Homage experiment leads to real thing
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Homage experiment leads to real thing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Homage experiment leads to real thing

I know homage watches take a lot of criticism here and rightly so in probably all cases. But this is a situation where the experimentation of a homage lead to a double purchase of the actual. A few years ago after becoming very interested in the NOMOS brand of in house movement German time pieces, I saw the Rodina Chinese homage that seemed like a reasonable investment cost to see exactly how I might like the actual NOMOS on my wrist and how often I would really wear it. Turns out I liked it a lot, especially with dress shirts or suits over t-shirts and casual. I knew I wanted the real deal but had not made the purchase yet and was not sure when I would. Just returned from a month long work/holiday trip all over Australia and took note of the very strong US dollar to the Australian which offered a significant savings. After a little research while there I discovered that the only NOMOS dealer in Australia is in Sydney which was essentially the last city I would be spending a week in with my girlfriend. The firm is called Master Watchmaking and they are on the 10th floor of an office building downtown and deal mostly in a small assortment of used and vintage pieces along with being an authorized NOMOS dealer. Very nice people including the presumably Swiss fellow that was most certainly the watch maker and repair guy in the office although I did not catch his name. We walked over just to see the NOMOS selection and check prices but got quickly caught up in the knowledge and service of this store and the personal attention we were given to closely examine all the models and try anything on we liked. They had every model including the very popular Metro which I was told is on a bit of a waiting list at the moment for certain models. The savings of the strong US dollar and the GST tax refund at the airport were too tempting. The next thing I know my girlfriend and I are picking out models for ourselves. After looking at pretty much all of them including the Ahoi and Tangomat which were close possibilities, we both decided on the traditional Tangente manual winders with no date for the cleanest Bauhaus look and original Alpha in house movement. I got the 38mm with black strap, she got the 35mm with the gray velour. Both have the display window on the back to see the beautiful jeweled movements. We love the pieces and the excellent service at Master Watchmaking. Anyone visiting Sydney should make a point to go have a look and meet the folks there. Watch repair Sydney - Master Watchmaking : watch restoration, Sydney Cbd, Sydney Eastern Suburb, Sydney North Shore, buy watch, sell watch, nomos

The homage that I started with. I must say that Rodina really nails the Tangente look and was certainly worth the small investment to test.
    Name:  Rodina on wrist 8-26-15.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  156.1 KB

Our new his and her NOMOS Tangente.
    Name:  NOMOS both.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  151.6 KB

My Tangente 38
    Name:  NOMOS on wrist 10-19-15.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  212.2 KB

I am considering ordering the same gray velour strap that she has just to change mine around some when I feel like it. Overall we are happy NOMOS owners and had a fantastic and memorable experience at this Sydney dealer. And I am proud to say I now own a legitimate in house movement time piece. So here is a happy ending story where a homage test lead to a double authentic purchase which may never have happened had I not been able to evaluate my liking of the piece before committing.

Thanks for reading........
    Last edited by Bueller67; October 20th, 2015 at 00:47.

Re: Homage experiment leads to real thing

Beautiful Nomos. Congrats.
    Nice to see a very very rare case of "homage as a test ride"

congrats! now picture of the caseback please?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The back of my Tangente 38. Not a great photo but best I could do for now.

Name:  NOMOS back.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  315.8 KB

Nice movement there. Thank you! Anyway I wasn't really into Nomos, but your watch lead me to their website and I think I like the Ahoi, but it doesn't say anything about the power reserve. Does anybody know?
    Last edited by dr3ws; October 20th, 2015 at 01:38.

Quote Originally Posted by dr3ws View Post
    Nice movement there. Thank you! Anyway I wasn't really into Nomos, but your watch lead me to their website and I think I like the Ahoi, but it doesn't say anything about the power reserve. Does anybody know?
    The Nomos Epsilon movement has a 43 hour power reserve.

Very interesting - I did the exact same test ride. In my case I found I didn't wear the watch much, and while I love the Nomos (and Stowa) Bauhaus watches from a stylistic and technical perspective I now know they're better off on other people.

I've got a little sub experiment going now... will see how it pans out.

Very cool story. That is what this watch this is really about, IMO.
    Current:
    Omega wavy dial Seamaster 300m (my engagment ring circa 2004)
    Stowa Ikarus Blue hands/onion dial

Next up:
    Datejust 16234

Rolling eyes Re: Homage experiment leads to real thing

"Homage", right.

Congrats on your new watches! I think I would be tempted to give the 35mm sized one some wrist time as well...
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information