Are the higher end Seiko worth getting?
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Are the higher end Seiko worth getting?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I'm not talking about Grand Seiko or Credor.
    Are the higher end SEIKO like the Landmaster or the Marinemaster 300 or even the SLA017 worth getting?
    I mean they're starting to push into Grand Seiko territory without the prestige or finishing.

Some people love the SLA017 but at the same time, it's priced higher than GrandSeiko and doesn't have that prestige.
    MikeCrunch likes this.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Re: Are the higher end Seiko worth getting?

But, Grand Seiko pricing is continuing to increase substantially. I remember hesitating about the $5700 MSRP of the SBGW253, and passing on the one I saw at the boutique in Madrid, but now that seems like an absolute bargain compared to what Grand Seiko routinely asks for their new models.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the SBGW253 case, as it was fully polished and did not have very sharp edges. I have the same criticism of the Nomos Lambda cases. Interestingly, at the same boutique, I saw the SLA017, and I have to say I found that to be much more interesting to me than the SBGW253.
    Gary123 and Nokie like this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

SLA017 equipped with a high-end Seiko movement, calibre 8L35, which was specially designed for dive watches – we’re not talking about an entry-level movement here, not at all. This movement is based on the architecture of the Grand Seiko 9S55, is finished in a very pleasant way, boasts 50h of power reserve, beats faster than standard Seiko movements (28,800 vibrations per hour) and is hand-assembled and hand-adjusted (rated to -10/+15 sec/day). These are the good news. But bad news is; to my opinion it is overpriced because limited edition.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe

I would say that yes, that high end seikos are worth having.

However, even a $250 turtle is an amazing watch. You don’t have to spend thousands to enjoy seiko quality, but you can.

Is a marine master 10x the watch that the turtle is? The price difference might suggest this, but maybe not a direct back to back wear test.

My bottom line is that you can’t really go wrong with many Seikos... you just need to match the right one to your style and budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nokie likes this.
    Time is the most valuable commodity in the world...

Quote Originally Posted by pardayan View Post
    SLA017 equipped with a high-end Seiko movement, calibre 8L35, which was specially designed for dive watches – we’re not talking about an entry-level movement here, not at all. This movement is based on the architecture of the Grand Seiko 9S55, is finished in a very pleasant way, boasts 50h of power reserve, beats faster than standard Seiko movements (28,800 vibrations per hour) and is hand-assembled and hand-adjusted (rated to -10/+15 sec/day). These are the good news. But bad news is; to my opinion it is overpriced because limited edition.
    While the 8L35 clearly has good bones, it's disappointing that Seiko rates it no better than a standard grade ETA 2824-2 (+/- 12 spd).
    imaCoolRobot and luth_ukail like this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Former owner of the SLA017/SBDX019 and I think it was worth every bit of its price. It remains one of the best looking watches I have ever seen and it’s finishing and build quality was exactly what you would expect at that price. Also had no problem with its accuracy despite its specs, though I am not a stickler for that kind of thing.

Haven’t handled other similarly priced Seiko but have seen them and if you like them, they are worth the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look again at the finishing.....while the bracelet is not well finished, the case and watch are.

Agree that the MSRP is insanely high,.....and so are many other brands.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Short answer: yes, usually, depending on your tastes and needs.
    Long answer: sure, but prices are getting a bit steep for the collective conscience in regards to a Seiko's worth; get it from a camera store in Japan for discount off MSRP and the duty and credit card bonus (~10%), and go back to my short answer.

That said, we need to start looking at The Citizen Chronomaster line as alternative; there is something good happening there.
    masqueman and vkalia like this.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    While the 8L35 clearly has good bones, it's disappointing that Seiko rates it no better than a standard grade ETA 2824-2 (+/- 12 spd).
    That's one of my gripes against Seiko

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by imaCoolRobot View Post
    I'm not talking about Grand Seiko or Credor.
    Are the higher end SEIKO like the Landmaster or the Marinemaster 300 or even the SLA017 worth getting?
    I mean they're starting to push into Grand Seiko territory without the prestige or finishing.
    They are mostly ugly, so no.
    imaCoolRobot likes this.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information