Hmm what to get? Peculiar requirements's

Thread: Hmm what to get? Peculiar requirements's

Hmm what to get? Peculiar requirements's

I'm a watch head, I don't have many but I definitely do enjoy a nice watch. Though who I'm with, she cant stand the sound of a ticking second hand...! Thankfully that is the only thing I'm grumpy about, but I need a new watch, been to long since I've worn one.

Here is what I need:

• Durable, more so the glass
    • Alarm (be nice more than one depending on day)
    • Longevity
    • 100m, I get stuck in rain, or forget in showers, or occasional jump in a pool...
    • Small, not any of these huge wrist contraptions, I'm not one with a huge wrist, most wont even fit... For an easy reference, a swatch chronograph is about perfect size, a bit bigger is ok If memory serves right it was 41-43mm diameter

Here is what would be nice to have:

• Analog, or Analog/Digital (I can live with all digital but only if it looks good)
    • no ticking second hand (large sweep hand of a chronograph is fine, but the smaller ticker is taboo)
    • Temperature
    • Compass
    • Designy, Sharp, etc. Rather not have a "tool" looking device like a Pathfinder, but I do love military watches.
    • Low height

My budget is flexible, short term (if were order today) is sub $400, if I wait a month it grows to 500-1200$ but the higher would have to be really justifiable (the perfect watch, more durable).

I've looked at many, G-Shocks, Pathfinders, Suunto (I love x-lander but I think its way to large). My personal favorite is the Seiko Sportua Alarm Chrono, or some of MTM's (but they run big).

I'd serious like any help, I've been stuck for way to long...

Re: Hmm what to get? Peculiar requirements's

Are you saying you don't want a small seconds subdial or that you don't want a quartz watch?
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Casio Oceanus or Seiko Prospex quartz solar atomic.
    Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Are you saying you don't want a small seconds sub-dial or that you don't want a quartz watch?
    Yes thats correct, no small seconds subdial. As it's the constant ticking that makes her incredibly mad. Unless of course it's barely audible or silent... Though I've yet to see a watch like that affordable ;)

slvk, I'll look into those.

I did try on a gshock just now (regular cheap $130 one) and it was a bit on the larger size, the one's they have with analog + digital seems a bit smaller was perfect. Pathfinder... well the natural contour for it was still to large, I had it only on the 3rd notch, looked ridiculous.

Er, Tissot T Sailing Touch? Model Ref:
    T056.420.21.051.00

see the brand site: Tissot

You need no ticking sound, but you like analog or at least "looks good." I'll suggest something that I do not own, because all my watches have ticking hands. I think the most beautiful digital dial watches come from Suunto. Some of their watches are are really lovely, and they have digital displays with no ticking. You can find images with a search engine. Go look - you might find one that you like. There's also a new experimental Seiko with digital ink technology, but that might still be unobtanium.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Quote Originally Posted by thephilz View Post
    Yes thats correct, no small seconds subdial. As it's the constant ticking that makes her incredibly mad. Unless of course it's barely audible or silent... Though I've yet to see a watch like that affordable ;)

slvk, I'll look into those.

I did try on a gshock just now (regular cheap $130 one) and it was a bit on the larger size, the one's they have with analog + digital seems a bit smaller was perfect. Pathfinder... well the natural contour for it was still to large, I had it only on the 3rd notch, looked ridiculous.
    Well, my Seiko is eerily quiet. My Glycine (manual wind) can be heard over light noise, it's so loud.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

I also recommend the T-touch line...
    Mike

So, you are looking for an analog watch with no second hand since virtually allof them tick at some rate. Or a digital display which shows seconds but doesn't have an audible tick. A large sweeping chronpgraph hand will have a tick to it.

Ubnless you go for a meccnanical dress watch with no seconds hand or a quartz digital link one of the Seiko watches I'm don't know what to offer. You could go with a Seiko Spring Drive which has a seconds hand but no tick at all.

I'd recommend a Breitling Aerospace E75362. It would be more than you immediate budget would allow, but I think I picked this one up for in the neighborhood of 1,300 or there abouts. 100 meter water resistant, no second hand, 40mm diameter and about 10mm thick. It's driven by a thermocompensated "super quartz", and Breitling claims +/- 15 seconds per year accuracy. Mine is doing quite a bit better than that, gaining less than a second a month. I prefer it on the Zulu, but the titanium bracelet is more than decent too. The newer version of the Aerospace is 42mm, and a bit thicker, but still doesn't wear excessively large. Good luck with your hunt!

Mark

Thread Information