Help. What happened to my kinetic

Thread: Help. What happened to my kinetic

Help. What happened to my kinetic

Yesterday morning I adjusted the time on my kinetic watch, Seiko cal. 5M63, from 8 to 9 (I am also assuming it was 8 am to my watch (for date purposes)). It was running just fine prior to the time adjustment, after the time adjustment it just stopped. I removed the stem and put it back in, hoping that the mechanism that causes the second hand from moving did not reengage; still frozen. I have since learned that you should not adjust the time between 9pm and 3 am because of the day / date function, but going from 8 to 9 it should have been ok. The battery (capacitor) is also relatively new; about 8 months. It was also well charged. What happened???? Is there a simple fix?

Thanks.

Re: Help. What happened to my kinetic

What exactly did you do when setting the time.
    How did you remove the stem? By just pulling?

Does the owners manual for your watch say you should not set the time between 9:00pm and 3:00am? I am asking because most watch makers ask that the date not be set then.

Thanks for replying. To reset the time, I unscrewed the crown and pulled out two clicks and simply advanced it one hour. When removing the stem, I opened the caseback, depressed the stem locking lever and pulled out. Yes the manual stated that the time not be adjusted between 9pm and 3am. The date and day were not adjusted in the initial reset. I have since adjusted everything with no luck restarting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You might have to take it in and have it looked by an expert if you cannot find a solution.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Anyone else.... Please

Silly question but I'll ask it anyway - is your rotor spinning ok? Can you check the PR?

Changing the date between 9PM and 3AM won't kill your watch, just mess up the date change mechanism a bit. Just enough to irritate you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The rotor spins fine. What is the PR? What kills me is that it was working just fine until I changed the time - a VERY basic procedure, then dies. Thanks.

Inactive

Unfortunately to have it repaired will probably cost more than the watch is worth. See if you can find one cheap online, swap movements or try to repair it yourself.

That is what I am afraid of. I had thought of those options. I figure that I have nothing to lose by trying to repair it myself, but I need to find out what went wrong to even know where to begin. I am also a total noob at watch repair. I heard that movements are relatively cheap, any idea where I can find replacement movements? It is a Seiko 5m63. thx

Thread Information