Hi! First post, and seeking first mechanical watch!

Thread: Hi! First post, and seeking first mechanical watch!

Hi! First post, and seeking first mechanical watch!

Very excited to see mechanical watch enthusiasts here and on several other forums. Hello to all!

I've been busy "thinking through" my first mechanical watch purchase. I must say, the amount of choice is (nothing short of) amazing once you look past Swiss Army at the local jeweler's shops. That's what brought me here, by the way, looking for Swiss Army Ambassador or Alliance information.

In any case, I am now looking for either a Swiss manufacturer, or, a reputable German manufacturer that uses Swiss movements. My budget is $500, and I would like my first watch (which will be my only real watch for some time) to be new, not used.

My criteria are: either automatic or wind, but well-respected quality movement with some sort of date, sapphire crystal, waterproof enough to wash hands, "classic" style (i.e. not a boat anchor), and I must add that I am somewhat flexible in the looks/complications department.

Here are the brands I've been thinking about:

Stowa (several possibilites)
    Archimede (Pilot or Arcadia)
    Titoni

and perhaps

Zeno-Watch Basel
    Swiss Army (hah! so what if they are too "popular" in the US, right? )

...and a few others, but, the list gets unmanageable very quickly! I like the fact that Archimede sells direct, for example. I am somewhat unsure of where to buy Titoni "safely."

Any and all advice from you will be appreciated. Thanks!

Tax issues!

Speaking of ordering online from Stowa or Archimede...

Stowa mentions on their web site a theoretical way to avoid paying the German ~13% VAT. I believe this would make sense for me, since I am in the US. Does anyone from the US have any details about this procedure? Personally, I think it would be both fair and legitimate for a US order to skip the VAT, and I am willing to do the paperwork that this would require, as long as I have all the right information... of course, all the while recognizing that the difficulties could possibly be not worth the money saved.

I am sure others would benefit from knowing this as well.

Re: Hi! First post, and seeking first mechanical watch!

Welcome mate :)

If your after a superb Bang for your buck brand.. check out ollech and Wajs watches, they are swiss made using swiss guts. Strong history and good build quality... check out www.gnomonwatches.com is a WUS sponsor :)

Ive owned a archimede pilot 42mm watch and for the money its a great watch, strong case, see-through back, classic style. (wish i didn't sell it)

And also Hamilton is another brand to look at, they sell watches under the 500 mark with swiss movements in them.. they are owned by the swatch group (Omega, Tissot etc)

And also if you want to raise the bar just a tad.. look at Stowa and Sinn watches both excellent german made watches with swiss movements in them. :)

hope that helps
    Currently own:
    ORIS BC4 DLC Chronograph Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Seiko SKX007
    Marathon Automatic SAR-D

Next on list:
    Stowa Marine Original
    Damasko DA36

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Net Dweller View Post
    Very excited to see mechanical watch enthusiasts here and on several other forums. Hello to all!

I've been busy "thinking through" my first mechanical watch purchase. I must say, the amount of choice is (nothing short of) amazing once you look past Swiss Army at the local jeweler's shops. That's what brought me here, by the way, looking for Swiss Army Ambassador or Alliance information.

In any case, I am now looking for either a Swiss manufacturer, or, a reputable German manufacturer that uses Swiss movements. My budget is $500, and I would like my first watch (which will be my only real watch for some time) to be new, not used.

My criteria are: either automatic or wind, but well-respected quality movement with some sort of date, sapphire crystal, waterproof enough to wash hands, "classic" style (i.e. not a boat anchor), and I must add that I am somewhat flexible in the looks/complications department.

Here are the brands I've been thinking about:

Stowa (several possibilites)
    Archimede (Pilot or Arcadia)
    Titoni

and perhaps

Zeno-Watch Basel
    Swiss Army (hah! so what if they are too "popular" in the US, right? )

...and a few others, but, the list gets unmanageable very quickly! I like the fact that Archimede sells direct, for example. I am somewhat unsure of where to buy Titoni "safely."

Any and all advice from you will be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to Watchuseek,

Stowa would be a great choice. Regarding taxes you may read the Stowa thread "V.A.T. is a killer" here

Thank you, I read that post. Stowa is looking better and better to me. Of course there is also Archimede... and I just can't get "eliminate" Zeno watches... At this rate, I'll never decide...

stuffler,mike

Thank you, I read that post. Stowa is looking better and better to me. Of course there is also Archimede... and I just can't get "eliminate" Zeno watches... At this rate, I'll never decide...
    Well if the question is Zeno vs. Stowa I`d always pull the trigger on a Stowa. Comparing Stowa and Zeno Zeno is a "mass-product", Stowa isn't. I think the "little" Stowa brand has a philosophy, Zeno hasn't.

Thank you Mike and everyone else who has discussed Stowa watches here.

I was looking at images of Stowa watches both here and on their web site and I wanted to confirm that the hands on the Marine Automatic and on other Stowa watches are black metal and have no actual blue colour tint in them, is that correct? I certainly understand what the term "blued" means, but my question is because of how the hands on some Stowa models appear on my computer screen.

stuffler,mike

Thank you Mike and everyone else who has discussed Stowa watches here.

I was looking at images of Stowa watches both here and on their web site and I wanted to confirm that the hands on the Marine Automatic and on other Stowa watches are black metal and have no actual blue colour tint in them, is that correct? I certainly understand what the term "blued" means, but my question is because of how the hands on some Stowa models appear on my computer screen.
    They are blued, aren´t they ?

Last edited by stuffler,mike; April 26th, 2007 at 21:08.

Ooops... I just posted a thread on the Stowa forum! Well, I hope it's OK :)

Regarding the blue material: how blue does it actually look in daylight when you are looking straight down at the watch? I think I would find it distracting to see bits of color in an otherwise black and white design, but I could be wrong. I don't think this is anything that can be helped with more photographs, I would just need to see it for myself, if that were possible...

Thread Information