Is 'Homage' just a polite way of ripping off another brand?
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Ausman600
  • 1 Post By little big feather
  • 4 Post By sduford
  • 2 Post By lysanderxiii
  • 2 Post By Ray MacDonald

Thread: Is 'Homage' just a polite way of ripping off another brand?

Is 'Homage' just a polite way of ripping off another brand?

I must first say I don't have any real issues with a Homage of a past watch that is no longer in production however I seem to see quite a few Homages popping up of well known watches currently in production.

I.E: Omega Aqua Terra, Omega Speedmaster, Panerai and of course Rolex sub.

Curious to see how others feel about it?

I wonder where we draw the line as I know that fakes are frowned upon but it seems to be a fine line between exactly copying someone else's product and exactly copying someone else's product and just putting your name on it.
    fizzbin1701 likes this.

Re: Is 'Homage' just a polite way of ripping off another brand?

Depends on how much of a direct copy it is. Direct copies of intellectual property (designs) are theft, straight up. Being inspired by another design and creating sometning like it in spirit - think Karman Ghia versus Porsche 912 - is OK, but most, assuming they can afford it, will prefer the original IMHO.

Good question..... I think I've heard this "song" b/4...Let's see who
    dances to it.........1....2.....3.....
    bluloo likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think we need another word. Homage means paying honor to or showing respect to. Ripping off a design that is still being manufactured is anything but an homage. Inspiration for a new design based on a pass classic could be appropriately called an homage. But making a cheap Chinese copy of an existing design is not the same as honoring it.
    Archimede Pilot 42H, Chr.Ward C60 Trident Pro, Dan Henry 1964 GT, Hamilton Intra-Matic, Melbourne Flinders & Portsea, Orient Bambino, PerpetuaL R-01, Seiko's SRPC93 & SNE498, Szanto 1204, Traser H3 Classic Master, Vostok Amphibia, WUS F72 GMT.

Web: Crown & Rotor, IG: @crownandrotor FB: @crownandrotor

Quote Originally Posted by sduford View Post
    I think we need another word. Homage means paying honor to or showing respect to. Ripping off a design that is still being manufactured is anything but an homage. Inspiration for a new design based on a pass classic could be appropriately called an homage. But making a cheap Chinese copy of an existing design is not the same as honoring it.
    I think you nailed it there.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

ilitig8 and Orex like this.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Quote Originally Posted by sduford View Post
    +2

But when you see the country that produce these so called homage,they don't even honor intellectual property or trademark

Depends on the kind of agreement one brand has with another. In a perfect world, if Rolex, for example, has an agreement with another brand to use the design of the Submariner, directly or loosely, it's a win-win situation for both - for Rolex because it generates a secondary source of revenue with its intellectual property, and for the other brand, because it'll be able to tap a market segment Rolex wouldn't with a $8k submariner. Of course, a lot of these homages don't follow this path - please note I used the term - IN AN IDEAL WORLD before placing my example.

Sorry but I've lost patience dealing with this topic. Go back a week or so and read the other seven hundred posts on it.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/best-quality-rolex-style-watches-homages-2014-a-962154.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/parn...em-956217.html
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; January 7th, 2014 at 15:03.
    Orex and drhr like this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information