WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Homages where to draw the line

3K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  abingdon 
#1 ·
Seems to me if you have to refer to Various Sterile , Alpha's and Parnis's by they watch they replicate its a copy Alpha Sub. Alpha SMP, Alpha Daytona, Parnis Uboat. Parnis Panari etc.

#2 ·
This has been discussed many times. The forum accepts the concept of an homage as a sterile dial lookalike. Anything with a proprietary dial or that violates copyright is a fake and discussions or photos are not permitted in the forum. Not all members agree with this, but it is what it is and we have to make some sort of distinction.

#5 · (Edited)
Agreed however the point I am making is if you have to refer to a watch as to the name of the watch your copying that pretty lame as the examples cite, i saw a topic today about a 'parnis uboat' where is should be my big honking sized parnis that 'reminds me' of a certain uboat model. The name is being appropriated
\
heck the mk ii's are clearly sub homages but they at least have a name, some differentiation (raven, squale etc)

#4 ·
I have no reservations at all if the homage is made by the company that originally created the watch (Longines Flagship Heritage for example). Once you get past that point, I want the homage to at least be something you can't get anymore and then modernized and tweaked in some meaningful way by the company offering it. MKII is especially good at doing this.

#6 ·
Same here. Several companies make hommages to their own historic watches.
I would accept if a company made a hommage of a model ( different manufacturer) long dead, but never of a current production model.

Also, I expect the hommage to be a full quality one, not a cheap repro.

#10 ·
People often use words/phrases as a matter of convenience. It's probably best to avoid taking such examples too literally.

#16 ·
Thanks! Will read!

#18 ·
I think homages are useful to get an idea if the style of a thousands of dollars watch works for you. But I have a hard time accepting a watch that looks exactly like another watch as a regular wear watch.

Having said that, I think there are a lot of watches that are declared "homages" that are NOT in my opinion. For example I've heard the Orient Mako and Ray referred to as Sub homages, and IMO they are NOT. Being of similar style does not constitute a homage....

#20 ·
I think homages are useful to get an idea if the style of a thousands of dollars watch works for you. But I have a hard time accepting a watch that looks exactly like another watch as a regular wear watch.

Having said that, I think there are a lot of watches that are declared "homages" that are NOT in my opinion. For example I've heard the Orient Mako and Ray referred to as Sub homages, and IMO they are NOT. Being of similar style does not constitute a homage....
Well take a look at this. I actually commented that while the watch can be an homage, it's just wrong that they used the Montblanc logo on the crown. Check out my comment on page 8: https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/tgif-wruw-2-15-13-a-818129-8.html

#21 ·
Personally, for a while now I have not really cared either way about homages. I don't really see watch designs as proprietary or a piece of art. If someone likes the sub design but doesn't want to pay $$$$ why shouldn't they be able to wear something that looks like it for less, makes no difference to me.

#23 ·
If I throw out a wild idea, it almost seems like the manufacturer of that watch dabbles in printing the Montblanc name on the dial. ..... Just for own, private use, of course!

#27 ·
I just read an interesting article in a Mercedes Benz publication. There has been some homages made of the 300 Gullwing.
Mercedes has gone to court, and the german authorities will seize and destroy any "homages" of Mercedes cats, if they ate in Gemany. The article showed what they did to one of the cars. The part with was encroaching on the IP, the body, was crushed, but no other parts were damaged. Apparently there is a company that is homaging the SSK, and MB said that if any of those vehicles are taking to Germany the Customs will destroy it.

The SSK is a late 1920 vehicle, the 300 Gullwing a late 50's vehicle.

I wonder why watch manufacturers do not try to apply those rules. Any Rolex etc homage that gets into Switzerland is destroyed.

#30 ·
Omega eatches made from spare parts? But where do these spare parts come from? I doubt Omega will sell 1000 units of every component a watch is made from?

#32 ·
The problem is that there is no distinction between the object itself and the intention of the object.

A replica or homage is by itself not a bad thing, especially if that replica/homage is of a thing that no longer exists or even if the replica/homage is made to give those who can't afford the £5000 a chance to have something on their wrist that looks like the watch of their dreams.

The issue for me arises when the replica is made with the intention of fooling a consumer i.e a proper illegal knock-off/fake.
In that repects, my position on the whole thing is very much like the official position of WUS - as long as it isn't a fake-copy, I'm ok with it.
I'd rather there be homages of good looking watches than a whole bunch of original but ugly ones.

I can bear those legitimate watches made to imitate others (yes... Submariner clones) as no matter how close they look, they don't try to fool anyone really and considering that many of them cost less than 1/10 of the Submariner and still provide, in most cases, a very sturdy Swiss made movement in a very sturdy case.

#33 ·

Here's a "Guess Collection" homage to a Cartier Pasha. The Pasha design has been around for 80 years and this Guess model is by no means the first copy. It doesn't claim to be anything other than a quartz fashion watch.
Nice watch, but I doubt anyone will think it's a Cartier, even if they recognize the Pasha influence. Whether you call it an homage or knockoff it isn't a fake. Perfectly acceptable to me and to the forum.

#34 ·
I don't really have a problem if one wants to buy a sterile (or Parnis branded) homage that is clearly meant to be a clone of a popular watch. I understand not everyone can afford the "real thing" when it comes to their grails... and if it makes someone feel good to own an homage, more power to them. I owned a PAM homage for a couple months when I first started getting into watches, and it never felt right wearing it, so I sold it and saved up until I could afford the real thing. But to each their own.

But can I ask a favor of you, my fellow WUSers? If you want to show off your homage in the WRUW thread (particularly in the Public Forum), can you avoid posting like 8 or 10 photos of said piece? I might be interested in seeing more than one picture of a genuine PAM/IWC/Rolex/whatever, but 8 pictures of a clone homage with a Chinese movement is excessive, IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.