High impact arm movements on quartz watches
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Little Squid
  • 1 Post By John MS
  • 1 Post By Scottish Steve
  • 1 Post By Scottish Steve

Thread: High impact arm movements on quartz watches

High impact arm movements on quartz watches

I have a lot of extracurricular activities, including boxing, karate, jujutsu, aikido and so on. I often study for 10 hours straight for law school, with periodic breaks on the punching bag or so on. Obviously, you wouldn't want to wear a watch in an actual fight (if it could be avoided) or particularly in grappling, but sometimes I just want to jump up and do forms or work the bag. I can easily throw my 80 lb bag back with a simple left jab, so I know the energy being put through there is pretty intense. I actually imagine the bagwork will be easier on the watches since it doesn't have the sudden stop of makiwara practice or shadow boxing.

Sometimes I forget to take my watches off--thank God I've never forgot to take a mechanical off--before taking a practice break. But I've wondered if even an ordinary quartz could handle the impact. I bought my g-shock so I could wear a stopwatch that didn't get in the way when I'm teaching class without worrying about breaking it (more because it's so cheap than because I think it can handle it--so far, no problems).

What say you, high impact sports people. Is this a recipe for disaster? Or is it acceptable to wear my quartz watches for bag/no bag punching drills.

The g-shock will get worn at any rate, since that's why I own it--I suppose I ask this question because I have my first "nice" quartz watch, my Citizen Grand Complication, and I'm worried about breaking it by forgetting to take it off.

Re: High impact arm movements on quartz watches

I never wear any watches playing hockey, with some exceptions. I have worn my heart-rate monitor for some rec games just to see.
    CitizenM likes this.

I am sure the arm movement and impact won't harm a digital quartz and I'm about 80% sure it won't harm an analog quartz. That said, if you slam the watch into the wall, catch it on a bag or an opponent during those workouts all bets are off for the watch, your wrist and your opponent. Unless you need it for timing I would strongly suggest that you take it off. And best of luck with law schol.
    Last edited by John MS; December 15th, 2011 at 03:07.
    CitizenM likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I'd be astonished if your G even noticed. The're not known as the toughest watches in the world for nothing. Have you checked out the videos on their website or some of the other crazy things enthusiasts have done to them? Silly stuff. One of myy friends used to hang around with some skaterboys, who used to do everything they could to break a G. it was like a point of pride- but as far as I'm aware, sharp objects at the glass were forbidden. They were jumping on them from 5 ft ledges. throwing them at walls as hard as they could etc. They were scratched and beat-up, but still working.
    As to the Citizen, why risk it?
    CitizenM likes this.

Alright, when I get back to my real studio, I'll see what I can do with the g-shock.

As per the Citizen, I wouldn't intentionally do anything with it, but I tend not to think about what I'm wearing when I get sick of studying and just get up and start practicing. But I've been mostly good with it so far. Bracelet-based watches aren't that great for this stuff anyway, since the g-forces get it to either hit your wrist or go the other way and get stuck on your forearm.

Banned

I did once bang a door so hard that the bracelet of my watch fell off and it crashed on the ground. Spring-pin wasn't up to much from what I can remember and it was only an Accurist, bought before my forum days. Actually, there weren't any forums at that time- it was 1993!
    CitizenM likes this.

Thread Information