History of the Avia watch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul S Norcross

Thread: History of the Avia watch

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Ivy
    Ivy is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2

    Smile History of the Avia watch

    I was wondering if anyone can tell me any history about the Avia watch. Where and who developed the Company? I have a watch from my Grandmother (we think it is about 90 years old) She lived in Europe. We just would like to more about it and if it very valuable monetarly (if we should insure it) Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!
    Ivy

  2. #2
    stuffler,mike
    Guest

    Re: History of the Avia watch

    Avia - according to my knowledge - was founded in La Chaux-de-Fonds/Switzerland.
    The only Avia watches I know date about 1950/1960.
    Avia made worthy 750 gold cases but brass chrome plated cases too with (very) less expensive handwounded 15 jewels movements.
    Men´s watches (three-hand-watches and chronogaphs) for example have been equipped with Valjoux, Landeron and Venus movements.

    Can´t judge the value. The men´s watches mentioned sell for about 400 Euro, mostly based on the rare chrono movements.

  3. #3
    Ivy
    Ivy is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2

    Laughing Re: History of the Avia watch

    :thanks Thank you Mike,
    I am new to this Technology, so forgive the slow response. My grandmother's watch is 17 jewel movement and has a small ladies watch face.
    Thank you again and if you know anyone else that know anything else about them I appreciate it.
    Have a nice Day!

    Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike
    Avia - according to my knowledge - was founded in La Chaux-de-Fonds/Switzerland.
    The only Avia watches I know date about 1950/1960.
    Avia made worthy 750 gold cases but brass chrome plated cases too with (very) less expensive handwounded 15 jewels movements.
    Men´s watches (three-hand-watches and chronogaphs) for example have been equipped with Valjoux, Landeron and Venus movements.

    Can´t judge the value. The men´s watches mentioned sell for about 400 Euro, mostly based on the rare chrono movements.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    stuffler,mike
    Guest

    Re: History of the Avia watch

    The only pic I could find so far is this one: Men´s chrono made by Avia:


  6. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1

    Re: History of the Avia watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me any history about the Avia watch. Where and who developed the Company? I have a watch from my Grandmother (we think it is about 90 years old) She lived in Europe. We just would like to more about it and if it very valuable monetarly (if we should insure it) Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!
    Ivy
    Hello,
    If you want to know more about Avia make, please copy and paste the following string on the url line of your browser: http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=67385
    I also have an Avia lady watch given me by my English grandmother about thirty years ago, very old styled but still working.
    Bye.

  7. #6
    stuffler,mike
    Guest

    Re: History of the Avia watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Erica View Post
    Hello,
    If you want to know more about Avia make, please copy and paste the following string on the url line of your browser: http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=67385
    I also have an Avia lady watch given me by my English grandmother about thirty years ago, very old styled but still working.
    Bye.
    Quote: Avia brand watches range from classic designs to sport chronographs with suggested retail prices from approximately US$14 to $175 dollars.

    This statement makes me belive that the quality isn't comparable with the quality of those beautiful watches from the 50/60ties

  8. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1

    Off Topic post Re: History of the Avia watch

    Further to the Avia watch queries I have a Avia Automatic Dayter which displays the day in entirely and not abbreviated puchased by my mother for my 21st, I am now 67 both watch and I are fine.
    Jeru likes this.

  9. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1

    Re: History of the Avia watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me any history about the Avia watch. Where and who developed the Company? I have a watch from my Grandmother (we think it is about 90 years old) She lived in Europe. We just would like to more about it and if it very valuable monetarly (if we should insure it) Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!
    Ivy
    I have a beautiful Avia cocktail watch in solid 9ct given to me by my husband in 1963 as a 'first' Christmas gift. it is still running perfectly and to time!

  10. #9
    Member johnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    595

    Re: History of the Avia watch

    Looks like someone bought the name like Invicta did. Only Avia hasn't done as well.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    31

    Re: History of the Avia watch

    Just picked up a lovely Avia 15 jewels off EBay for £18 .Name:  IMG_20161123_135114.jpg
Views: 5402
Size:  1.40 MB

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. B-1 model history?
      By Ron Engels in forum Breitling
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: May 31st, 2006, 21:09
    2. History of Sinn
      By Kool Cat in forum Sinn
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: May 29th, 2006, 22:17
    3. Hanhart History & Characteristics
      By stuffler,mike in forum German watches
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: April 3rd, 2006, 20:36
    4. Lug size of the Classic Avia II ?
      By Engi in forum Russian watches
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: March 21st, 2006, 14:31
    5. Omega History?
      By Zidane in forum Omega
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: March 4th, 2006, 07:04

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •