Holding back on buying more watches
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Holding back on buying more watches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Holding back on buying more watches

I've read this forum for some time and a common rule is to buy what you like regardless of everything else (comments, brand, price, perception etc.) Also, I've read that if you think too much about buying something, maybe it is not worth it and you should not buy it.

Then comes this dilemma that I have: I see a watch that I really like and I would buy it without thinking about it twice. And then... I give some though to it and it happens often. I think about it a little more and I feel I can't be buying 5+ watches every year or I'll end up with 100s eventually haha. I love the ones that I have right now and there's a few more that I would love to have.

How do you guys restrain yourselves from buying more?

Re: Holding back on buying more watches

We don't.

Some of us just learn to live with our short-comings.

I can't

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just recall the money loss when you sell some of your watch to aquire a new one that you like more. Think about the servicing fees involved with high end watches. As last when you already possess watches that you love, think about what else you could do with the money, like travelling, hang out, saving etc...
    Nonetheless sometimes the pulsions are uncontrollable lol
    Watches safe with me :

giving up listing ...

Gone but not forgotten ^^
    Subc LV ( hulk ) , Speedy pro , Pelagos , Black Bay , ML MP 7138 , GMTiic , Explorer ii polar , Stowa Flieger LE , Zenith captain PR , Seamaster Pro and a bunch of others :(

Name:  homer-simpson-quote-600x.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  90.5 KB
    "Unum Non Satis"

Am craving for the pelagos Btw... Been twice to the shop and so managed to stay reasonable... The question is for how long hehe
    Watches safe with me :

giving up listing ...

Gone but not forgotten ^^
    Subc LV ( hulk ) , Speedy pro , Pelagos , Black Bay , ML MP 7138 , GMTiic , Explorer ii polar , Stowa Flieger LE , Zenith captain PR , Seamaster Pro and a bunch of others :(

I had a fancy idea of keeping more than 30 watches in a rotating watch winder just to be qualified in the WIS category. then I come to realized, the more u spend ur time with one specific watch, the more special it become. Ofcourse, the watch has to be unique to you. and if you can afford it, buy the one that is appeal to the masses and hold a good value... in my opinion, save the money for one very good watch than wasting time with 100 affordable ones.
    Inca Bloc and WatchNRolla like this.
    i have many many memory with many watches, but the only one that is worthy is my all time favorite - the Tudor Submariner 79090.

The overall cost and expenses are part of the reason I don't buy more. I like to stay in my comfort zone with the overall money tied up. The cost of ownership is also a factor, such as servicing and insuring each one. With servicing costs higher than ever, I definitely cant afford to have 10-15 watches in the rotation. I have also moved away from the more complicated pieces for that reason.

My self control is aided by geographic location, having 4 children to pay school fees for and Mrs O who just says no!
    My last purchase was in August ( 1 for me and 1 for my wife) we agreed to put them away until christmas, so I have had the odd peek but they are still essentially unworn and anticipated.

The latest suggestion was to hold off buying anything until my 50th in May 2016 !!! Seems a very long way away but on the up side it gives me lots of saving time and research time.
    I want to create a list of possibles, top - middle - and lower range of budget.
    I am currently trying to compile a photo based options list.........cue future extended What shall I buy thread!
    ​Bremont MB2
    Seiko MM300
    Tudor Black Bay
    Bretling SOH 46 Blue
    Victorinox Officer Quartz

Kickstarter....Calligraph Duneshore

I rarely buy watches on a whim, I keep a list of watches I want which usually hovers between 5 and 10. The watch slowly works its way to the top. During that time I constantly reevaluate whether it should stay on the list, I would say 60-70% off them fall off without ever making it to number one. This process significantly reduces the number of watches I get but regret. When a watch reaches number 1 it usually gets some serious thought before I actually purchase it which I usually force myself to spend several months on. I suppose in the end my process doesn't prevent me from making "too many" watch purchases but it does help me prevent making too many bad ones.
    Mark in TCI, colgex, mleok and 4 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information