History of the Avia watch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul S Norcross

Thread: History of the Avia watch

Ivy

Smile History of the Avia watch

I was wondering if anyone can tell me any history about the Avia watch. Where and who developed the Company? I have a watch from my Grandmother (we think it is about 90 years old) She lived in Europe. We just would like to more about it and if it very valuable monetarly (if we should insure it) Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!
    Ivy

stuffler,mike

Re: History of the Avia watch

Avia - according to my knowledge - was founded in La Chaux-de-Fonds/Switzerland.
    The only Avia watches I know date about 1950/1960.
    Avia made worthy 750 gold cases but brass chrome plated cases too with (very) less expensive handwounded 15 jewels movements.
    Men´s watches (three-hand-watches and chronogaphs) for example have been equipped with Valjoux, Landeron and Venus movements.

Can´t judge the value. The men´s watches mentioned sell for about 400 Euro, mostly based on the rare chrono movements.

Ivy

Laughing Re: History of the Avia watch

:thanks Thank you Mike,
    I am new to this Technology, so forgive the slow response. My grandmother's watch is 17 jewel movement and has a small ladies watch face.
    Thank you again and if you know anyone else that know anything else about them I appreciate it.
    Have a nice Day!

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike
    Avia - according to my knowledge - was founded in La Chaux-de-Fonds/Switzerland.
    The only Avia watches I know date about 1950/1960.
    Avia made worthy 750 gold cases but brass chrome plated cases too with (very) less expensive handwounded 15 jewels movements.
    Men´s watches (three-hand-watches and chronogaphs) for example have been equipped with Valjoux, Landeron and Venus movements.

Can´t judge the value. The men´s watches mentioned sell for about 400 Euro, mostly based on the rare chrono movements.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

The only pic I could find so far is this one: Men´s chrono made by Avia:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me any history about the Avia watch. Where and who developed the Company? I have a watch from my Grandmother (we think it is about 90 years old) She lived in Europe. We just would like to more about it and if it very valuable monetarly (if we should insure it) Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!
    Ivy
    Hello,
    If you want to know more about Avia make, please copy and paste the following string on the url line of your browser: http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=67385
    I also have an Avia lady watch given me by my English grandmother about thirty years ago, very old styled but still working.
    Bye.

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Erica View Post
    Hello,
    If you want to know more about Avia make, please copy and paste the following string on the url line of your browser: http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=67385
    I also have an Avia lady watch given me by my English grandmother about thirty years ago, very old styled but still working.
    Bye.
    Quote: Avia brand watches range from classic designs to sport chronographs with suggested retail prices from approximately US$14 to $175 dollars.

This statement makes me belive that the quality isn't comparable with the quality of those beautiful watches from the 50/60ties

Off Topic post Re: History of the Avia watch

Further to the Avia watch queries I have a Avia Automatic Dayter which displays the day in entirely and not abbreviated puchased by my mother for my 21st, I am now 67 both watch and I are fine.
    Jeru likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Ivy
    I have a beautiful Avia cocktail watch in solid 9ct given to me by my husband in 1963 as a 'first' Christmas gift. it is still running perfectly and to time!

Looks like someone bought the name like Invicta did. Only Avia hasn't done as well.

Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Just picked up a lovely Avia 15 jewels off EBay for £18 .Name:  IMG_20161123_135114.jpg
Views: 5402
Size:  1.40 MB

Thread Information