Helson Shark Diver - WISH LIST
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry H

Thread: Helson Shark Diver - WISH LIST

Helson Shark Diver - WISH LIST

Helson has recently released a 45mm Brass variant of the Shark Diver at $399.

Helson

This is a cool watch but also a large watch. I would like to try and create some interest from all of us to submit to Helson for a unique WUS model using some of these variables.

*Seiko movement (low cost, reliable)

*No date dial

*Milled and lumed aluminum bezel (like the v1 models)

*SS model (stainless steel)

*40mm, 42mm and 45mm models

*$399 price point (choose your bracelet - SS or isofrane, not both)

*black, white, blue variants

Fire off your opinions and alternatives and I will submit them to Helson for reference. It would be awesome to have this amazing company build a WUS model.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Dec1968; August 1st, 2014 at 18:27. Reason: added description

Re: Helson Shark Diver - WISH LIST

A thought of mine would also be a unique dial for only WUS forum members as an optional item ($50 upcharge) that has WUS on the dial and a number on it (1 of 300, perhaps).

Makes it a limited edition.

Thoughts?

The following are just my own thoughts & preferences; no offence is intended towards either makers nor owners of said.

*Seiko movement (low cost, reliable) – No problem with that.

*No date dial – Agree. I would have one of the below by now were it not for the ‘wonky’ date window.

*Milled and lumed aluminum bezel (like the v1 models) – I prefer the sapphire bezel, it lifts it to a (dare I say ?) classier level. Appreciate this will increase the price point, but worth it for me.

*SS model – Assuming you mean stainless steel ?... Sure.

*40mm, 42mm and 45mm models – 42mm works for me. I’d like a 45mm, but the height jumps from 14.5mm (42mm models) to 18mm (45mm models) in the current offerings. 15mm is about as ‘thick’ as I want on my wrist.

*$399 price point (choose your bracelet - SS or isofrane, not both) – If they can/will do what I’m suggesting here for that price, I’ll have one of each colour

*black, white, blue variants – A dark blue would do it for me.

“…unique dial…” – Absolutely. Do away with the ‘AUTOMATIC’ & ‘500M’ and replace with WUS logo. Going 'off on one' - Could the logo be incorporated into (or replace) the dot on the seconds hand ?

No limited edition number on the dial for me, thanks. On the case back, certainly.

My ideas are based on this:
    Picture blagged from 'jcbarnard' from thread https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/helson-shark-diver-40-v2-pictures-1001604-8.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste .

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

^good stuff^

The only reason I said to have the numbering on the dial is tooling costs for the case back versus the dial. But whatever they decide is fine with me.

I prefer the milled aluminum bezel - so let's an option for whoever one you like and make everyone happy :)

Thanks for your input.

Won't happen I don't think.

Helson is known for its "poorish" customer service especially since the Main owner and head of the brand (Peter Helson?) has retired through sickness in the last few months. There is also no stock of its Shark Diver 40mm and 42mm models currently available.

I hope you get your wish, I just can't see Helson going along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    Won't happen I don't think.

Helson is known for its "poorish" customer service especially since the Main owner and head of the brand (Peter Helson?) has retired through sickness in the last few months. There is also no stock of its Shark Diver 40mm and 42mm models currently available.

I hope you get your wish, I just can't see Helson going along with it.
    Well, thanks for the vote of confidence.....as I stayed, this his a wish list. If you support it, please add your positive input. If not, please ignore the thread. It's not here to bash Helson.

I've had nothing but great service from them after Peter got sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dec1968 View Post
    ... I've had nothing but great service from them after Peter got sick.
    Same here. And sorry to hear that PH has retired. Didn't know that. I wish him well.

As for the Shark Diver, the 40mm is just about perfect - if only it didn't have those HUGE crown guards. I've so often been tempted to get one and have the crown guards ground off! (I realise that I'm in a minority).
    Dec1968 likes this.

I actually filed the crown itself - the edges were ever so sharp and a subtle 45° filing made it tremendously more comfortable. Free-handed that with my Dremel. I also considered softening the edges on the lugs at the top with a subtle taper and the crown guards but decided against it. I didn't have the proper tools to tackle that. I would have had I had them at my disposal.

Looks like Helson isn't interested at this price point. I did ask why and how they were able to have a lower price point on the one model at $399.

Here's what I got from Marc at Helson just now:

Hello David,
    I am sorry but that cannot work at this price point.
    we have already more stainless steel with Miyota 9015 in production for the 40mm and 42mm models.
    Regards Marc

Thread Information