HI, I'm new here!
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: HI, I'm new here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

HI, I'm new here!

I have been visiting these forums as a guest for weeks while doing research to find the right watch for me. After how beneficial and informative I found the contents of this webpage, I was able to select a timepiece to suit my needs quite confidently. So before I introduce myself I'd like to thank all the posters and administrators for their consideration and hard work in creating this community.

I live in Missouri where I've created a small homestead. Before two years ago I'd never built anything, grown anything, or slaughtered anything. I now live in a house I built with my own hands, am the proud cultivator of over half an acre of organic gardens and am raising rabbits and chickens to supply myself and my community with meat and eggs. This being said means I live quite a rugged lifestyle and need a rugged watch.

Without doing any research at all I picked up a Casio Pathfinder at a general store a few years ago. It was cheap, has served me well and has a cool sunset/sunrise function that my lifestyle appreciates. But every time I look at my wrist I see a lack of thought and uniqueness that the rest of my life is full of. I couldn't stand it anymore. I was recently accepted into a Police Science Academy where I will do over 700 hours of training to become a Peace Officer. A reliable watch is among the required equipment for my coursework. My Casio might have to sit this one out, though.

Without much money to spend and looking for something creative and out of the ordinary I stumbled upon a thread contained in this forum about Vostok watches. I own a few pieces of Russian military tech that has helped grow my appreciation for the extraordinary durability and reliability of Russian built mechanical objects. They also come at a relatively low cost. So after quite alot of wind(apologies for the soliloquy) I'm happy to say I've ordered my first Russian timepiece from Zenitar on the Bay; A Vostok Komandirskie with 17 jewel 2414a movement. I'm constantly tracking it online and await its arrival like a tot yearns for Christmas morning.

I'm aware that this is a cheap, entry level watch that may not take TOO much of a beating, but at that price point, is there a more durable mechanical watch out there? I really can't stand to look at a digital watch anymore. The Seiko 5 looked good but didn't seem like it could possibly be as stout as this Russian beast.

Thanks again all, sincerest regards,

Bucyrus
    Last edited by bucvrus; July 6th, 2014 at 19:17.
    dbostedo and Athram like this.

Re: HI, I'm new here!

Welcome to WUS and I'm sure you'll really enjoy the new Vostok! Pictures on these hear parts are mandatory, so I'm guessing since you said you ordered, you don't yet have. But once you do, we'll be looking to see some! Yes we will!
    bucvrus likes this.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Welcome to the jungle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    bucvrus likes this.
    WIS and Founder of MANCHESTERWATCHWORKS (email: [email protected])

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Seiko, Cartier Moderator Athram's Avatar

Welcome to the forum. I have also been inflicted by the need to refresh the tracking information every 30 seconds hoping that the watch will arrive sooner!

Be sure to upload some photos for us when it arrives.
    bucvrus likes this.

Welcome to the Forum!
    bucvrus likes this.

Welcome to WUS from a fellow noob, enjoy your new purchase.
    When you buy a watch, buy what you like and buy it for yourself, because nobody around you will care about or even notice what you wear.Quoted from WUS member

Dammit you might be new but you're already a very effective disease-spreader! I know what I'm going to be obsessively looking at after the kids are in bed shortly...

excellent first post, hats off
    bucvrus likes this.

Weather here is hit and miss today and I've nothing better to do than scroll through all the cool watches. Even though I've already made my purchase and certainly won't buy another for a little while, "WHY CAN'T I STOP GAWKING AT DEH WATCHEZ!!"

This thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/kom...em-791366.html Has been running my life since lunch.....

Welcome; we're glad to have you!

mike.
    "Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Breitling|Tag Heuer|Omega|Rolex|Ulysse Nardin

Quote Originally Posted by bucvrus View Post
    Weather here is hit and miss today and I've nothing better to do than scroll through all the cool watches. Even though I've already made my purchase and certainly won't buy another for a little while, "WHY CAN'T I STOP GAWKING AT DEH WATCHEZ!!"

This thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/kom...em-791366.html Has been running my life since lunch.....
    Because our new friend........You, BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH have been infected with the WIS virus. There's no turning back, so welcome to the asylum. Just be prepared. It's an expensive illness. Yes it is!
    bucvrus likes this.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information