WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Hodinkee officially endorses MVMT...

4K views 65 replies 53 participants last post by  Adventuredan 
#1 ·
Here's the article: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-mvmt-arc-automatics-jet-noir-and-ivory-oak

Looks like Hodinkee is now standing strong behind MVMT's watches, and is recommending these watches to the Hodinkee readership.

Two thoughts:

1) Time to buy up MVMTs to benefit from the inevitable "Hodinkee Effect" resales price boom, right?

2) I wonder just how much MVMT / Movado (which now owns MVMT) paid Hodinkee's editors for this little fluff piece.

Edit: for those who don't know, this is what MVMT sells:
Watch Analog watch Wrist Watch accessory Leather

See less See more
#5 ·
I actually like the design though at 41mm I think these watches are a bit large. For a change, it's also nice to see Hodinkee write about watches that the average watch enthusiast can actually pay without having to rob a bank first... I love to read about all those very exclusive Pateks, Piagets and Vacherons, but let's be honest, these are not really accessible to most enthusiasts or collectors.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FIG-LX1 met Tapatalk

#47 ·
Not clicking on any Hodenknee? articles today. The ones I stumbled upon, described a plastic watch as having "gravitas" and another article was using lots of german words as "uber" "zeitgeist". Hilarious poseurs.

Can't take them seriously.

Charlie
Über actually means something completely different in German than how most people colloquially use it. I have not read the article you referenced, but I can validate your sneering due to their probable incorrect usage of German.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Reactions: slcbbrown
#14 ·
Same here. I also didn't think Hodinkee endorsed the brand, but one author gave his opinion.

I like the design and I think they are good looking watches. While they don't appeal to me beyond their looks (given the other options), I'd buy one for someone to whom they appeal.

#21 ·
Writing an article is an endorsement now?
Writing a positive article about a brand with infamous marketing and pricing practices without mentioning any of that, and without mentioning some obvious downsides that everyone can see with MVMT... yes, that's endorsement.

Moreover, MVMT is known to buy favourable reviews and recommendations from a number of youtube and instagram "style influencers". For example, see this infamous video, featuring exactly the watches Hodinkee just praised:

With this article, Hodinkee* has not shown any difference, and they have kept back any honest commentary that any in-the-know watch people would have regarding the design, build quality, and specifications.

*- yes, Hodinkee. The article has one author, sure, but that author is a long-time Hodinkee editor, and by having the article on the website, it explicitly has the appearance and backing of the entire Hodinkee team. As long as the author is writing for Hodinkee, on Hodinkee website, and is employed by Hodinkee, then said author does in fact represent Hodinkee.

#18 ·
Yeah, reading the article, the tone is positive but a little patronizing. That’s not uncommon for them when they move under their usual price bracket.
When I first saw these watches, I thought they looked surprisingly OK for l being MVMT - although a little bland. I would not get them, there are so many more interesting watches for that money. Any review like that (sponsored or not) should not be the only basis for an informed purchase, just an additional data point.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

#31 ·
I almost gasped when I saw this article on there but after seeing the pieces, and reading the article, they're not terrible. They're someone comparable to the Bambino in a way. And they have a semi-respectable movement, maybe a little overpriced though. To me it just boils down to the way MVMT is branded and marketed, as just a fashion object with no meaning behind it.

I would never buy one because there are way better options for that price range, and they're just not for me. But it is cool to see them offering automatics that may get people more interested in higher end or even other brands at the same price point.

#32 ·
just a fashion object with no meaning behind it.
I feel I've done this with watches for over 40 years... I'm not defending MVMT or Hodinkee, but this is sort of the point underneath vanity items, like fashion and jewelry.

And I'm happy to see Movado continuing to do things with the MVMT name, for the investor's sake at a minimum. Nothing worse than selling your company to someone and they let it go to crap. Movado has their head on a swivel, and putting up material on Hodinkee is a smart move.*

* Objectively speaking. Subjectively speaking, never in a million years would I wear either brand (I'm not in their target demographic), but I do appreciate savvy marketing and business moves. And hey, even "bad press" is press... After all, it's got a small corner of WUS up in arms, right??? ;)

EDIT: You guys are wizards - look at what you've done to their stock! LOL! ;)

Attachments

Reactions: barryallen44
#33 ·
Has hodinkee ever really been a thing though? And by thing, I mean a 'thing' that wis/wus would endorse or find steeping in bonafides? I've always found them over-priced in all modes. Gimmicky. Some Good articles, a little 'tmz'y' re celebrity collections. They have some grossly-overpriced Hodinkee-edition watches, naturally they've endorsed the pleb-beloved-mvmt -- is that surprising? I'll take some of the articles, leave the rest.

#37 ·
Weall know of good substance comes from the likes of hodinkee and worn and wound, but they are(for 100% understandable reasons) driven solely by profit. They provide us with zero objective opinions. They push products that benefit themselves and their friends. Use them for the information about releases. Ignore reviews and suggestions. Buying from them is just not something I'm interested in supporting.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.