etc. over calf leather embossed to look like alligator/croc/ostrich/etc. (Nothing wrong with calf leather that is only trying to be leather.)
    ...entirely Swiss, German, or Japan made over made in China (even if the movement is Swiss).
    ...longer power reserve over shorter.
    ...thinner movement over thicker.
    ...hand assembled over machine assembled.
    ...decorated movement over non-decorated (whether or not there is a display back).

I tried to limit that list to factors that don't affect the look of the watch, but can have a small or large effect on my personal respect for that watch. A good watch certainly does not have to have all of these things.
    flyingpicasso and Maxvla like this.

Its very hard to answer your question in a simple (this is a good watch). I will say watches with history behind them and reputation is usually earned. The fit and finish of a watch is the first thing I look at to set it apart to be a good watch. Materials and movements are very important. Your Invicta may appear to fit that bill until you take a closer look and compare it to other watches.Plating of a watch unless its a DLC coating is usually frowned upon and is usually done with fashion watches trying to make a bystander think its something that its not.
    Perrelet Seacraft Chrono
    Oris Aquis Chrono
    Perrelet Seacraft GM
    Edox ERC Chronorally
    Seiko Monster
    Sumo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information