Higher End Mechanical Movement Eta 7001 or Eta 2804?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lysanderxiii

Thread: Higher End Mechanical Movement Eta 7001 or Eta 2804?

Higher End Mechanical Movement Eta 7001 or Eta 2804?

I am looking at the same timepiece with two different movement options. Either the Eta 7001 or the Eta 2804.

I do know both are 17 jewel mechanical movements. I know the 7001 has a sub second hand at the 6:00 position, while the Eta 2804 has the date at the 6:00 position.

With all that being said:

Which one is the more expensive movement if one would just purchase the movement?

Which would would be known as a higher end movement?

Is one more reliable than the other?

Is one more rare or sought after than the other?

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: Higher End Mechanical Movement Eta 7001 or Eta 2804?

The 2801/2804 only comes in Standard and Elabore Grades, it is a Mecaline series.

The 7001 only comes in Top Grade, it is a Mecaline Specialites series.

The 2804 can have the date anywhere from 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock.

They are both just as reliable and durable, but the MecalineSpecialites line is a more up-market series....
    harryst likes this.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

They are not high grade nor prestigious movements but they are affordable and decent quality movements. They are not in the same league than philippe dufour, kari voutilainen, jlc, parmigiani, blancpain, patek, breguet, zenith, IWC, vintage omega, vintage longines, vintage certina and vintage rolex handwound movements
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mjnoles1 View Post
    I am looking at the same timepiece with two different movement options. Either the Eta 7001 or the Eta 2804.

I do know both are 17 jewel mechanical movements. I know the 7001 has a sub second hand at the 6:00 position, while the Eta 2804 has the date at the 6:00 position.

With all that being said:

Which one is the more expensive movement if one would just purchase the movement?

Which would would be known as a higher end movement?

Is one more reliable than the other?

Is one more rare or sought after than the other?
    Both movements are equally reliable, accurate and durable if they are serviced regularly. The 2804 has a date, is 3.3 mm high, hacks, has sweep seconds, has 46 hour reserve and runs at 28,800 bph. The 7001 has sub seconds, 42 hour reserve is 2.5 mm high and runs at 21,600 bph. There are very few rare watch movements and current production ETA movements are not among them.

Because the movements are comparable from the perspective of the watch wearer, I think you need to refocus your attention on what you want the movement to do once it is cased up. Do you want it to be as thin as possible? Are center or sub seconds important? Is a date complication important? Is a longer poiwer reserve a consideration? If you were to buy an uncased movement what would you do with it? Fitting it up to an existing watch with a different movement may prove to be a bigger challenge than is apparent.

Thread Information