Hi From Australia Croton ???
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hi From Australia Croton ???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hi From Australia Croton ???

Hi

I am from Sydney. I am in the position of needing a new watch but also not being able to afford something very expensive. My first call was retail stores but they were very expensive.

Anyway, I went to ebay and found Croton watches. I have never heard of these in Australia.

Are these watches any good ? I mean I have googled them but cant really find info on their quality. I searched this site and somebody said they were Chinese movements or something Japanese.

You see in Australia, $50 doesnt buy much of a watch, and not a brand name, maybe a Casio if you are lucky. So when I saw these Croton watches which look impressive and have a good warranty I thought they might be OK for a person on a very tight budget.

Thanks for reading,
    Last edited by OnTimeGabe; December 2nd, 2010 at 16:42. Reason: Removed commercial link

Re: Hi From Australia Croton ???

Hey mate

I'm in Sydney too

I've never owned a Croton but did a quick search - they seem like another mushroom brand. I wouldn't recommend it.

There's a lot to be learned about watches, and while $50 isn't the highest budget, after a bit of research you may find a casio or a seiko would be your best bet.

If I was in your position, I'd save up just a little bit more. Maybe $200 to $300 bucks. Not a lot of money, but it will get you a Seiko 5. Seiko 5's are automatic and the movement is well and truly proven. It's not the most artistic but IT WORKS. Seiko 5's can be had at most generic jewelers like that Angus and something or the other, or Prunes or whatever. Be sure to shop around, but under no circumstance should it cost you over $350. And, when you walk in, look the salesperson dead in the eye and ask "what discount can you offer me on this". More times than not they will give you a discount.

If you'd really like to stick to $50 only, try a Vinnies store and look for an old seiko or get try get something at myer.

Gluck mate

I don't know about Australian pricing, but I second the Seiko 5 suggestion. Here in the US a quick google search shows you can get any number of Seiko 5 models for between $65 and $85 USD. Timex also offers lots of watches - including dress, military/field, sport, and digital - starting at around $25 USD.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vesp View Post
    Hi

I am from Sydney. I am in the position of needing a new watch but also not being able to afford something very expensive. My first call was retail stores but they were very expensive.

Anyway, I went to ebay and found this site: www.timezone123.com and they had watches there for about $50 which were much better I thought than the stores. These are Croton watches. I have never heard of these in Australia.

Are these watches any good ? I mean I have googled them but cant really find info on their quality. I searched this site and somebody said they were Chinese movements or something Japanese.

You see in Australia, $50 doesnt buy much of a watch, and not a brand name, maybe a Casio if you are lucky. So when I saw these Croton watches which look impressive and have a good warranty I thought they might be OK for a person on a very tight budget.

Thanks for reading,
    Go for CASIO if you can grab one. Should be better than any Croton. Just my 2 cents.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thanks for the replies.

Obviously looks are not what they seem, I thought these Crotons looked OK but I bow to you better judgement.

I have to admit that I thought the Croton might look more impressive but whats he point if its crap.

Anyway on the same site I found a Wenger for $79 would that be a decent brand ??

Thanks guys.

Wenger is a decent brand. But perhaps rather than just picking watch companies off a sales site, you should start by telling us how much you're willing to pay and what kind of watch you want (digital, analog, quartz, mechanical, dress, divers, military, etc.). There are lots of affordable watches on the market, but it's hard to give suggestions without more info. Generally speaking, I like Casio, Seiko, and Citizen for affordable watches, but there are other good brands as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vesp View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Obviously looks are not what they seem, I thought these Crotons looked OK but I bow to you better judgement.

I have to admit that I thought the Croton might look more impressive but whats he point if its crap.

Anyway on the same site I found a Wenger for $79 would that be a decent brand ??

Thanks guys.
    Regards,

Gabe

You might check out the forum Affordable Watches here on WUS. The main advantage is that there are members there that track good deals on watches, so you might get a watch that normally might be out of your price range. Otherwise, I like the Seiko 5 suggestion--very nice product line for the price. A watch called a Seiko Monster is a popular dive model. You can search for Seiko Monster on eBay and see them. There are a couple different variations so find one you like and copy down the model number then do a Google search for places where you can buy it.

If you don't mind a quartz watch, it is hard to beat a Citizen Eco-Drive. You can also find Casio G-Force Solar Atomic watches that are pretty nice but more limited in style.

-T
    Boatme98 likes this.
    So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

OK, I will be the first on this thread to defend Croton. For the money, Crotons are very nice rugged watches. I own at least a dozen of them, some quartz and some automatics. They keep very good time, they are tough, they have a lifetime warranty on the movement, and there are many styles to choose from. I have never had a problem with any of mine. I am never afraid to recommend a Croton. Give one a try. You won't be disappointed.
    cottontop
    "What's time to a hog?" Junior Samples

Quote Originally Posted by OnTimeGabe View Post
    Wenger is a decent brand. But perhaps rather than just picking watch companies off a sales site, you should start by telling us how much you're willing to pay and what kind of watch you want (digital, analog, quartz, mechanical, dress, divers, military, etc.). There are lots of affordable watches on the market, but it's hard to give suggestions without more info. Generally speaking, I like Casio, Seiko, and Citizen for affordable watches, but there are other good brands as well.
    Thanks Gabe.

OK if I can be clearer, I need a new watch, analogue. I like stainless steel no rubber, a divers type style or at least chunky with 3/4-1inch band.

I dont have much at all to spend, $100-$120 aboslute stretch. My old Woolworths watch died but it lasted 5 years and was 100 metre WR with a very nice blue face but it was like $35 in Australia, a no name brand.

Yes, my tastes may be well above my financial capabilities, thats kind of why I went to the Croton which to me looked much more expensive than the price.

In Australia, Sieko & Citizen are definately off the menu as they are seriously expensive and I have seen Casios but dont like the ones without a dial (crown ??). They are up there in price as well.

A Pulsar might be possible but I havent seen that many on Ebay. Maybe I need to widen the search ??? Also to send a watch all the way downunder is expensive as well so I need to factor that in.

Cheers

Woolworths? That used to be a department store chain here in the U.S. but it disappeared many years ago. It's interesting to hear the name is still around, even if it's in another country.

I'll put in a plug for the Orient Mako -- diver style, in-house automatic movement, 200 meter WR, stainless steel case and bracelet with solid links (but hollow end links), 40mm dial, and a 22mm bracelet. They list for $190 USD, but Orient Watch USA has a 50% off coupon code for WUS members, making the base cost $95. I don't know what sort of shipping fees and taxes you would pay to get one into Australia; perhaps there is someone else in-country who could comment on that?

Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information